Worst Coaching Move of the Golden Era

Curious to hear opinions

For me it was the lack of any move in the second half of the Notre Dame game. Notre Dame ran on every
play of the second half (have never even seen that in a college game) and Golden made no adjustments,
not a run blitz, not an extra D lineman, not bringing up the safety, nothing. Still cannot believe it to this day,
how he can continue to coach the U and make $3,000,000 a year is mind boggling.

Hiring this guy and buying his "Deserve Victory" BS was the worst move of this dreadful era of Canes football, period.

Advertisement
Biggest mistake Golden has made was the way he handled the Penn St. situation. There were a bunch of die hard Goldenites that supported his defense no matter what and began to question him after how he handled the Penn St situation.

I could care less that he showed interest in the job as it was his alma mater, but to flat out deny it after the period of silence where noone knew what was happening really destroyed any credibility he had left.

Maryland 2011 - Couldn't stop the same play all game.
Boston College - 2011
Logan Thomas game
Mike London
Losing to Duke for the first time since the 1970s
Losing to Pitt at home for the first time in over 4 decades (if I remember that stat correctly)
Losing to UL to open the season
Losing to GT 2014
****ing out in the second half of FSU
Getting blown out by ND
Getting annihilated by KSU

Having to be convinced to offer Denzel Perryman, Not firing Dorito, Paul Williams, our S&C coach, our dline coach, not firing Brennan Carol, hiring James Coley, having such a high attrition rate

Lastly
His incessant use of hashtags, excuse making, Running to PSU for a job, incessant lying, blaming players for failures, not heeding advice from Jimmy Johnson when it was given, abandoning what works (speed) at Miami for a more Big 10 slow, plodding style, ignoring his recruiting base for jersey coal shovelers

Great post.

Out of all his coaching-blunders, the worst, most egregious has to be trying to turn Miami into 1980 Penn State South.

Blowing players up to weights that make them less effective and explosive and having them play a read-and-react defense versus letting them attack.

^There have been a number of great posts and all are spot on. I think it would be easier to post bright spots in Golden's tenure because they are far and few between. Not much debate.

I think ever since he started the used car salesman approach with the orange tie, it was over with.

Boston College - 2011
Logan Thomas game
Mike London
Losing to Pitt at home for the first time in over 4 decades (if I remember that stat correctly)
Losing to GT 2014
Getting blown out by ND

Having to be convinced to offer Denzel Perryman, Not firing Dorito, Paul Williams, our S&C coach, our dline coach, not firing Brennan Carol, hiring James Coley, having such a high attrition rate

Lastly
His incessant use of hashtags, excuse making, Running to PSU for a job, incessant lying, blaming players for failures, not heeding advice from Jimmy Johnson when it was given, abandoning what works (speed) at Miami for a more Big 10 slow, plodding style, ignoring his recruiting base for jersey coal shovelers

21gr1.gif

Boston College - 2011
Logan Thomas game
Mike London
Losing to GT 2014
Getting blown out by ND

Lastly

You forgot that Louisville bowl game beat down...

Advertisement
Goldens worse coaching performances are a tie beaten 2011 Maryland and 2011 bc. Well.....2011 bc( who was a handicapped 3-8 coming into the game) is probably the worst coached game I've ever seen. 2011 k state and Virginia were also **** poor coaching performances aka games that were lost due strictly to coaching.

now that I think about it k state was worse than bc but bc gets the nod because of its personnel issues. They were down to third and forth teamers who sucked...**** some guys who played in that ga,e couldn't see the field for a 2-10 2012 bc squad!! Lmffffmfao etc...

Goldens worse coaching performances are a tie beaten 2011 Maryland and 2011 bc. Well.....2011 bc( who was a handicapped 3-8 coming into the game) is probably the worst coached game I've ever seen. 2011 k state and Virginia were also **** poor coaching performances aka games that were lost due strictly to coaching.

now that I think about it k state was worse than bc but bc gets the nod because of its personnel issues. They were down to third and forth teamers who sucked...**** some guys who played in that ga,e couldn't see the field for a 2-10 2012 bc squad!! Lmffffmfao etc...
This. Although I'd say Maryland was pretty close to being the worst. Lost to a 2 win Maryland team because we couldn't stop the same play all ******* game.

Remember when golden had all the players carry a yard stick for the 2012 KState game. It was supposed to be a reminder of the 2011 game where we lost by a yard. Lol. Unsurprisingly we got demolished in that game. He's such a ******* tool.

Oh here's another embarrassment. Having the team watch March of the Penguins when he first arrived.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dismissing and not backing up my dawg Eddie "The Goon, AKA-God's punishment to those who commit a sin" ******* Johnson..!! #44 - My ninja..!!

Alfredo has no backbone!

Boston College - 2011
Logan Thomas game
Mike London
Losing to GT 2014
Pussying out in the second half of FSU
Getting blown out by ND

Lastly

We're not worthy.

Dismissing and not backing up my dawg Eddie "The Goon, AKA-God's punishment to those who commit a sin" ****ing Johnson..!! #44 - My ninja..!!

Alfredo has no backbone!

That's real. Eddie should have never been treated that way.

Advertisement
Making **** Logan Thomas a potential Hiesman candidate...Dude was like 34-35 368 4tds throwing hitch routes to the sidelines, Losing to Duke (freakin' Duke), Making Mike London look like Tom Landry, and oh yeah going 6-7 with possibly the most talented roster since 2003.

Yup. And Thomas put up those stats IN THE RAIN (and on the road). I remember being at that game and it was raining pretty hard...

its a cruel joke that this POS still has a job. I am dumbfounded by that fact every day.

how in the **** did this fat ******* not get fired already?

Advertisement

This. Although I'd say Maryland was pretty close to being the worst. Lost to a 2 win Maryland team because we couldn't stop the same play all ******* game.

Remember when golden had all the players carry a yard stick for the 2012 KState game. It was supposed to be a reminder of the 2011 game where we lost by a yard. Lol. Unsurprisingly we got demolished in that game. He's such a ******* tool.

Oh here's another embarrassment. Having the team watch March of the Penguins when he first arrived.

didnt know that.

LMAOOO

The worst coaching move of the al golden era occurs every single time he plays a team with elite talent. He never forces opposing offenses to have to use their 2nd and 3rd best options. It happens week in and week out. The examples are numerous.

Why do you think milk toast guys like Dean Smith and Coach K at Dook win championships? (I mean aside from getting every call). Bobby Knight explained it best. He said, "Mike Kryzewski will do everything in his power to ensure that no one beats dook with their primary weapon, especially down the stretch in games." Golden is the antithesis of that approach.

Advertisement
Back