WR Coach Candidates

Advertisement
Don’t cry so much

I’ll keep calling you out for being the **** that you are

Hilarious.

What type a person makes a dumb comment, and then calls the subject matter "irrelevant" when someone responds to that dumb comment?

If that's what triggered you, then you should seek professional help.

Don't be mad at me for you making a completely unfunny joke. Maybe next time you can telegraph your poor humor with an emoji. :ROFLMAO:

That's true. However, the names have leaked eventually when it came to close to the announcement. Happened with both coordinators. My post was based on what's been released so far as we're getting close to Spring practice and when logically you would expect something to be announced.
We will see how it plays out but it is wild how people really have no clue what’s going on since Mario took over. Even the handful of people that tell me things in confidence seem lost which is crazy.

Thank you for the honesty on Hankerson never being announced as a "done deal".

As for Beard, who is not my top choice, I'd point out that he was not "let go twice" due to his own abilities. Golden was fired mid-year during his one year coaching WRs at UM, and Jones was fired mid-year during his one year coaching WRs at Tennessee.

Finally, I'm not sure why we say Beard is "stuck" in G5. He's working with a coach he likes and vibes with. He almost (woulda/coulda?) came to Miami last year with Candle, so he only would have been "stuck" in G5 for "four years". I'm just not sure why it's such a bad thing for a guy to build a 4-5 year resume when he had TWO good jobs go south on him in less than one year each.

PS, when you look at some of the other candidates we have hired (and/or considered), there were quite a few who were "stuck" in G5 for 5 years or more.

No worries on Hank. I give the insiders on this board their due and appreciate the information shared here for free.

I'm not sure what type of word salad we can agree on in regards to describing Beard's career, but he was "not retained" twice by the new incoming staff. That to me is the same thing as let go.

I agree with you with in regards to my statement that he was stuck in G5. Poor choice of words on my part. However, lets just keep things real. The other two individuals we hired from the G5 level have been on an upward trajectory career paths and have proven results/stats that warrant taking the chance on making the hire.

Dawson from Houston
Guidry from Marshall

Beard has been stagnate at Toledo for five years. You add that with his previous experience that I noted there's no way I feel you can spin hiring him would be nothing short of mediocre.

Advertisement
No insider was saying it was a done deal only that he was the leading candidate.

View attachment 231663

@Hufftwoseven

Instead of face palming how about providing some insight on why you think Beard would not be a ******* mediocre hire? He's been let go twice, once from Miami, Tennessee, and then been stuck in G5 for five years. You feel confident on him going into those top WR's living rooms and selling Miami against the other big boys in recruiting. He's not known to be great at that either.
My reaction is not implying Beard would be a bad or good hire, more so face palming your comment ‘we’ll most likely ending up with Beard’ when I’m curious where that assumption is coming from. Sounds like the mopes who said ‘Mario is going to hire a bro offense’ or whatever. He hasn’t hired anyone who has been a downright bad hire yet, most have been received with at least 50/50 positivity. Beard imo does not meet that threshold of a decent hire.

My reaction is not implying Beard would be a bad or good hire, more so face palming your comment ‘we’ll most likely ending up with Beard’ when I’m curious where that assumption is coming from. Sounds like the mopes who said ‘Mario is going to hire a bro offense’ or whatever. He hasn’t hired anyone who has been a downright bad hire yet, most have been received with at least 50/50 positivity. Beard imo does not meet that threshold of a decent hire.

I gotcha. Hopefully you're right. Just have not heard any additional candidates listed other than Beard and Hank since last week as both interviewed.

Advertisement
I gotcha. Hopefully you're right. Just have not heard any additional candidates listed other than Beard and Hank since last week as both interviewed.
I don’t even remember hearing Beard from any reliable source, who mentioned him?

Imo I really only believe @Cribby on this board. I know Bruce Feldman name dropped Hankerson on Manny Navarro’s podcast and Bruce is def plugged in with Mario more than others. I can’t remember who else he mentioned but I think he said Reggie Wayne who was coaching with Colts past year?

