With all the speculation about potential HC's

1st. Urban
2nd. Kiffen
3rd. Chud
4th.Schiano
5th.Malzahn

Malzahn is better than anyone on that list not named Urban Meyer and it's not even debatable. I would take Gus in a heartbeat. If I had to make a list of my favorite potential candidates for the UM HC job if/when it becomes available, it would be as follows in no particular order.

1. Gary Patterson
2. Mark Stoops
3. Butch Davis( yeah I said it)
4. Mark Hudspeth
5. Joey Jones
6. Rhett Lashlee
7. Matt Wells
8. Rob Chudzinski
9. Mike Norvell
10. Tom Herman
11. Geoff Collins
12. Scott Frost

Advertisement
Here's a realistic list that will be looked at it's not MY list, but it's the reality and they are in no particular order.

1. Schiano
2. Cristobal
3. Chudzinski
4. Winston Moss

That's just what it looks like to me on who the admin will look at.

It has to be someone with UM ties.

Randy Shannon
Chud
Ray Lewis
Lamar Thomas
Dan Sileo
Luis Cristobal (I don't think we can afford Mario)

Advertisement
Here's a realistic list that will be looked at it's not MY list, but it's the reality and they are in no particular order.

1. Schiano
2. Cristobal
3. Chudzinski
4. Winston Moss

That's just what it looks like to me on who the admin will look at.

I agree entirely! These are our best and most viable choices, but I'd add Jeremy Pruitt strictly because he's proven to me he's a really good DC, unlike Muschamp's undeserved rep. My choice is Schiano because he give's us the entire package. Plus he'll build the type of team that can play against power teams and spread teams.

Forgot to add that with the marked improved facilities, recruiting hotbed and financial commitment to better assistant salaries, Miami is attractive to many coaches. You'd have to be a blind coach not to think you can't win a championship with access to all the talent in SoFl. Also I'd add Lane Kiffin to the list because of the Tennessee departure, SEC teams may not offer him. So his choices are limited and Miami would give him the only chance to compete for titles.

Fuente is the guy that makes the most sense from that list, based on our recent history.

We can afford him. He's use to coaching in a regular city, not a college town. And he also coached at TCU, which is similar to Miami.

I know Hudspeth gets a ton of love on this site. But I actually heard him use "the wind" as a factor in one of his loses on their website. Huge jump coming from ULL to Miami, IMO. Definitley bigger than coming from Memphis.

IMO, we should just pay Dan Mullen $4.5MM to leave Miss State, and let Hudspeth replace him. Both seem like they would be better fits for the universities in that scenario.

But short us paying big money, pay Fuente $2.5MM, and hope he's the next "up and comer". And if he is, pay whatever it takes to keep him ... Knowing that we saved about $2MM per year on his first deal.

Of current head coaches, my guess at likely candidates (not necessarily my preference) would be:

1. Gundy (Oklahoma St)
2. Tubberville (Cincinnati)
3. Rodriguez (Arizona)
4. Holgerson (West Virginia)
5. Kingsbury (Texas Tech)
6. Pinkel (Missouri)
7. Hudspeth (UL-Lafayette)
8. Malzahn (Auburn)
9. Mullen (Mississippi State)
10. Stoops (Kentucky)
11. McNeill (East Carolina)
12. Fuente (Memphis)

I honestly think I would rather have Hudspeth than Mullen. Hudspeth has won 9 games and a bowl every year. I've seen Mullen coach and I'm not impressed. He is mediocre at best. I'd rather gamble on Hudspeth being as good as people think he will be than taking someone who I already know is mediocre.

Advertisement
Forgot to add that with the marked improved facilities, recruiting hotbed and financial commitment to better assistant salaries, Miami is attractive to many coaches. You'd have to be a blind coach not to think you can't win a championship with access to all the talent in SoFl. Also I'd add Lane Kiffin to the list because of the Tennessee departure, SEC teams may not offer him. So his choices are limited and Miami would give him the only chance to compete for titles.

USC is about the same situation as Miami. Big city, recruiting hot bed, great history, and when he took over they were struggling... he **** the bed. What makes you think it would be anything different here?

I was on that bandwagon not long ago, I mean maybe he learned something from Saban, maybe not. But I just don't think he's the right choice. Imho he is just an elite OC and nothing more. Also, not sure if I would want Monte Kiffin running the defense..

Malzhan is defensive coordinator at UNC Chapel Hill....We play his defense this year and Golden will see why he rates over Don'tno..

Advertisement
Best we can do is
Schiano or Doc Holiday

If we go Asst, I'd go Doug Meachum or Brent Venables

I still think Kiffen will get a look. But unless we're paying north of $3.5MM, he might stay put.

