Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

Advertisement
No one cares about the pay for play right now. If they did TAMU would be the first on their list.
TAMU didn't have any players publicly come out and say the deal wasn't big enough and if it didn't increase they were going on the open market. The one thing you can not do is be blatantly obvious. Wong has done that. No one will look at any NIL deal he signs at anything but pay for play. He wants to get paid for his performance at Miami. Not as a "spokesperson" for a company. It'll be the same some place else.

Maybe the laws are so murky that it doesn't matter but he would've been much better off not playing a game of chicken with Ruiz and just leaving. He would've gotten a good deal. Now questions of legality will follow him wherever he goes.

Wong is a two time third team All ACC. You know how many other players in program history have done that or better? Well me neither but its probably 0 or 1.

Wellllllll....setting aside the fact that Miami just joined the ACC in 2005...

I'm still going to play the game....

First, Shane Larkin was the ACC Player of the Year and First Team All-ACC in 2013. That may not be "two-time", but it's still a pretty significant accomplishment, considering that he was also on the ACC All-Rookie Team in 2012.

Second, Jack McClinton was a two-time FIRST team All-ACC player in 2008 and 2009. Is that better than third team? Just checking.

Third, Guillermo Diaz was a two-time SECOND team All-ACC player in 2005 and 2006. Is that better than third team? My math may be off.

Fourth, Kenny Kadji was a SECOND Team All-ACC player in 2013 and a THIRD Team All-ACC player in 2012. Still better.

And let's not forget that Kam McGusty, in addition to being a FIRST team All-ACC player in 2022 was also on the Big 12 All-Rookie team and got Honorable Mention for the All Big 12 team in 2017.

Finally, and call me crazy, but we used to play in this old conference called the Big East, which I've heard was pretty good (and I only went to school at UM in the 1980s and 1990s, so please excuse my memory)...

---Tim James - First Team All Big East - 1998 and 1999, plus Big East Player of the Year in 1999 (second team in 1997, All-Rookie team in 1996)
---Johnny Hemsley - First Team All Big East - 1999 (second team in 2000)
---Darius Rice - Second Team All Big East - 2002 and 2004 (third team in 2003, All-Rookie team in 2001)
---John Salmons - Second Team All Big East - 2002 (third team in 2001)
---Constantin PO-PA - Third Team All Big East - 1993 and 1995

Now I know I'm being sarcastic in this post, but I just wanted to point out that Zay is not some sort of unicorn, he is the latest in a moderately impressive line of very good basketball players who have had at least 2 great years at Miami (or elsewhere in Kam's case). I gave you TEN other Miami players who have had comparable careers to Wong's.

And don't even get me started on Rick Barry...

TAMU didn't have any players publicly come out and say the deal wasn't big enough and if it didn't increase they were going on the open market. The one thing you can not do is be blatantly obvious. Wong has done that. No one will look at any NIL deal he signs at anything but pay for play. He wants to get paid for his performance at Miami. Not as a "spokesperson" for a company. It'll be the same some place else.

Maybe the laws are so murky that it doesn't matter but he would've been much better off not playing a game of chicken with Ruiz and just leaving. He would've gotten a good deal. Now questions of legality will follow him wherever he goes.
I am talking about another school. If he leaves here after saying he wants elite 8 money. And UF picks him up and pays him 500k or whatever they agree on, that isn't proof of pay for play.

Advertisement
Personal attacks
I am talking about another school. If he leaves here after saying he wants elite 8 money. And UF picks him up and pays him 500k or whatever they agree on, that isn't proof of pay for play.

potato0729.jpg

Show me where I said that and I’ll leave this board and your potato brain alone forever

So what were you trying to say with "any leverage he had evaporated when his agent went to the media"? That means you think he lost all negotiating ability, in other words, no other school would pay him even close to what Ruiz was offering.

Advertisement
According to @AmherstCane this must mean wong is an idiot. Because according to him only idiots would do something like this.

You and Wong have about the same maturity level.

Watch what happens.

And, yes, this was an idiot move for Wong. He’s not getting drafted this year, he’s not nearly as good as Pack, and he just outed himself as a me first guy who is fine with holding his team hostage.

Watch what happens.

And, yes, this was an idiot move for Wong. He’s not getting drafted this year, he’s not nearly as good as Pack, and he just outed himself as a me first guy who is fine with holding his team hostage.
So you are calling one of our players an idiot. That is not very homer of you. You should slurp harder or you will be labeled a Gaytor Troll.

Advertisement

Watch what happens.

Yeah I'm not sure "I was leader on an Elite 8" is gonna hold the same type of weight as he thinks when it is backed up by "I'll leave that same team if I don't get more money". While I don't really buy that wanting what you think is market value makes you a bad guy, I'm not a coach and they tend to look at that stuff differently. Specifically a college coach who might not be interested in managing a roster the way you have to now with NIL in play.

Yeah I'm not sure "I was leader on an Elite 8" is gonna hold the same type of weight as he thinks when it is backed up by "I'll leave that same team if I don't get more money". While I don't really buy that wanting what you think is market value makes you a bad guy, I'm not a coach and they tend to look at that stuff differently. Specifically a college coach who might not be interested in managing a roster the way you have to now with NIL in play.
This happens all the time in the real world and why bosses try so hard to have employees hide their salaries from one another.

If you are getting paid 100k at your job and someone gets hired for 800k doing the same job as you, while only being a level or 2 better than you, most people would try to renegotiate.

hes not done if a third party guy in South Florida finds a marketing or other role for Wong and offers him additional (seems RUIZ deal is not EXCLUSIVE) cash.... seems to be allowed and maybe what the agent was seeking all along...
I don’t think he’s done here as in he couldn’t get another couple NIL bucks somewhere. I think he’s done here because the way this was handled has very publicly burned bridges and there’s probably no going back at this point

Advertisement
This happens all the time in the real world and why bosses try so hard to have employees hide their salaries from one another.

If you are getting paid 100k at your job and someone gets hired for 800k doing the same job as you, while only being a level or 2 better than you, most people would try to renegotiate.
Most people wouldn't run into the break room and scream "I'm outta here in 12 hrs unless this is rectified!!!".

There is ZERO reason or actual benefit for Papas to have gone public today. They could've communicated Wong's EXACT SAME intentions privately and it would've actually created MORE room for him to have possibly stayed here and been handed more cash. Now there's almost zero chance that happens AND Papas has created a "character issue" question for pro teams about a player that was at best borderline NBA draftable.

Wong isn’t good enough to be playing this game publicly.

L is a real well liked guy with enormous connections in the basketball world.

This was a very, very foolish move by Wong and his agent.

P-O-T-A-T…

Wong and his rep were given the opportunity to negotiate. They settled on what they thought was a good price. If he truly wanted to get a real sense of his value he should've entered the portal, visited schools and if his preference was to stay at Miami, bring back numbers and see what Ruiz would say. Instead he's looking at what a younger player who was all conference got and saying "hey, thats not fair, I was on a good team I want more".

The same guy who got Pack his deal represents Wong. Look at your guy and say "you screwed me" not "I need more or I'm leaving". This is a last ditch effort because Ruiz already told them no. And not a good effort. Ruiz has already publicly said he's not giving Wong more so that removes the place that would probably value him more than others off the board when it comes to playing one offer against the other.

Advertisement
Back