Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

Nobody wins here. Hope that Rad and others in control plead to Ruiz to keep deals private. You don’t see anyone else boasting about how much they are giving a player to represent their product.

Bad business practice…
Rad should keep a ton of distance between him and Ruiz. Should not "plead" with him about or for anything.

Any NIL deal is solely between the student and the business using their NIL and compensating them for that.

Advertisement
No matter what happens there will be ill-will over this. My take away from the newest remarks is that Ruiz is implying he may be trying to get Wong set up with other NIL support, in addition to his Life Wallet contract. That's really all he can do. It's up to Wong to sell himself and negotiate.... I would hope he would do this with new representation. I wonder what number he has in his mind as his "value"......

Keep quiet, seek other sponsors and hope you get drafted....

You need to quit while you're ahead.

The issue is not "renegotiation". The issue is renegotiating IN THE PRESS. If you want to get paid more at your job, you do NOT "go to the press".

And I'll make this simple. I will eliminate Wong's DESIRE to renegotiate and focus solely on the METHOD.

ON WHAT PLANET does "going to the press" give Wong any negotiating leverage whatsoever, leverage that could not have otherwise been exerted in a private conversation? Because "other schools" are obviously there, no matter whether you say that in public or private.

Does Wong think that the UM fanbase will picket Ruiz's offices and demand that he give Wong more money? Does Wong think that Barry "Afternoon BJ" Jackson is going to write a favorable op-ed that nudges John "I don't renegotiate" Ruiz into paying more? Does Wong think that every other millionaire and billionaire in SoFla is going to want to pay him, just to make Ruiz look bad?

Again, people need to ignore their feels on this. Nobody is saying Wong doesn't want more or shouldn't try to get more. And checkers-playing porsters can miss me with that whole "leverage" nonsense, which they clearly do not understand.

GOING PUBLIC IN THE PRESS was the worst possible move, the dumbest ploy, and something that simply will not work or turn out the way that Wong thought it would turn out.
I never said, going public in the press was a smart move. I was arguing with people who were taking shots at Wong for wanting more money. I think going to the press immediately was a dumb move and I stated that earlier in my comments. But there were people saying Wong shouldn't want more and that is who I am arguing with.

I never said, going public in the press was a smart move. I was arguing with people who were taking shots at Wong for wanting more money. I think going to the press immediately was a dumb move and I stated that earlier in my comments. But there were people saying Wong shouldn't want more and that is who I am arguing with.

some people think he should just be happy with what he has and thats that. some of these people may also be ones to never get a huge salary bump by seeking other employment opportunities. Wong saw what pack got and feels that hes at least on par with him as a player and has proven it in the ACC in his mind. he should seek everything he wants. if he wants to leave bc of it, so be it but this is what was always going to be a downfall of the new era. id rather all of this be done in private (including from the sponsor and player) but here we are and it looks ugly. to add, thats why Im not gonna hate on Wong. hes just doing what Ruiz does publicly. Ruiz likes to boast about his deals on twitter and likes to be in the spotlight so Wong and his reps decided to bring this out publicly. my preference on this is to keep it all quiet and just announce the deal when its done. doesn't have to be out there in what you're paying a kid, but just that we have struck a deal.

fwiw, id rather Ruiz stop responding to people on twitter regarding Wong and his deal. ****, just shut up and let it work itself out if it does, but no need to give twitter audiences insight.

Advertisement
Wellllllll....setting aside the fact that Miami just joined the ACC in 2005...

I'm still going to play the game....

First, Shane Larkin was the ACC Player of the Year and First Team All-ACC in 2013. That may not be "two-time", but it's still a pretty significant accomplishment, considering that he was also on the ACC All-Rookie Team in 2012.

Second, Jack McClinton was a two-time FIRST team All-ACC player in 2008 and 2009. Is that better than third team? Just checking.

Third, Guillermo Diaz was a two-time SECOND team All-ACC player in 2005 and 2006. Is that better than third team? My math may be off.

Fourth, Kenny Kadji was a SECOND Team All-ACC player in 2013 and a THIRD Team All-ACC player in 2012. Still better.

And let's not forget that Kam McGusty, in addition to being a FIRST team All-ACC player in 2022 was also on the Big 12 All-Rookie team and got Honorable Mention for the All Big 12 team in 2017.

Finally, and call me crazy, but we used to play in this old conference called the Big East, which I've heard was pretty good (and I only went to school at UM in the 1980s and 1990s, so please excuse my memory)...

---Tim James - First Team All Big East - 1998 and 1999, plus Big East Player of the Year in 1999 (second team in 1997, All-Rookie team in 1996)
---Johnny Hemsley - First Team All Big East - 1999 (second team in 2000)
---Darius Rice - Second Team All Big East - 2002 and 2004 (third team in 2003, All-Rookie team in 2001)
---John Salmons - Second Team All Big East - 2002 (third team in 2001)
---Constantin PO-PA - Third Team All Big East - 1993 and 1995

Now I know I'm being sarcastic in this post, but I just wanted to point out that Zay is not some sort of unicorn, he is the latest in a moderately impressive line of very good basketball players who have had at least 2 great years at Miami (or elsewhere in Kam's case). I gave you TEN other Miami players who have had comparable careers to Wong's.

And don't even get me started on Rick Barry...

10 in the history of our basketball program. You’ve changed my mind. He sucks.

