Worse power 5 coaches than Shannon and golden

I can't figure out for the life of me why Shannon hired nix. Nix was a very lowly regarded OC at GT. Whipple was at least a pretty highly regarded QB coach who developed Ben Rothlesberger. He had done well as a head coach at the D1-AA and D-2 level as well.

A major part of it was the Administration didn't budge on the price they were willing to pay an OC until January and Nix was hired the Friday of the 19th. A couple weeks before NSD and you needed a QB and RB to say the least. With that said, he had no other choice. **** I believe you could have been OC had you applied. lol

2007 Nobody wanted this job. You here people say Shannon could have hired this and that guy. **** the school thought the same way about itself and soon found out after HC candidate, after HC candidate and after another HC candidate turned this job down even after prior years of success. Nobody wanted this job. At the last minute they offered Randy the job. So you know **** well the same was true for the Coordinator positions. Same was true about HC candidates before Golden was hired. And remained true all the way up until Richt said yes. All of the sudden it was the best job on the planet. However, Richt was able to hold out until the Administration up the price they were willing to pay for Coordinator and only when the dollars were finalize did he agree to take the job.

Preach! On top of all you said.... This man had to sue to get his money. What coach sees that and wants to work here? You shouldn't have to do all of this in defense of Randy. So called Cane fans.

Congrats ****face...you're a finalist for worst poster in the history of this board.

You, you boyfriend (who is probably Randy - and that's IF he's a real person and not YOU with multiple screen names) should go post on Florida's forums and show your support for the apparent greatest LB coach in the history of LB coaches.

From DC to HC all the way back down to POSITION COACH. The fact you're defending that clown only accentuates the fact you're either him, or related to him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Moro I think its obvious that I agreed with you. I was just responding to the few that brought up race in the equation. I don't you mentioned race at all. I only disagree with you in regards to the resources RS was allocated. His situation wasn't ideal but he could of still done better. RS had a freshman laden team and beat the ACC and Orange bowl champs in VT in 08 then he lost 3 straight games to conclude that year. The following year he beat the acc champs in GT (throttle them) then lost 3 games they should of won. He was too inconsistent. He showed sigbs that he could beat good teams but lost some games he shouldn't and that was signs of being a green coach. Resources and budget wasn't ideal but he could have done better and I like RS.

True and I to said that I agreed with almost everything that you said. And that's for the very points that you just sighted as to why despite the fact that his "situation" was not ideal he came close but underachieved. Admittingly, you go on to say that resources and budget wasn't ideal but he could have done better and you like RS. Well if you know this much about his success then you also should know that he was a competent OC away from competing for it all. That is what I have a problem with and you should be disappointed in yourself for allowing yourself to be used as tool to circulate these misconceptions.

Hey I'm not being used as a tool. RS knew what he was up against when he too the HC gig. I mean he saw how the program operated. He knew the program wasn't going to give the ideal financial support yet he took the job anyway. I mean he kept telling everyone to stay away from Shapiro but it still went on deaf ears. If you go into an environment knowing the situation its on you. Like you stated about Richt. He rejected the UM gig until we were on the same page. RS took the job. Its not like they caught him off guard. I wanted him to win and I felt he did a lot of good. To be honest he left enough talent on the team for a good coach to go 11-1 in 2011. However he lost and we can't dispute that. Is he a bad coach? Of course not. He was just too green as a HC.

I can't figure out for the life of me why Shannon hired nix. Nix was a very lowly regarded OC at GT. Whipple was at least a pretty highly regarded QB coach who developed Ben Rothlesberger. He had done well as a head coach at the D1-AA and D-2 level as well.

A major part of it was the Administration didn't budge on the price they were willing to pay an OC until January and Nix was hired the Friday of the 19th. A couple weeks before NSD and you needed a QB and RB to say the least. With that said, he had no other choice. **** I believe you could have been OC had you applied. lol

2007 Nobody wanted this job. You here people say Shannon could have hired this and that guy. **** the school thought the same way about itself and soon found out after HC candidate, after HC candidate and after another HC candidate turned this job down even after prior years of success. Nobody wanted this job. At the last minute they offered Randy the job. So you know **** well the same was true for the Coordinator positions. Same was true about HC candidates before Golden was hired. And remained true all the way up until Richt said yes. All of the sudden it was the best job on the planet. However, Richt was able to hold out until the Administration up the price they were willing to pay for Coordinator and only when the dollars were finalize did he agree to take the job.

Preach! On top of all you said.... This man had to sue to get his money. What coach sees that and wants to work here? You shouldn't have to do all of this in defense of Randy. So called Cane fans.

Congrats ****face...you're a finalist for worst poster in the history of this board.

