Would Best Thing to Do at DT be....

to put weight on some of our DE's that have a frame to carry the weight and bump them inside to address our dearth of real DT talent? The only high school DT we got since 2014 are Courtel and Moten. 2015 was Fines and Norton, unless you count McIntosh as a potential DT. For 2016 it could only be the Pulley kid if he's truly a DT and he'll have to put on 40+ lbs to get to 290. We can't keep going like this especially with the lack of quality defensive minds.

Advertisement
DT is an issue for us but they already do a lot of what you are saying depending on the situation. Thats why Chad Thomas put on so much weight, they plan to use him both as a DE and DT like they did Chick.

I dont like doing that because you can never project how a kid is going to be 4 years down the road playing at a totally different weight and position that you see him in HS. Even though I think that is the plan for Mcintosh, I think he will end up fine at DT. You cant recruit a kid at 6'3 250 and then expect him to play the same way at 6'3 285-300 a few years later.

Not the players! Its the game, sorry. Truth is, Al sucks. He has the horses..not the know how tho. Jimmy sucked one yr, made wholesale changes at key coaching positions...wat has Alf done? Nothing! Yr 5! Same ol ****, trusting the process. All don't know the difference between **** and good apple butter. We may luck into 7-8 wins...but a good coach would have us in the hunt....at least for a trip to Charlotte

Advertisement
I'd just call Al Groh to see if he'd be willing to share any insight into that 2-5 scheme he ran at Army in 1965. If you only have 2 ends on the d-line it really frees up your 5 LB's to read and react da fugg out of every play.

i say put Artie and Tracy there. Our DTs are supposed to drop back in coverage anyway so it's a win win

DT is an issue for us but they already do a lot of what you are saying depending on the situation. Thats why Chad Thomas put on so much weight, they plan to use him both as a DE and DT like they did Chick.

I dont like doing that because you can never project how a kid is going to be 4 years down the road playing at a totally different weight and position that you see him in HS. Even though I think that is the plan for Mcintosh, I think he will end up fine at DT. You cant recruit a kid at 6'3 250 and then expect him to play the same way at 6'3 285-300 a few years later.

Please tell me that is NOT the plan.

Basically only on passing downs to get more pash rushers on the field but yes thats how they plan on doing it. They did it with chickillo

Advertisement
Half the people in this thread talking trash also support recruiting 255lb DT Aaron Thompson.

I'd just call Al Groh to see if he'd be willing to share any insight into that 2-5 scheme he ran at Army in 1965. If you only have 2 ends on the d-line it really frees up your 5 LB's to read and react da fugg out of every play.

:hh9BEeLFGEOeZUWG.jp

Not the players! Its the game, sorry. Truth is, Al sucks. He has the horses..not the know how tho. Jimmy sucked one yr, made wholesale changes at key coaching positions...wat has Alf done? Nothing! Yr 5! Same ol ****, trusting the process. All don't know the difference between **** and good apple butter. We may luck into 7-8 wins...but a good coach would have us in the hunt....at least for a trip to Charlotte

I tend to agree, but we also have not had a real DT in many years. Problem is that with Al, even or great DTs of the glory days would be wasted dancing with olinemen instead of collapsing pockets and terrorizing QBs.

This made me crack up. Then I got really sad.

Advertisement
We don't have a standout DT as of now but I think we might be ok at the position. Of course we must over come the coaching hurdle that will hinder us.

Weight isn't the only issue when trying to move a player to DT though. Does he have the skill-set? Does he have the balls? Is he physical enough?

It's a whole different animal then playing on the edge.

Advertisement
There ready to make chad into the next Muhammad Wilkerson lol. I'm sooo sick of these guys and them thinking they had something at temple and actually thinking their sh;tty players their are in comparison to what we have here or are use to. Muhammad Wilkerson isn't even Kenard Lang level yet he is a Demi god to godly/no frio...and their tellin Hurlie brown/Kevin beard about safety plan and looking for the next Jaquan Jarrett or whatever his name is when those two played with Sean Taylor/ed reed and other came greats make me sick.

Johnson and Erickson recruited good and fast linebackers and turned them into DE's . Don't know where you start to do the same with DT's as they require putting on quite a bit more weight...

Advertisement
Back