Stuntin Like My Daddy Birdman GIF by Cash Money

some people think he should just be happy with what he has and thats that. some of these people may also be ones to never get a huge salary bump by seeking other employment opportunities. Wong saw what pack got and feels that hes at least on par with him as a player and has proven it in the ACC in his mind. he should seek everything he wants. if he wants to leave bc of it, so be it but this is what was always going to be a downfall of the new era. id rather all of this be done in private (including from the sponsor and player) but here we are and it looks ugly. to add, thats why Im not gonna hate on Wong. hes just doing what Ruiz does publicly. Ruiz likes to boast about his deals on twitter and likes to be in the spotlight so Wong and his reps decided to bring this out publicly. my preference on this is to keep it all quiet and just announce the deal when its done. doesn't have to be out there in what you're paying a kid, but just that we have struck a deal.

fwiw, id rather Ruiz stop responding to people on twitter regarding Wong and his deal. ****, just shut up and let it work itself out if it does, but no need to give twitter audiences insight.
First, Wong isn't anywhere as good as Pack. But aside from that fact, Wong's agent assisted him in structuring a deal with LifeWallet. NOW Wong feels that he wants more money ... and it is the AGENTS responsibility to FIND ADDITIONAL SPONSORS who are interested in structuring a NIL deal with Wong. He already has HIS DEAL with Ruiz ... what he needs are supplemental deals to increase his earnings. If nobody else is even interested in discussing a NIL deal with Wong ... that should tell you all you need to know. That and Uhaul telephone number.

Advertisement
First, Wong isn't anywhere as good as Pack. But aside from that fact, Wong's agent assisted him in structuring a deal with LifeWallet. NOW Wong feels that he wants more money ... and it is the AGENTS responsibility to FIND ADDITIONAL SPONSORS who are interested in structuring a NIL deal with Wong. He already has HIS DEAL with Ruiz ... what he needs are supplemental deals to increase his earnings. If nobody else is even interested in discussing a NIL deal with Wong ... that should tell you all you need to know. That and Uhaul telephone number.

I didn't say he was. I said Wong likely feels that he is and thats his perceived worth which is why where we are.

This whole thing is just unfortunate. I don’t see any way, with the publicity that this has gotten, that it does anything other than harm the locker room. I love Zay, and he was a huge part of the run we made this year, but it’s probably best for both parties, at this point, if we go our separate ways. I hate to say that, but this has “complete disaster” written all over it.

look, I actually didn't find the request to transfer a shot at life wallet solely. I think its more on the businesses around SFL to come up with money for Wong. im sure that life wallet deal with pack is what led him to here but I don't think Ruiz should solely pony up. I also don't blame Ruiz for not wanting to redo the deal with Wong. If it were me, id just pay up w.e. he wants in an NIL deal bc the whole point is to keep winning and keeping Wong helps that. it'll be hard to replace him this late in the cycle. either way, my only point is I wish it'd be done privately from all sides. I don't need a clown show on twitter advertising every deal and I don't need this clown show from the agent and Wong threatening to bounce

Advertisement
look, I actually didn't find the request to transfer a shot at life wallet solely. I think its more on the businesses around SFL to come up with money for Wong. im sure that life wallet deal with pack is what led him to here but I don't think Ruiz should solely pony up. I also don't blame Ruiz for not wanting to redo the deal with Wong. If it were me, id just pay up w.e. he wants in an NIL deal bc the whole point is to keep winning and keeping Wong helps that. it'll be hard to replace him this late in the cycle. either way, my only point is I wish it'd be done privately from all sides. I don't need a clown show on twitter advertising every deal and I don't need this clown show from the agent and Wong threatening to bounce
No way "you just pay up" ... that is a horrible precedent to establish. Wong's agent can't find additional companies interested in an NIL deal? THAT is the deal breaker? Then leave ... see WHERE ELSE he is going to get a BETTER deal. It's not out there. He might have to play in the European NBA to get a salary ... period.

I can’t believe Wong’s stupid a$$ agent publicly demanded for more money. Way to put a negative spotlight on Miami.

I love Wong and hope he stays but this is a terrible look.

Of course he’s a great player and has been a great leader at Miami since he arrived, but this is a terrible look and a no win situation.

People should also stop pretending like the other guy is getting paid 8x more — it’s 4x more per year the other guy just has more eligibility.

No way "you just pay up" ... that is a horrible precedent to establish. Wong's agent can't find additional companies interested in an NIL deal? THAT is the deal breaker? Then leave ... see WHERE ELSE he is going to get a BETTER deal. It's not out there. He might have to play in the European NBA to get a salary ... period.

lol were talking about winning games and paying for that. im not about precedent. im about paying w.e. it takes to wn. thats what the NIL represents to me. legal paying of players. if we make another run, no one give a **** if we broke precedent and paid a bit more to Wong to stay

Advertisement

The problem with doing it publicly for Wong is that it leaves zero plausible deniability that it’s pay for play which means it would bring the whole thing down for everyone else.

I’m fine with wanting to get yours, but it’s selfish and unwise to try to get yours in a way that brings everyone down with you because you didn’t get what you wanted

lol were talking about winning games and paying for that. im not about precedent. im about paying w.e. it takes to wn. thats what the NIL represents to me. legal paying of players. if we make another run, no one give a **** if we broke precedent and paid a bit more to Wong to stay
Wong said the quiet part out loud though and now if Ruiz renegotiates it’ll be easy to prove that he is breaking the law and rule about NIL. Then an investigation begins into every other athlete.

And you don’t renegotiate with a player or you’ll have this same exact clusterfuq going on with every football player and athlete every year.

Not your money ... not your decision. Wong and his agent made a very poor decision. Amateur hour at it's worst.

Advertisement
Back