With all the speculation about potential HC's

Ashevegas Cane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
What are everyone's thoughts on, if it happens, Kirby Smart? He is seemingly the next in line, has paid his dues as a successfull coordinator at big programs and all the needed check marks aside from being a retread HC.

I want this team to win starting now but if it doesn't happen what about Smart??

Advertisement
Guys with HC experience that are any good are already secure in their jobs or likely too expensive for us.

Smart should've jumped ship the year before last, but wasn't ready or the right offer never came along. He's kind of in a catch 22 position. Saban is still viewed as the mastermind behind the defense with Smart there beside him, but when the defense isn't as good as it is typically (this past season) Smart is the guy held accountable. He's got this year to redeem himself or his stock will fall even more.

As for him as our HC, I'm in favor or young coaches if you're going to take a gamble on an unproven one. In theory they should have the extra fire from youth to give it more than someone who's older and more established. They also don't tend to be as set in their ways. Toss in the less of an age factor for recruiting, you've hit the lottery providing they come with good knowledge and are willing to learn from their mistakes.

We could do far worse, but with another good season he'll be out of our pay range. Big bonus points for learning under one of college football's best coaches, arguably the best one.

Want a HC with experience who has won at least a conference title wherever they coming from

Advertisement
1.)Butch
2.)Butch
3.)Butch
4.)Butch
5.) Mark Stoops (only if something happens that makes hiring Butch impossible)

Advertisement
Guys with HC experience that are any good are already secure in their jobs or likely too expensive for us.

Too expensive? Explain please.

Well, seems pretty self explanatory. Anyone with legit HC success is going to, generally, command the type of salary UM sees as prohibitive. If we spend big for an HC, they generally want their assistants, again expensive, and at this point UM generally taps out.

I don't like anyone who runs a 3-4. I don't like the defense. It makes speed unimportant. I believe a fast defense is ideal

Too expensive? Explain please.

Well, seems pretty self explanatory. Anyone with legit HC success is going to, generally, command the type of salary UM sees as prohibitive. If we spend big for an HC, they generally want their assistants, again expensive, and at this point UM generally taps out.

So it's your opinion that Miami will never hire another good coach, because they get paid an amount Miami can afford but is unwilling to spend?

Advertisement
You guys are again setting yourselves up for a meltdown.

There will be no coaching change until AFTER the season, unless we are a complete disaster.

Butch is never coaching here, or any other D1 program. He is radioactive.

The job is still attractive, especially to a good young coach who has something to prove.

This has nothing to do with being a "Slurper". I dont care if Golden gets fired tomorrow, I am just not losing any sleep over something that is unlikely to happen.

Prefer HC experience ...... I know Al was a HC however too many Asst's flame out

Funny because we've had far more success with guys who were assistants.

How do you figure? In the modern era:

Howard was an assistant, in the NFL.
Jimmy was a HC.
Dennis was a HC.
Butch was an assistant, under Jimmy here and in the NFL.
Coker was an assistant here.
Randy was an assistant here.
Al was a HC.

At best, for your contention, this is a pick 'em.
Realistically, we've had two assistants who performed well (and one of those didn't come into this program as a normal assistant) and a couple abject failures (both with U roots).
At HC we've gone 2 for 3.

In any event, we haven't had a good coach in a loooong time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back