Would You Rather Win the NIT or...

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
...lose in the 2nd round (round of 32) of the real Tournament?

I personally think winning the NIT will be more beneficial longterm to this team and it's more exciting than a second round exit but you're always going to have the argument that "it's still the NIT" or (stupidly) "so that makes you like the 65th best team...".

Advertisement
It would depend on who we beat in the round of 64. If its a huge upset for us or a win over a Duke or a UNC I would probably take that over an NIT title.

I would take the NIT, especially considering our history and lack of hardware. Hopefully we win it on Thursday and never return to it again. That would be the ideal.

Win the NIT, specially with the fact they fought for it, they came back in the last 2 games to win it. That will help A LOT for next year! But yeah, it's still the NIT.

I think it gives argument for next years team, if they are in the same position (hopefully not!), the committee can't say: We will send them in the NIT because we won that ****!

Advertisement
This year win the NIT next year the answer will be different. Expectations which were mildly high coming into this season will be extremely high next year with just about ev
ery player coming back and adding Kamari Murphy.

Im enjoying the MIT. We Should have gotten in and we could have easily made it to the round of 32 and sweet 16 at the most if we got a great draw. At least this is a tournament with decent teams thats in Madison Square Golden. We are still playing for something when 1 hundred someodd seasons are over. We win the NIT we get to hang a banner we accomplished something and we have hype going in to next year... warranted at that. ACC will be tough again next year but we should make the tournament and hopefully make a run at an elite 8.

I'm enjoying it too, but more so in the context of the body of work accomplished by the program over recent years as a draw to the program. Winning the NIT fits nicely in an attractive narrative Coach L can aim at recruits. Suite 16, won the ACC, yeah we got snubbed this year but won the NIT just for spite - so come here young man and make us better... etc. would make a rather effective pitch. Winning, and having fun doing it sells.

Advertisement
The nit because of the extra practices and continuing high pressure games. Makes for a better team next year.

Whatever tournament you're in, that's the one you want to win. We're in the NIT this year, so I'm interested in the NIT. Any other year if we either a) don't make the postseason or b) are in the Big Dance...I could give two ***** about the NIT. BUT--we're in it, so we may as well win it.

However, to the spirit of Tad's OP...given the straight up choice, I'd take the NCAA tourney...especially if that round of 32 loss was a close one to a top seed, and even better if that team won it all. Higher visibility for recruiting, pollsters for the next season take notice, and the team gets a taste of the Big Dance and is hungry to get back.

In our situation this year though, being in the NIT is probably best for us. Winning this thing, and at least getting this far if we fall to Stanford on Thursday, sets us up for a big season next year. It allows this team to prove something to itself--that it's a championship level squad. If they start believing in that, and work hard in the offseason to clean up the consistency issues that have plagued us all year long, and individually work hard to improve the weaknesses in their games...then that combined with the talent on this team...the sky is the limit.

NIT! This is a great opportunity to build this squad. Plus don't be surprised if it draws in another grad student, euro star or 2016 eligible transfer. You've also got to remember that the big dance isn't the best 64, it includes numerous smaller conference champions, which although add interest which bring national ratings it's not the best 64. Go CANES WIN THURSDAY!

Either way with a slight lean towards the 32. I'll take NIT hardware as a decent consolation prize. Might help these guys realize how much even silly January games matter. After the season hopefully they ask themselves how far they could have danced. Still got a game to play and that's a good thing, not many teams can say that.

Advertisement
Second round, no question.

Would you rather win a really low lotto($2 mil), or a really high scratch off($40,000)?

Not a really good analogy. The objective benefit of the round of 32 game and press that goes along with it isn't much, if any, better than winning the NIT. It might make you feel a bit better to be in the big dance, but it wouldn't really provide a big bump in terms of national recognition.

Would you rather win a really low lotto($2 mil), or a really high scratch off($40,000)?

Not a really good analogy. The objective benefit of the round of 32 game and press that goes along with it isn't much, if any, better than winning the NIT. It might make you feel a bit better to be in the big dance, but it wouldn't really provide a big bump in terms of national recognition.

Really?

The 10/7 Ohio State vs Dayton opening weekend got a 1.1

The NIT quarterfinals didn't make the top 100, with the lowest rating that day being the Kelly Files at 0.2

Im pretty sure you just make **** up and argue for the sake of arguing.

Really?

The 10/7 Ohio State vs Dayton opening weekend got a 1.1

The NIT quarterfinals didn't make the top 100, with the lowest rating that day being the Kelly Files at 0.2

Im pretty sure you just make **** up and argue for the sake of arguing.

I'm not talking about TV ratings....of course more people tune into the first weekend of the dance than the NIT.

I'm talking about the national perception of UM basketball. Get bounced in the round of 32 and no one cares;it provides little, if any, bump in the national reputation of UM basketball than winning the NIT.

Either way, your original analogy was crap.

Advertisement
Win the NIT, gives our boys more chemistry and a lot more momentum coming in to next season, plus who wouldn't want to go to NYC and play in MSG

^^^^
So teams like Georgia, Ole Miss & St Johns that lost in the first round in games that probably aired in the afternoon against other games are better off than us right now getting extra games & practices and being the only game on ESPN in that evening timeslot and playing at MSG? Being a one and done Tourney team almost means you didn't even belong in the field. I'd rather claim to be snubbed than that.

Last edited:
^^^^
So teams like Georgia, Ole Miss & St Johns that lost in the first round in games that probably aired in the afternoon against other games are better off than us right now getting extra games & practices and being the only game on ESPN in that evening timeslot and playing at MSG? Being a one and done Tourney team almost means you didn't even belong in the field. I'd rather claim to be snubbed than that.

Five years from now I'd rather have larranaga telling recruits "we've made five straight tourneys" than "we won the NIT in 2015."

Advertisement
Back