EDIT— I did just look back and saw that Bruce mentioned Beard with those two as well. Guess I just completely ignored it because I thought it wasn’t a possibility given how much of a meh hire it would be

This Is Fine GIF

I don’t even remember hearing Beard from any reliable source, who mentioned him?

Imo I really only believe @Cribby on this board. I know Bruce Feldman name dropped Hankerson on Manny Navarro’s podcast and Bruce is def plugged in with Mario more than others. I can’t remember who else he mentioned but I think he said Reggie Wayne who was coaching with Colts past year?

EDIT— I did just look back and saw that Bruce mentioned Beard with those two as well. Guess I just completely ignored it because I thought it wasn’t a possibility given how much of a meh hire it would be

I didn't realize that Reggie was a realistic candidate other than just being a former cane. Not sure if anything has been mentioned about him interviewing. He would fall under the same category of Hank though as we'd be competing against a NFL team for his services. That would be a tough pull.

Advertisement
he was the colts WRC last year. not sure on his position this year given they just hired a new HC but if hes retained, why would he come to college esp when it isnt his hometown?
Because its his alma mater....maybe.
Im sure Reggie Wayne hasnt lived in New Orleans or cared to in ages...but im sure he has lived in South Florida more recently

Advertisement
he was the colts WRC last year. not sure on his position this year given they just hired a new HC but if hes retained, why would he come to college esp when it isnt his hometown?
Who knows, not saying he would be inclined to return to college, but if he’s unemployed I’d give him a call and see what happens. Nothing to really lose if he says no. I’d be shocked if Mario hasn’t reached out but who knows

Who knows, not saying he would be inclined to return to college, but if he’s unemployed I’d give him a call and see what happens. Nothing to really lose if he says no. I’d be shocked if Mario hasn’t reached out but who knows
Same concerns with Reggie Wayne as I have with Jason Taylor…is a former player of his caliber going to be willing to grind in recruiting and put up with diva high school kids.

You could have stopped after "bi-polar" and been good lol.

I don't remember half the board screaming for Coley at WR coach. I recall a lot of people being interested in him coming as a savage SEC recruiter who knows how to win against SEC programs on the trail and seeing where we could hide him. I said I'd like him at TE coach because I personally haven't been impressed with Field's ON-FIELD job. I think the real screaming was people who idiotically thought he was an OC candidate and didn't want it. The more grounded among us knew that was never happening.

As for Hankerson, I disagree that his recruiting resume is "non-existent." He coached in college for four years, which means there are dozens of coaches out there that know what kind of guy he is on the trail and how he approaches it. And Mario can certainly reach out to some of them as background. Oh if you mean by wikipedia, then yeah, ok. Also there are a LOT of people in the Miami program that know a ton about his personality and work-ethic. And work-ethic is a HUGE part of recruiting. If he's hungry and has the personality, Mario and a few others can really help him become a recruiting force.

I'll say this... look at how quickly he moved up in the NFL. That says a lot about his personality traits, his willingness to learn, his intelligence, and his ability to SELL himself. Think about that.

How many kids do you hear talking about being recruited by this analyst guy we have on staff. Some dude named Jason Taylor? Jason Taylor is already half-way to being a great recruiter just by waking up and sending kids his wiki page, or better yet letting their parents tell them all about him.

These kids all want to go to the NFL. That's #1, #2, and #3. Telling them they can come be recruited by the NFL WR coach of Kyle Shannahan's San Francisco 49ers, who have been very successful of late, is a **** of a big recruiting draw. That is going to be a major part of Hank's game.

HR is hard. Hiring is hard. I've done a lot of it, and it's a **** of a lot harder in sports and CFB and Mario has his hands full.

But personally, Beard would be very low on my board and Hankerson would be very, very high. You talk about Hank's recruiting resume being small, but Beard's resume is basically, that he's had a job as a low level recruiter except for a moment of nepotism on a staff going downhill. So? No one has ever called him some big up and coming trail savage. At least not that I've seen. If Mario evaluates Hank as I described above and decides that he has the ability to become a great recruiter, and WANTS to be a great recruiter, then getting Hank would be a major coup IMO.
Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

Advertisement
Back