WR position officially wide open

Y’all can’t tell me Manny doesn’t read the boards.
I would definitely agree with that if I started seeing on Or after Mcleods name. Till I see that I’m not sure because that dude is trash and doesn’t belong on the field in anyway shape or form let alone starting. Smh but atleast manny has sent the message to the god awful upper classmen receivers.

Advertisement
Going forward to me the WR group should be:

XWR - Mark Pope/ Michael Redding
SWR - Mike Harley/ Xavier Restrepo
ZWR - Keyshawn Smith/ Jeremiah Payton

Now my reasoning for not putting Pope in the Slot like many have suggested is, if Harely wasn't in the slot, he would never get a chance to catch a ball, he simply can't matchup with the either side of the Corners, so keeping him the Slot is where he's most effective. And yes the staff is still going to play Harley no matter what, I understand most want him to be banished for good but that's just unrealistic.

I would be good with him being the backup as well if Pope got put at Slot, I just don't see a scenario where they won't play Harley despite whatever they're saying in the media.

Pope doesn't necessarily do great against the Defenses best CB either, however, my logic is if the opposing #1 CB doesn't respect Pope much he'll basically just play him straight up, which means Pope can be an effective decoy in pulling that Defender up the field to clear out a zone on the Field side of the hashes in which the Slot or the Flanker can come underneath against & get more favorable matchups.

The main reason I would put Keyshawn at Flanker is because there's not a single Boundary Corner on our schedule fast enough to keep up with him & it would be the best way to get him the ball down the field. It's what my Ravens do with Hollywood Brown, they line him up in the Slot at times & as the WR2 to get him the ball on Deep routes because DC's don't wanna move their #1 Corner over to the Boundary side.

Or, they could go with:

XWR - Michael Redding/ Dee Wiggins
SWR - Mark Pope/Mike Harley/ Xavier Restrepo
ZWR - Keyshawn Smith/Jeremiah Payton

But realistically speaking you probably won't see too much swapping positions amongst the WR's because in the type of offense we run the WR's usually only learn 1/4th of the all the WR assignments, meaning the X's only learn the X's, the Z's only learn the Z, the Y/Slot only learns the Slot etc.. The reason for this is because in an Uptempo Air Raid/Spread the plays have to be simplified in order to get lined up quickly & knowing exactly which routes to run for which play, also the blocking assignments differ from each WR too. It may sound dumb, but that's how most Uptempo Spread offenses do it with their WR's, they usually teach guys just their spot & don't cross-train at WR because 70% of what they do on a snap to snap basis is predicated on knowing exactly what to do very quickly.

hmmm ....

hear you on this. my take?

1) question whether given what we have seen so far, the "conventional" role of having your Flanker (Z) on the boundary side really hold true enough (for enough snaps) in this style of offense. there's plenty of snaps/sets where the strong side of the passing formation is to field.

2) if you go with 12 set looks (Brevin/Mallory) .... which I pray to whatever non-existent deity is out there that they do .... in such a doubles look, would you then go with two Z types on the outside (e.g., Smith/Payton) or 2 X types (Redding/Pope)? Or do you go with Smith/Redding?

3) as much as an enigma as wiggins is, given his athleticism and measurables, i'm starting to wonder if payton is not falling into the same bucket? he's too physically talented not to have an impact in this offense. my only take is that much like mallory, where he's a target and just not seeing the ball when he's in there, King is not doing a good job getting throws to payton. maybe overthrowing a wide open payton by 8 yards when he was alone in the end zone that early game was a bad omen

Just thinking out loud.

Advertisement
Elevating better players on the depth chart is a bad look...ok Would you rather them stick with it just for optics sake or something?

There was minimal pre-season this year to evaluate guys. I'm not all that surprised the upperclassmen got the nod for most positions bc of that.

Don't be condescending if you're going to be purposefully ******* stupid.

My point is, there is nothing of substance by telling the public that there is an open competition.

THERE SHOULD BE AN OPEN COMPETITION EVERY WEEK AND YOU SHOULD BE EVALUATING EVERY WEEK AND ELEVATING THE BEST PLAYERS ALL. THE. TIME. If you haven't been doing this as a coach, then you're grossly incompetent.

minimal time to evaluate guys? Wiggins, Harley and Pope are upper classmen. it's ******* week 6. they've played 5 games and have been practicing for 3 months.

The **** are you talking about?

I don't like listing 9 guys as starting wide receiver. Stop coddling them like children and treat them like men. Our starting 3 have played themselves off the field. They are the most unaggressive bunch I've seen at this university in my 30 years of being a fan. If they were serious about challenging them to get better, put them behind someone and make them earn it back. Just because you get pulled doesn't mean you cant get yourself back on the field. Its also a disservice to the young guys to always be teased with playing time and not getting it, gonna lead to transfers in the long run.

I think Manny should make the change for UVA then review the product on the field and the next 2 weeks have those guys battle it out from behind the young guns if warranted.

Your struggles have less to do with my conclusion and more to do with you being a ******' idiot.
Well, heres a simple one for you. Its very easy, and not very hard to understand. Ready? Okay.

