WR position officially wide open

All we heard all offseason about the WRs is how the top 3 guys have separated themselves.

After week 1 its was immediately obvious to the fan base this wasn't the case.

I get crediting the staff for making the necessarty adjustments. But it's really not a good look when it consistenly takes them multiple weeks to see problems that are immediately appararent to people who can't even watch practices.

Advertisement
I'm going to give Campbell a pass the last two weeks - Clemson and Pitt are both 4-deep at defensive end and their top DEs are going to get drafted in the first 2-3 rounds. He held his own.
He's young and only just now getting good coaching. I wasn't bashing him at all because truth is there aren't many tackles who won't struggle with what he's faced the past two weeks. I just like what Zion has shown in games so far this year. That kid has come a long way.

it doesn't take anything to special to see our receivers drop every 50/50 ball thrown to them
Also doesn’t take anything special to see dudes like McCloud and Carter are liabilities out there but they keep trotting back out. The noise around the WRs has been loud the last 2 weeks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Going forward to me the WR group should be:

XWR - Mark Pope/ Michael Redding
SWR - Mike Harley/ Xavier Restrepo
ZWR - Keyshawn Smith/ Jeremiah Payton

Now my reasoning for not putting Pope in the Slot like many have suggested is, if Harely wasn't in the slot, he would never get a chance to catch a ball, he simply can't matchup with the either side of the Corners, so keeping him the Slot is where he's most effective. And yes the staff is still going to play Harley no matter what, I understand most want him to be banished for good but that's just unrealistic.

I would be good with him being the backup as well if Pope got put at Slot, I just don't see a scenario where they won't play Harley despite whatever they're saying in the media.

Pope doesn't necessarily do great against the Defenses best CB either, however, my logic is if the opposing #1 CB doesn't respect Pope much he'll basically just play him straight up, which means Pope can be an effective decoy in pulling that Defender up the field to clear out a zone on the Field side of the hashes in which the Slot or the Flanker can come underneath against & get more favorable matchups.

The main reason I would put Keyshawn at Flanker is because there's not a single Boundary Corner on our schedule fast enough to keep up with him & it would be the best way to get him the ball down the field. It's what my Ravens do with Hollywood Brown, they line him up in the Slot at times & as the WR2 to get him the ball on Deep routes because DC's don't wanna move their #1 Corner over to the Boundary side.

Or, they could go with:

XWR - Michael Redding/ Dee Wiggins
SWR - Mark Pope/Mike Harley/ Xavier Restrepo
ZWR - Keyshawn Smith/Jeremiah Payton

But realistically speaking you probably won't see too much swapping positions amongst the WR's because in the type of offense we run the WR's usually only learn 1/4th of the all the WR assignments, meaning the X's only learn the X's, the Z's only learn the Z, the Y/Slot only learns the Slot etc.. The reason for this is because in an Uptempo Air Raid/Spread the plays have to be simplified in order to get lined up quickly & knowing exactly which routes to run for which play, also the blocking assignments differ from each WR too. It may sound dumb, but that's how most Uptempo Spread offenses do it with their WR's, they usually teach guys just their spot & don't cross-train at WR because 70% of what they do on a snap to snap basis is predicated on knowing exactly what to do very quickly.

Advertisement
Going forward to me the WR group should be:

XWR - Mark Pope/ Michael Redding
SWR - Mike Harley/ Xavier Restrepo
ZWR - Keyshawn Smith/ Jeremiah Payton

Now my reasoning for not putting Pope in the Slot like many have suggested is, if Harely wasn't in the slot, he would never get a chance to catch a ball, he simply can't matchup with the either side of the Corners, so keeping him the Slot is where he's most effective. And yes the staff is still going to play Harley no matter what, I understand most want him to be banished for good but that's just unrealistic.

I would be good with him being the backup as well if Pope got put at Slot, I just don't see a scenario where they won't play Harley despite whatever they're saying in the media.

Pope doesn't necessarily do great against the Defenses best CB either, however, my logic is if the opposing #1 CB doesn't respect Pope much he'll basically just play him straight up, which means Pope can be an effective decoy in pulling that Defender up the field to clear out a zone on the Field side of the hashes in which the Slot or the Flanker can come underneath against & get more favorable matchups.

The main reason I would put Keyshawn at Flanker is because there's not a single Boundary Corner on our schedule fast enough to keep up with him & it would be the best way to get him the ball down the field. It's what my Ravens do with Hollywood Brown, they line him up in the Slot at times & as the WR2 to get him the ball on Deep routes because DC's don't wanna move their #1 Corner over to the Boundary side.

Or, they could go with:

XWR - Michael Redding/ Dee Wiggins
SWR - Mark Pope/Mike Harley/ Xavier Restrepo
ZWR - Keyshawn Smith/Jeremiah Payton

But realistically speaking you probably won't see too much swapping positions amongst the WR's because in the type of offense we run the WR's usually only learn 1/4th of the all the WR assignments, meaning the X's only learn the X's, the Z's only learn the Z, the Y/Slot only learns the Slot etc.. The reason for this is because in an Uptempo Air Raid/Spread the plays have to be simplified in order to get lined up quickly & knowing exactly which routes to run for which play, also the blocking assignments differ from each WR too. It may sound dumb, but that's how most Uptempo Spread offenses do it with their WR's, they usually teach guys just their spot & don't cross-train at WR because 70% of what they do on a snap to snap basis is predicated on knowing exactly what to do very quickly.
6 and 3, will start Saturday no matter what. I expect Redding out there for 8. But 88 and 12 will play more is my guess

All we heard all offseason about the WRs is how the top 3 guys have separated themselves.

After week 1 its was immediately obvious to the fan base this wasn't the case.

I get crediting the staff for making the necessarty adjustments. But it's really not a good look when it consistenly takes them multiple weeks to see problems that are immediately appararent to people who can't even watch practices.
No spring really and shortened fall practice. Makes sense to give a little extra time to prove there worth but time should be up.

Advertisement

Attachments

• D14BB8CA-298D-4A83-B584-E9710A236656.gif
    D14BB8CA-298D-4A83-B584-E9710A236656.gif
    243.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 335847CC-DC78-4310-BD19-69D8A30522DB.gif
    335847CC-DC78-4310-BD19-69D8A30522DB.gif
    243.4 KB · Views: 3
Advertisement
Back