I think he can get better as an HC. I think the USC situation humbled him in a way he had not experienced before. The Oakland firing seemed like Al Davis was crazy. But the USC firing was a blow to him.

If Kiffen accepts any responsibility for that situation, and is using his time with Saban to grow, I think he'd be the best candidate for Miami from the assistant coach ranks.

USC is about the same situation as Miami. Big city, recruiting hot bed, great history, and when he took over they were struggling... he **** the bed. What makes you think it would be anything different here?

I was on that bandwagon not long ago, I mean maybe he learned something from Saban, maybe not. But I just don't think he's the right choice. Imho he is just an elite OC and nothing more. Also, not sure if I would want Monte Kiffin running the defense..

Hudspeth would definitely be the less expensive option.

And, hey?!? Tressel proved coaches can make big leaps if they can coach.

So, I wouldn't hate the hire.

He would give the program a much different feel than the current regime ...

Fuente is the guy that makes the most sense from that list, based on our recent history.

We can afford him. He's use to coaching in a regular city, not a college town. And he also coached at TCU, which is similar to Miami.

I know Hudspeth gets a ton of love on this site. But I actually heard him use "the wind" as a factor in one of his loses on their website. Huge jump coming from ULL to Miami, IMO. Definitley bigger than coming from Memphis.

IMO, we should just pay Dan Mullen $4.5MM to leave Miss State, and let Hudspeth replace him. Both seem like they would be better fits for the universities in that scenario.

But short us paying big money, pay Fuente $2.5MM, and hope he's the next "up and comer". And if he is, pay whatever it takes to keep him ... Knowing that we saved about $2MM per year on his first deal.

Of current head coaches, my guess at likely candidates (not necessarily my preference) would be:

1. Gundy (Oklahoma St)
2. Tubberville (Cincinnati)
3. Rodriguez (Arizona)
4. Holgerson (West Virginia)
5. Kingsbury (Texas Tech)
6. Pinkel (Missouri)
7. Hudspeth (UL-Lafayette)
8. Malzahn (Auburn)
9. Mullen (Mississippi State)
10. Stoops (Kentucky)
11. McNeill (East Carolina)
12. Fuente (Memphis)

I honestly think I would rather have Hudspeth than Mullen. Hudspeth has won 9 games and a bowl every year. I've seen Mullen coach and I'm not impressed. He is mediocre at best. I'd rather gamble on Hudspeth being as good as people think he will be than taking someone who I already know is mediocre.

Advertisement
I still think Kiffen will get a look. But unless we're paying north of $3.5MM, he might stay put.

I think he can get better as an HC. I think the USC situation humbled him in a way he had not experienced before. The Oakland firing seemed like Al Davis was crazy. But the USC firing was a blow to him.

If Kiffen accepts any responsibility for that situation, and is using his time with Saban to grow, I think he'd be the best candidate for Miami from the assistant coach ranks.

We could do a lot worse than Kiffin, Mullen, Hudspeth for sure lol for example I think Mario Cristobal would be terrible

I respect Cristobal and would give him a chance and I think he would be a slight upgrade to Golden as far as hiring staff, running a fitting scheme, and actually getting players that come from Miami and belong here. But as a gameday coach he is no better than Al.

Occam's Razor says Butch Davis.

Occam's nose hair trimmer says Kiffen.

Occam's *** wax jar says Cristobalz.

1st. Urban
2nd. Kiffen
3rd. Chud
4th.Schiano
5th.Malzahn

Malzahn is better than anyone on that list not named Urban Meyer and it's not even debatable. I would take Gus in a heartbeat. If I had to make a list of my favorite potential candidates for the UM HC job if/when it becomes available, it would be as follows in no particular order.

1. Gary Patterson
2. Mark Stoops
3. Butch Davis( yeah I said it)
4. Mark Hudspeth
5. Joey Jones
6. Rhett Lashlee
7. Matt Wells
8. Rob Chudzinski
9. Mike Norvell
10. Tom Herman
11. Geoff Collins
12. Scott Frost

Norvell and especially Frost are the most interesting names in that
list (Butch, Kiffin, and Urban aint happening, so waste of time discussing).

I would also add Ed Warriner, who is on Meyer's staff.
His resume is very impressive, having played for Larry Kehres at Mt.Union,
and coached for such names as Mark Mangino, Brian Kelly in addition to Meyer.
He also coached at both Army and Air Force as well on the defensive side of the
ball, so he has a very extensive background and probably a decent contact-list of
coaches.

Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletic Site - Football

Advertisement
Back