You, you boyfriend (who is probably Randy - and that's IF he's a real person and not YOU with multiple screen names) should go post on Florida's forums and show your support for the apparent greatest LB coach in the history of LB coaches.

From DC to HC all the way back down to POSITION COACH. The fact you're defending that clown only accentuates the fact you're either him, or related to him.

What? You're telling us to go post on Florida forums about a cane alum?

You should not post here at all for even going so hard against a Cane lifer like Randy Shannon. Like who tf are you to talk down on Randy Shannon. You're a nobody whose done nothing for UM. Yet you have the nerve to bash a guy who has given a third of his life to a school that you've given nothing but a headache too.

You're an imbecile and an embarrassment to this fan base. Yet you think your intelligent and clever. You in here talking about **** relationships and multiple screen names. You're a weirdo and a gump. Drink a pot of ****, batch.

Randy Shannon was the best DC to ever coach at UM.

Al Golden is the worse coach all time bc he gets the least out of talent than any other coach in history. And nobody, not Coker, not Shannon, not the coach before Schnellenberger set as many school records for things like blowout losses and/or 1st time losses than Al Golden. So stfu with all this bs about another coach being worse, talking about London and Edsall like they ever coached a team with real expectations.

Moro said that Randy Shannon was/is a better talent evaluator than Butch Davis earlier in this thread.

Advertisement
Moro I think its obvious that I agreed with you. I was just responding to the few that brought up race in the equation. I don't you mentioned race at all. I only disagree with you in regards to the resources RS was allocated. His situation wasn't ideal but he could of still done better. RS had a freshman laden team and beat the ACC and Orange bowl champs in VT in 08 then he lost 3 straight games to conclude that year. The following year he beat the acc champs in GT (throttle them) then lost 3 games they should of won. He was too inconsistent. He showed sigbs that he could beat good teams but lost some games he shouldn't and that was signs of being a green coach. Resources and budget wasn't ideal but he could have done better and I like RS.

True and I to said that I agreed with almost everything that you said. And that's for the very points that you just sighted as to why despite the fact that his "situation" was not ideal he came close but underachieved. Admittingly, you go on to say that resources and budget wasn't ideal but he could have done better and you like RS. Well if you know this much about his success then you also should know that he was a competent OC away from competing for it all. That is what I have a problem with and you should be disappointed in yourself for allowing yourself to be used as tool to circulate these misconceptions.

Hey I'm not being used as a tool. RS knew what he was up against when he too the HC gig. I mean he saw how the program operated. He knew the program wasn't going to give the ideal financial support yet he took the job anyway. I mean he kept telling everyone to stay away from Shapiro but it still went on deaf ears. If you go into an environment knowing the situation its on you. Like you stated about Richt. He rejected the UM gig until we were on the same page. RS took the job. Its not like they caught him off guard. I wanted him to win and I felt he did a lot of good. To be honest he left enough talent on the team for a good coach to go 11-1 in 2011. However he lost and we can't dispute that. Is he a bad coach? Of course not. He was just too green as a HC.

When you can be this honest about Randy knowing what he was walking into and turn right around and tell me that he left enough talent on the team for a good coach to go 11-1 in 2011. Then why would you sit here and lie to me and the public, **** the Canes Nation, and tell us that there was absolutely no expectations for Golden to win a NC and a conference title? And that is my point, you guys are so hypocritical when it's obvious that your scales are so flawed when it comes to measuring Randy's success at the U.

What? You're telling us to go post on Florida forums about a cane alum?

You should not post here at all for even going so hard against a Cane lifer like Randy Shannon. Like who tf are you to talk down on Randy Shannon. You're a nobody whose done nothing for UM. Yet you have the nerve to bash a guy who has given a third of his life to a school that you've given nothing but a headache too.

You're an imbecile and an embarrassment to this fan base. Yet you think your intelligent and clever. You in here talking about **** relationships and multiple screen names. You're a weirdo and a gump. Drink a pot of ****, batch.

Go coach linebackers, Randy.

When you can be this honest about Randy knowing what he was walking into and turn right around and tell me that he left enough talent on the team for a good coach to go 11-1 in 2011. Then why would you sit here and lie to me and the public, **** the Canes Nation, and tell us that there was absolutely no expectations for Golden to win a NC and a conference title? And that is my point, you guys are so hypocritical when it's obvious that your scales are so flawed when it comes to measuring Randy's success at the U.

It's not being hypocritical its the truth. I don't like Al but the administration didn't have any expectations for. I also don't think its right but it is what it is. Dude received an extension while getting throttled by BC a 2 win team. I think its obvious they didn't have any expectations for him and it wasn't right. I guess I'm just saying I don't think UM was a good place for RS to start due to many of points you made. If he did win 11 games in 2010, I don't think anything would of change. We just had bad people running the program and it became worse during Al's tenure. I do think RS will eventually get another gig. His name is always circulating for some mid major HC gig or a p5 DC gig but unlike his 1st time around he wants to make sure its the right fit for him.

