Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

heitner also said its why the uF NIL program doesn't publicly state numbers given to athletes. they don't want to create a mess within the Locker room.
My reaction was not your comment, but Heitner's. I guarantee if they gave out a big enough deal to make headlines, it would be out there. Same as Bama with Bryce Young, guy at UT, Clemson's QB last year, Ewers at OSU, etc. And I would still love to hear what underlying companies are signing guys through the Gator Collective and what marketing efforts those players are doing to substantiate it.

Advertisement
Bottom line for the basketball team is wong was a good scorer but also could be a black hole. Both can be true. It’s not the worst loss in the world but we do need to replace him. Which is possible

I think Wong is going to get a lesson in life that we see with in the NFL when they or their representatives take to social media over $$.

Don't make public threats when you want to renegotiate. He's now put Ruiz in an impossible situation. If Ruiz gives into Wong, then he opens the door for every athlete to ask for a new deal.

Basically Ruiz has to say NO, or he looks soft in the eyes of agents. Also Wong created a bad situation for himself. If Ruiz says NO, then Wong has to transfer even for less money to save face.

He just should have directed his agent to renegotiate QUIETLY. This way, more options stay on the table.

Last edited:
The guy who got Pack his deal represents Wong. Maybe he would've been obligated not to tell Wong what he got for his other client but I got a feeling this would've been an issue considering the connection no matter what.
Ruiz announced Pack's deal to the public. I don't think he thought about the downside of thst going public could create animosity.

Advertisement
Some additional comments today from Ruiz

"As with all of our NIL players, both Cigarette and LifeWallet determine a fair market value for our companies. Notwithstanding, I have always explained to the players that other companies are likely to offer them NIL deals," LifeWallet founder John Ruiz told The Athletic after Wong's request became public. "This has been the case with many of our NIL players.

"However, my opinion is that providing an ultimatum in leaving without a higher payment is not within the spirit of the NIL structures or good business practice. This doesn’t mean I will not help Isaiah and his family, who I find to be a phenomenal family. This is also new territory for players and their families. In the end, what I hope for is that players trust me and our platforms. We want the best for all of them."

Nobody wins here. Hope that Rad and others in control plead to Ruiz to keep deals private. You don’t see anyone else boasting about how much they are giving a player to represent their product.

Bad business practice…

Some additional comments today from Ruiz

"As with all of our NIL players, both Cigarette and LifeWallet determine a fair market value for our companies. Notwithstanding, I have always explained to the players that other companies are likely to offer them NIL deals," LifeWallet founder John Ruiz told The Athletic after Wong's request became public. "This has been the case with many of our NIL players.

"However, my opinion is that providing an ultimatum in leaving without a higher payment is not within the spirit of the NIL structures or good business practice. This doesn’t mean I will not help Isaiah and his family, who I find to be a phenomenal family. This is also new territory for players and their families. In the end, what I hope for is that players trust me and our platforms. We want the best for all of them."
Seems like the only "help" that Ruiz could/should do is to find Wong a supplemental deal through Lambert or somewhere else and to tell him (Papas) to shut his effing mouth about it or to "help" him terminate his current LifeWallet deal and hit the road.

The later might be best long-term on our end.

Last edited:
Nobody wins here. Hope that Rad and others in control plead to Ruiz to keep deals private. You don’t see anyone else boasting about how much they are giving a player to represent their product.

Bad business practice…

Maybe those schools aren't boasting because their NIL deals are embarrassing next to ours.

Advertisement

Bad business practice…
This is simply not true.

Ohio State with Ewers;
Tennessee with Nico;
Bama with Bryce Young;
Texas with their OL;
A&M boasting about a $25M signing class.

Well…
9EA4E2FA-B0E9-427B-B672-23EE2D993E0D.gif

Advertisement
No knowledge, but I would bet Wong and his scumbag agent tried to do this quietly before going public. They went public just now because the portal deadline is almost here and wanted to put the pressure on Ruiz and others to up the ante to keep him. He probably wants to stay.

I do agree that Ruiz shouldn't go and let the world know about the $ figures on these deals, but Wong has the same agent as Pack. He knew what Pack got and wants in that ballpark. He should've negotiated better just weeks ago when he signed his contract. Ruiz probably would have done it then if he did it for Pack. This agent screwed him over. If he thinks he is worth that much he should've held out for it then.

I think Heitner is right though. I don't think anybody will offer Wong now after they put that out there. It's a very grey area that most teams will not want to venture in to. Not worth the possible headache down the road

This is simply not true.

Ohio State with Ewers;
Tennessee with Nico;
Bama with Bryce Young;
Texas with their OL;
A&M boasting about a $25M signing class.

the thing is Nicos deal wasn't confirmed. just a lot of rumors. im fine with leaving it at rumors but I prefer not to have deal amounts out there provided by the sponsor. if the agent or player wants To do it, so be it. either way, our booster likes his attention so it is what it is

the thing is Nicos deal wasn't confirmed. just a lot of rumors. im fine with leaving it at rumors but I prefer not to have deal amounts out there provided by the sponsor. if the agent or player wants To do it, so be it. either way, our booster likes his attention so it is what it is
I get it, and truly see both sides to this. But my point is 1) we are not the only place doing this and 2) the numbers tend to get out to the public anyways, so they certainly get out privately. And even moreso, you did not hear a peep from the media when their list of approved vendor schools were doing it. Only now is it a problem.

With that said, I understand why you may not want to publicize it or how it opens you up to things like this. I just don't think it would necessarily avoid these situations and for me, the good of getting the word out to consider Miami outweighs those concerns.

Advertisement
As soon as I saw the terms of Pack's contract go public I knew this would create jealousy and issues in the locker room. Even though he meant well by it, in my opinion this was a mistake by Ruiz, but he's right to not cave to this kid's demands (even though his hands may now be tied legally anyway given the pay-for-enrollment/play implications); I like Wong as a player and he seems like a good kid, but you can't establish a precedent that gives them too much leverage. Either way, his agent definitely ****ed up in the way this was handled, 100% should have been discussed behind the scenes.

Bad business practice…
It gets out regardless, one way or another.

The deadline is apparently Sunday now.

"I dare you to cross this line! Ok... I dare you to cross THIS line now! Ok, well, uh... don't cross this line. You'll be sorry.. "

This all bums me out. Reason the NIL will ruin everything. I like Wong a lot but I get his take. Pitting these kids agains each other for the almighty $$$ is gonna go poorly. I’m confident Miami will make the most of it but I still feel icky about it.

Advertisement
Back