With all the speculation about potential HC's

Guys with HC experience that are any good are already secure in their jobs or likely too expensive for us.

Too expensive? Explain please.

Well, seems pretty self explanatory. Anyone with legit HC success is going to, generally, command the type of salary UM sees as prohibitive. If we spend big for an HC, they generally want their assistants, again expensive, and at this point UM generally taps out.

So it's your opinion that Miami will never hire another good coach, because they get paid an amount Miami can afford but is unwilling to spend?

As you are seemingly set on being contentious, at a minimum, I will play along. I am saying that Miami has shown an inclination to not spend like SEC, Big 10 or other big time programs for a coach. Does that mean a good one cannot be found, absolutely not. It does dictate an approach of up and coming guys, like K. Smart as opposed to big time established guys like either Stoops. I hope this overly simplistic break down is mushy enough for you to swallow. This is not a difficult concept.

Furthermore, if they could afford such an established HC why did we, successively, hire Coker, Shannon and then Golden?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I seriously doubt miami goes after anyone with SEC ties.Unless it's someone like Cristobal.

Guys with HC experience that are any good are already secure in their jobs or likely too expensive for us.

Well, seems pretty self explanatory. Anyone with legit HC success is going to, generally, command the type of salary UM sees as prohibitive. If we spend big for an HC, they generally want their assistants, again expensive, and at this point UM generally taps out.

So it's your opinion that Miami will never hire another good coach, because they get paid an amount Miami can afford but is unwilling to spend?

As you are seemingly set on being contentious, at a minimum, I will play along. I am saying that Miami has shown an inclination to not spend like SEC, Big 10 or other big time programs for a coach. Does that mean a good one cannot be found, absolutely not. It does dictate an approach of up and coming guys, like K. Smart as opposed to big time established guys like either Stoops. I hope this overly simplistic break down is mushy enough for you to swallow. This is not a difficult concept.

Furthermore, if they could afford such an established HC why did we, successively, hire Coker, Shannon and then Golden?

So it is your opinion that Miami will not spend the money to hire a good coach.

You didn't need to write a doctoral thesis to qualify your unfounded opinion. A simple "yes" would've worked.

I disagree in principal. No conversation to be had here.

Prefer HC experience ...... I know Al was a HC however too many Asst's flame out

Funny because we've had far more success with guys who were assistants.

How do you figure? In the modern era:

Howard was an assistant, in the NFL.
Jimmy was a HC.
Dennis was a HC.
Butch was an assistant, under Jimmy here and in the NFL.
Coker was an assistant here.
Randy was an assistant here.
Al was a HC.

At best, for your contention, this is a pick 'em.
Realistically, we've had two assistants who performed well (and one of those didn't come into this program as a normal assistant) and a couple abject failures (both with U roots).
At HC we've gone 2 for 3.

In any event, we haven't had a good coach in a loooong time.

My bad, for some reason was thinking Jimmy was an assistant before Miami.

In the past this was true, but I think this time Miami is willing to spend big money ti get the right guy.

Advertisement
Of current head coaches, my guess at likely candidates (not necessarily my preference) would be:

1. Gundy (Oklahoma St)
2. Tubberville (Cincinnati)
3. Rodriguez (Arizona)
4. Holgerson (West Virginia)
5. Kingsbury (Texas Tech)
6. Pinkel (Missouri)
7. Hudspeth (UL-Lafayette)
8. Malzahn (Auburn)
9. Mullen (Mississippi State)
10. Stoops (Kentucky)
11. McNeill (East Carolina)
12. Fuente (Memphis)

tubbervile would have came last time and on the cheap. I want a coach that runs a 4-3 and a pro style offense. period. no bullcrap schemes

Of current head coaches, my guess at likely candidates (not necessarily my preference) would be:

1. Gundy (Oklahoma St)
3. Rodriguez (Arizona)
6. Pinkel (Missouri)
8. Malzahn (Auburn)
10. Stoops (Kentucky)
12. Fuente (Memphis)

What would be your preference?

Advertisement

You didn't need to write a doctoral thesis to qualify your unfounded opinion. A simple "yes" would've worked.

No, to this point over the last three hires the University of Miami has not spent the money needed to acquire the coaching it needed, starting with the HC and trickeling down through the assistant ranks. You are welcome to disagree and offer nothing substantive as you have done to this point.
That said, you have to have a reason you find my opinion to be unfounded. I am all ears. I'm not so foolish as to think I am absolutely correct. Many a better opinion than mine are out there.

Last edited:

No, to this point over the last three hires the University of Miami has not spent the money needed to acquire the coaching it needed, starting with the HC and trickeling down through the assistant ranks. You are welcome to disagree and offer nothing substantive as you have done to this point.

Golden got somewhere in the range of 10 year/25-30 million. I consider $30 million enough to get a hired gun.

The poor decision making(which we agree on) isn't indicative of frugality, in my unsubstantiated opinion.

Advertisement
I agree that 2.5~3 million should easily get it done with the HC possition if the poor decision making is alleviated, a big if\un known. Where I am fearful Miami will make a poor\frugal decision will be in filling out the assistant coaches needed to recruit with the big boys. My whole original thought was getting an up and comer like Smart and spreading some $ that we saved through that approach through the rest off the staff. 10 years for any coach not named Bryant is 5 too many in CFB.
Apologies for the antagonistic tone, many on these sites look at agitate pointlessly.

Advertisement
1.)Butch
2.)Butch
3.)Butch
4.)Butch
5.) Mark Stoops (only if something happens that makes hiring Butch impossible)

IMO, you are likely to be very disappointed with a he next HC hire.

Butch won't get a look, and Stoops won't give us a look. He's not leaving Lexington for South Florida. He sees the grief Bob gets, and saw Mike get run out of Arizona. He has a great gig, where they just expect to be competitive and get to bowl games ... Keep folks happy until basketball season starts. And they pay him $3.5MM, with bonuses for winning more than 6 games in a season.

Fuente is the guy that makes the most sense from that list, based on our recent history.

We can afford him. He's use to coaching in a regular city, not a college town. And he also coached at TCU, which is similar to Miami.

I know Hudspeth gets a ton of love on this site. But I actually heard him use "the wind" as a factor in one of his loses on their website. Huge jump coming from ULL to Miami, IMO. Definitley bigger than coming from Memphis.

IMO, we should just pay Dan Mullen $4.5MM to leave Miss State, and let Hudspeth replace him. Both seem like they would be better fits for the universities in that scenario.

But short us paying big money, pay Fuente $2.5MM, and hope he's the next "up and comer". And if he is, pay whatever it takes to keep him ... Knowing that we saved about $2MM per year on his first deal.

1. Gundy (Oklahoma St)
3. Rodriguez (Arizona)
6. Pinkel (Missouri)
8. Malzahn (Auburn)
10. Stoops (Kentucky)
12. Fuente (Memphis)