It's not being hypocritical its the truth. I don't like Al but the administration didn't have any expectations for. I also don't think its right but it is what it is. Dude received an extension while getting throttled by BC a 2 win team. I think its obvious they didn't have any expectations for him and it wasn't right. I guess I'm just saying I don't think UM was a good place for RS to start due to many of points you made. If he did win 11 games in 2010, I don't think anything would of change. We just had bad people running the program and it became worse during Al's tenure. I do think RS will eventually get another gig. His name is always circulating for some mid major HC gig or a p5 DC gig but unlike his 1st time around he wants to make sure its the right fit for him.

You say it’s not hypocritical but rather the truth; there were no expectations for Al Golden. However, “earning it”, getting extensions, promotions and next gigs are validations of your coaching ability and success on a high level. But getting “throttled” as you put it by a two win team is often times overlooked on your scales.

There is a thread running right now which describes an NFL team filled with college coaches that haven’t had a fraction of the success that Randy had over his career. And yet you still find it very hard to admit that this scale used to classify the “Best” and “Worst” is flawed. You can’t just point the finger at Miami’s Administration.

Listen to this and there is some real truth to this, as you said, even if Randy had won 11 games in 2010 nothing would have changed. I will take it a few steps further. If Randy was ripe as opposed to being “green” it wouldn’t have taken that long. Check the grumblings surrounding coach Strong.

Randy being to “green”, Randy was “way over his head” are labels applied to Randy after his first HC gig when it is well known that it takes funding to put together a staff with talented coaches which is the first building blocks needed for the foundation of success. Again check Strong’s success at Louisville. Strong is the perfect example of what Miami had in Randy minus the funding. He is a perfect example of what a HC who has been a position coach his entire career can accomplish if they are provided the resources to be successful.

So we are left to being hopeful that someday Randy lands a P5 HC or DC gig which is shameful in itself especially when you have less qualified former HC coaches completing NFL and P5 staffs. The data tells you that the scale is not in balance, the scale is flawed. To prove this point, you can read several posts back from your Comrades that Strong is worse than Golden. And this is what you support. Again, shameful.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think for the most part [MENTION=14310]Moro[/MENTION] and I feel the same way. I just think RS shouldn't have taken the UM job. UM wasn't a well run program at that time. Like many departments at this university to this day it is still living off the past. And [MENTION=14310]Moro[/MENTION] don't worry about RS he'll get a gig. I personally think he is waiting for the right offer. He turned down FIU in 2012 I belive and his name have come up in DC openings but he has openly stated he wants to be a HC again.

I agree the system is flawed but at the end of the day he went from 9 games to 7. And I'm not taking up for Al. I felt he was rewarded for no reason. However he was given a pass for whatever reason. That's why I said he had no expectations. He had NFL talent and his best players were actually recruited and signed to RS but he was still mediocre and fully supported by the admin with no signs of progress.

Moro said that Randy Shannon was/is a better talent evaluator than Butch Davis earlier in this thread.

Yes, I said it. And what? Oh, I get it you don't have the ammo to disprove it.

I don't have the ammo??? Are you serious? Please refer to the NFL drafts from the late 90s and early 2000s.

Stating that Randy Shannon is better at evaluating talent than Butch Davis is the craziest thing I've ever seen posted on this board and that is saying something.

I don't have the ammo??? Are you serious? Please refer to the NFL drafts from the late 90s and early 2000s.

Stating that Randy Shannon is better at evaluating talent than Butch Davis is the craziest thing I've ever seen posted on this board and that is saying something.

Ok, you finally concede to your *** whooping now you want to add another variable to the equation. You guys are funny... Just like the energizer bunny you take a licking and keep on ticking...

Ok, you and Butch can have the first round picks of the late 90's to 2000 draft and me and Randy will take the first round picks from 2001 to the 2015 draft. Let's get it!!!

Advertisement

Ok, you finally concede to your *** whooping now you want to add another variable to the equation. You guys are funny... Just like the energizer bunny you take a licking and keep on ticking...

Ok, you and Butch can have the first round picks of the late 90's to 2000 draft and me and Randy will take the first round picks from 2001 to the 2015 draft. Let's get it!!!

Nice try, but your facts are completely wrong.

You are aware that Butch Davis's players were on Miami's roster through the 2004 NFL draft, right? That's why I said late 90s through early 2000s. You attempted to arbitrarily draw the line at the year 2001 but those players were Butch players as well. It seems that you are not very familiar with Miami's history.

I'd be willing to bet you are the person on earth that thinks that Randy Shannon is a better talent evaluator than Butch Davis.