Our first three opponents didnt show glaring holes in our starting WRs. Why? First week vs UAB was a ground and pound gameplan. Second Week against Louisville and Third Week against FSU were horrible defenses. There was no basis to change something up. WR production was not good, but decent.

However, playing against Clemson and Pitt showed the weakness of the WR group. Therefore, the competition gets opened up and therefore, other guys get opportunities.

The willingness to change something in order to improve this 4-1, almost 40 point a game offense is not a bad look on the offensive coaching staff. Thats incredibly moronic. Got it? Good. Now shut up, idiot.

Advertisement
Don't be condescending if you're going to be purposefully ******* stupid.

My point is, there is nothing of substance by telling the public that there is an open competition.

THERE SHOULD BE AN OPEN COMPETITION EVERY WEEK AND YOU SHOULD BE EVALUATING EVERY WEEK AND ELEVATING THE BEST PLAYERS ALL. THE. TIME. If you haven't been doing this as a coach, then you're grossly incompetent.

minimal time to evaluate guys? Wiggins, Harley and Pope are upper classmen. it's ******* week 6. they've played 5 games and have been practicing for 3 months.

The **** are you talking about?
And I can very easily tell you never participated or coached in any sport.

You are just chatting bull****. This talk is way over your head. Sit down, be humble.

Well, heres a simple one for you. Its very easy, and not very hard to understand. Ready? Okay.

Our first three opponents didnt show glaring holes in our starting WRs. Why? First week vs UAB was a ground and pound gameplan. Second Week against Louisville and Third Week against FSU were horrible defenses. There was no basis to change something up. WR production was not good, but decent.

However, playing against Clemson and Pitt showed the weakness of the WR group. Therefore, the competition gets opened up and therefore, other guys get opportunities.

The willingness to change something in order to improve this 4-1, almost 40 point a game offense is not a bad look on the offensive coaching staff. Thats incredibly moronic. Got it? Good. Now shut up, idiot.

"The willingness to change the something in order to improve?" Are you actually stupid or are you just pretending?

WHY THE **** WOULD THE COACHING STAFF NOT BE DOING THIS ALL THE TIME? and if they aren't wouldn't that reflect poorly on them? use your ******* head.

the WR group has been **** only the last 2 weeks?
it's been **** for 3 ******* years man!
We haven't had a half decent receiver since Berrios and that was 3 seasons ago!

Dee Wiggins is so disappointing to watch, he can separate but never seems to try and high point the ball and doesn't catch the ball consistently. If as some of you say, Pope is better suited to the slot I would love to see that to get more Smith and Redding.
How is it, over the last few years, that we could have 2 guys that are 6'3" (Wiggins) and 6'5" (Cager), yet neither one of them was a physical WR capable of fighting for the ball? How's that even possible?

And I can very easily tell you never participated or coached in any sport.

You are just chatting bull****. This talk is way over your head. Sit down, be humble.
I can very easily tell you're just a ******* meathead who only understands the world in meaningless clichés.

"open competition"
"never had your hand in the dirt"
"never laced em up"

lol gtfo. payaso

Advertisement
"The willingness to change the something in order to improve?" Are you actually stupid or are you just pretending?

WHY THE **** WOULD THE COACHING STAFF NOT BE DOING THIS ALL THE TIME? and if they aren't wouldn't that reflect poorly on them? use your ******* head.

the WR group has been **** only the last 2 weeks?
it's been **** for 3 ******* years man!
We haven't had a half decent receiver since Berrios and that was 3 seasons ago!
I can tell you havent used your head in a long time.

This is a 40 points a game offense. Imagine switching up players every week. No chemistry, no trust, no opportunities to build any sort of rhythm. Bodies just get changed all the time despite the team winning and the offense putting up points.

Its insane, the coaching staff does what you want and you are still *****ing and crying like a little baby. Grow a pair.

I can very easily tell you're just a ******* meathead who only understands the world in meaningless clichés.

"open competition"
"never had your hand in the dirt"
"never laced em up"

lol gtfo. payaso
Grow some balls and stop crying in an online forum. There must be a gym around so that your dumbass can go and work out. Maybe your mom will pay for it, cause your 14 year old *** has no money.

**** off.

Advertisement
Not making excuses, but Manny made the point in today's presser that the underclassman, especially the RSFR, lost a lot of time this summer due to the lockdown. Thus his comments about as the season progresses and the younger guys get more reps, he expects them to get better.

Not making excuses, but Manny made the point in today's presser that the underclassman, especially the RSFR, lost a lot of time this summer due to the lockdown. Thus his comments about as the season progresses and the younger guys get more reps, he expects them to get better.
Oh come on, dont come in with facts. Be upset, **** it.

What happens when sat 2 deep is released and it’s still Wiggins pope and Harley because “they had a great week of practice”.

I am similarly skeptical this is anything more than motivation and an effort to light a fire under a horribly performing position group. Hoping to be wrong on Saturday.

Advertisement
Back