Worse power 5 coaches than Shannon and golden

Orangebowl

Redshirt Freshman
There are plenty of coaches that are every bit as bad as those 2, make no mistake. But can you think of any that are worse? Muschamp may be a tad worse since he lost to Ga. Southern but that's about it.

For the record I don't lump Coker in the same category as Golden and Shannon since 5 of his 6 teams were better than every single team under Golden and Shannon. I know some people say he's every bit as bad just because of 2006 but I've never found that POV to be very reasonable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coach Klein from "The Waterboy"? No, nevermind. He actually won his bowl game. Shannon and Golden never did.

Advertisement
In truth I think Gene Chizik is even worse than Golden or Shannon but since he won a national title maybe I'll just call him every bit as bad.

Advertisement
He inherited garbage but Ty Willingham at Washington was pitiful. 11–37 overall and 6–29 in conference. Never finished higher than 9th in the Pac-10. But fully deserves a spot on the Playoff Selection Committee.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Willingham and Paul Wulff at WSU were far worse than anybody we've had. But they both got fired long ago. I can't think of anybody currently coaching who's worse than Shangolden. Except mayyybe Muschamp. Although yes there are easily at least 20 Power 5 coaches who are no better than Shangolden- worse is a tougher qualifier.

You can't quantify how bad at coaching you have to be to fall on your face at miami. There is no reason to win less than 9 games here ever. Weak division, best recruiting base in the nation.

Last edited:
You can't quantify how bad at coaching you have to be to fall on your face at miami. There is no reason to lose less than 9 games here ever. Weak division, best recruiting base in the nation.[/QUOTE

No reason to lose less than 9 games a year? Even at wake forest or Vanderbilt a coach who consistently goes 3-9 will be fired.

Advertisement
Paul Rhoads is worse although he got fired after 2015. Somehow he was kept as coach for 7 years despite a conference record of 16-45.

Actually Shannon is a better coach than what you are putting out there. He excelled at each position he coached as an assistant and DC. He was one of the top available hires as a DC in the country before getting the HC position at Miami. After only receiving a 4 yr contract for 4 mil and nothing to pay Top Tier OC's and DC's, today one wouldn't be surprised by the results. But one would have to assume the success he would have had if given the money to hire coordinators. Randy consistently brought in recruiting classes ranked in the top 25. Three members of his second recruiting class—Marcus Forston, Marcus Robinson, and Sean Spence—were recognized by College Football News as freshman All-Americans.

On January 5, 2015, the University of Florida announced that the Florida Gators' new head coach Jim McElwain had hired Shannon as the Gators' associate head coach, co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. McElwain stated that Shannon was at the top of his list for potential assistants, and media sports commentators opined that Shannon would be a significant recruiting asset for McElwain and the Gators.

Today we can admit that the last regime failed to develop the talent on those teams. Some day we will also admit that the Administration failed to pay for qualified Coordinators and Assistants so that Shannon could succeed. Truth be told, the Administration contributed a lot more money for Golden to be successful.

Advertisement
Back