Nice try, but your facts are completely wrong.

You are aware that Butch Davis's players were on Miami's roster through the 2004 NFL draft, right? That's why I said late 90s through early 2000s. You attempted to arbitrarily draw the line at the year 2001 but those players were Butch players as well. It seems that you are not very familiar with Miami's history.

I'd be willing to bet you are the person on earth that thinks that Randy Shannon is a better talent evaluator than Butch Davis.

Here we go again you want to reduce Randy to just a fraction of himself and say bet the house on him knowing you have already rigged the game. Now because I’m not scared to let the cards fall where they may no matter who it is so I said, let’s get it. I didn’t complain because Butch had Ray Lewis, Yatil Green, Kenard Lang and Kenny Holmes already in the program (Dennis Erickson) before Butch came back from the NFL. So ****, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Randy also returned from the NFL in 2001. So don’t try to change the game up now that you are playing on an even field. Again I ask does this sound familiar?

Last edited:
Here we go again you want to reduce Randy to just a fraction of himself and say bet the house on him knowing you have already rigged the game. Now because I’m not scared to let the card fall where they may no matter who it is so I said let’s get it. I didn’t complain because Butch had Ray Lewis, Yatil Green, Kenard Lang and Kenny Holmes already in the program before Butch came back from the NFL. So ****, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Randy also returned from the NFL in 2001. So don’t try to change the game up now that you are playing on an even field. Again I ask does this sound familiar.

Uh oh, now you know you've lost and you are trying to change the argument.

You said Randy Shannon is a better talent evaluator than Butch Davis. That is the only point I'm discussing with you. I refuted your claim with facts.

I never said that Butch Davis would get credit for players like Ray Lewis, etc... because he was not the head coach when they were recruited but another nice try.

Again, I am not debating any other point with you other than YOUR claim that Randy Shannon is better at evaluating talent than Butch Davis. You've yet to provide any support for your claim but I hope you do so.

Advertisement
Here we go again you want to reduce Randy to just a fraction of himself and say bet the house on him knowing you have already rigged the game. Now because I’m not scared to let the card fall where they may no matter who it is so I said let’s get it. I didn’t complain because Butch had Ray Lewis, Yatil Green, Kenard Lang and Kenny Holmes already in the program before Butch came back from the NFL. So ****, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Randy also returned from the NFL in 2001. So don’t try to change the game up now that you are playing on an even field. Again I ask does this sound familiar.

You said Randy Shannon is a better talent evaluator than Butch Davis. That is the only point I'm discussing with you. I refuted your claim with facts.

I never said that Butch Davis would get credit for players like Ray Lewis, etc... because he was not the head coach when they were recruited but another nice try.

Again, I am not debating any other point with you other than YOUR claim that Randy Shannon is better at evaluating talent than Butch Davis. You've yet to provide any support for your claim but I hope you do so.

It's clear as day what was said. Randy is a better evaluator of talent than Butch. You requested that I refer to the first round draft picks of the late 90's to early 2000's which is the time period of Butch's return and departure to the NFL. So I took you up on that and pointed out only the start and end points for clarity. So it's simple Butch has what he started with and Randy has what he started with after both returned from the NFL. The only reason for concern now is because once again I have broken this last argument of yours down to its least common denominator for parity. Now, you feel less confident in Butch’s perceived title as the best recruiter in Miami's history.

Last edited:

It's clear as day what was said. Randy is a better evaluator of talent than Butch. You requested that I refer to the first round draft picks of the late 90's to early 2000's which is the time period of Butch's return and departure to the NFL. So I took you up on that and pointed out only the start and end points for clarity. So it's simple Butch has what he started with and Randy has what he started with after both returned from the NFL. The only reason for concern now is because once again I have broken this last argument of yours down to its least common denominator for parity. Now, you feel less confident in Butch’s perceived title as the best recruiter in Miami's history.

You are trying to change the parameters of the argument once again. I never once said first round draft picks, I said refer to the NFL drafts of the late 90s through the early 2000s.

You've yet to provide any specific facts that support your claim that Randy Shannon is a better evaluator of talent than Butch Davis. Please explain why you believe this.

You are trying to change the parameters of the argument once again. I never once said first round draft picks, I said refer to the NFL drafts of the late 90s through the early 2000s.

You've yet to provide any specific facts that support your claim that Randy Shannon is a better evaluator of talent than Butch Davis. Please explain why you believe this.

I see why you wrote the post to remind everyone that I said Randy was a better talent evaluator than Butch because you needed some help to disprove it. Everyone knows that Butch can't fug with Randy that's why after reading what I said they didn't respond. And like Butch you can't fug with Moro when it comes to this U!

Advertisement
Back