Wiltfong on the portal....

Advertisement
In this order:
  1. DT
  2. LB
  3. CB
  4. OL (got a nice crop coming in, but a couple really good portals would be great)
  5. WR ( got 2 speed guys coming. Need more)
  6. QB (Hopefully Emory shocks the world. Can't blame Rashada with this offense)
  7. RB (now we know depth is very necessary)

Advertisement
always found it curious - the concept of elite guys portaling. IMO, that's a big risk and it hasn't been that prevalent. Yet Fong and others have implied that loads of elite guys will go portaling this off season.
This was the one issue that has always given me an uneasy feeling about the portal existing at the same time with the one time transfer rule. Elite players jumping ship. At that point its officially free agency.

Miami is a big name school. So is Oklahoma. So is (holding my nose) UF. I could obviously go on. None of them are immune to losing their top kids to bigger names. NIL and school loyalty won't be an antidote forever.

Probably not this year and maybe not even in the next 5 years.. but eventually.. we're going to see the best players - All American level players - all try to go to one team in an attempt to form their own super team. Its inevitable. Its already happened on every other level, in pretty much every other sport. They won't even need NIL guarantees before hand because once they form their super team, everyone will want a piece of them anyway.

Advertisement
always found it curious - the concept of elite guys portaling. IMO, that's a big risk and it hasn't been that prevalent. Yet Fong and others have implied that loads of elite guys will go portaling this off season.

Everything has risk. What school/program you sign with has risk. The portal certainly has risk. I think there's less risk for an elite player. At least they'll be the ones who land a committable offer from another program. I'm interested in seeing data on how many kids entered the portal and came away with no offers and no return to their existing program.

But again, at the elite level we're seeing big name QB's coming in and winning jobs right away. The list is so significant. I'd guess that 25-30 of the 120 Division I starting QB's are portal (or grad) transfers.

Is this thread code for the fact that the Canes are actively QB shopping around the country??? :grinch:

Advertisement
It is going to be nuts. The D2 portal has been open the whole time. Today about 30 guys have already entered and it's only 1:30.

Next week the FCS portal opens up.

I feel like we will sign many D2 players who have shown to Mario and Zo the work ethic and competitive drive. We won’t sign 25-30 elite P5 kids so they will have to look elsewhere

Interesting thing about Addison is that Pitt's leading receiver has about 200 more receiving yards than Addison this year. With that said, USC is in the hunt for a playoff spot so that's a decent tradeoff.
Addison going to USC had nothing to do with improving his draft stock. If he had come last season he likely is a top 15 or top 10 pick. He cashed in on NIL and the chance at a playoff spot is icing on the cake.

Advertisement
I'd be cool if we were just pulling guys akin to KJ Osborn from Buffalo. Low-ish profile, but good stats and hard working. Some of these bigger name former 5 stars are instant gratification headcases, NIL babies, don't have the work ethic, etc.

Advertisement
Back