Williams

1 yard pass, 2 yard pass, 3 yard pass.... PUNT. It’s so easy to get a 90% completion percentage using this method.

Advertisement
Its cool to take what the defense gives you throughout the game, but JW has to understand his role as the QB at THEU! I dont see the awareness or urgency on 3rd downs to make a **** play! Its like these kids just get the play call and go through the motions.. no swag no creativity!

I know he is a redshirt freshman and has a bit to learn. But are the coaches holding him back and telling him to make all safe throws ? In both games there have been receivers wide open for TD’s if he would only look downfield. He has not gone deep at all and when he has it has been off the mark...was just thinking and wondering if he is being held back even when he has lanes to run he refuses to take what is given to him. On the 2 point conversion against NC he held the ball and threw a pretty pass but if he holds on to it and runs he walks in for easy score.... Are these just growing pains ? Like the kid but he is lacking that killer mentality and hopefully the game slows down for him and will be what we all want him to be...thought ?

Jarren has great tools but doesn't play with great feel. Tate is the opposite, and he would have taken every opportunity to win the game.

It seemed to me he started taking more shots down the field as the game wore on. A good sign of things to come, if you ask me. I think there's little doubt his first 6 quarters were fairly safe throws. I believe we will see more downfield passes from this point on.

This, I feel like when he realized the line could hold up in pass protection he uncorked some deep balls. I feel like he needs to get better with his timing on those throws but he showed a ton of improvement from week 1 to week 2 and he hasn't even had the chance to play a home game yet.

What about 3TD and 0 INT?
Yeah, but only if it's for the W. My point is you don't win games by simply protecting the ball. You win games by scoring more points. I know, rocket science, right? Sometimes your QB has to take a chance to get a first down, because if they don't, the team has to punt anyway. I promise you, no one was celebrating 0 INTs Saturday night. Well, no one in OUR locker room.

Advertisement
What have we heard - from Richt through Manny - almost every interview?

They always stressed "we can't make a mistake and turn the ball over." I don't PLAY for the Hurricanes - and I've heard that same thing stressed fifty times just in their interviews!! How many times have the players heard that?

It's good to stress a certain level of judgement - to not do reckless crap when you have an inaccurate QB that can only hit receivers on an intermittent basis - but to over-stress making a mistake is to absolutely choke down any hope of following your instincts and taking advantage of opportunities as they arise.

Against Florida? I saw a QB doing EXACTLY what he'd had pounded into his head - NO MISTAKES - NO TURNOVERS. No wonder the kid ate the ball so many times - as there's rarely a wide-assed-open receiver!

When we were rolling way, way back in the day - we were also had some of the characteristics of a Mississippi Riverboat Gambler in our blood.

Someone throws for 6 TD's, and marches us down the field ten times - who gives a crap if he throws one interception?

Take the collar off the QB. Let him play - let him take the shots he feels good about - let him use his natural instincts - as he's already got a very accurate arm. Get into his rhythm.

We got a racehorse. Loosen the reins.

Advertisement
I know he is a redshirt freshman and has a bit to learn. But are the coaches holding him back and telling him to make all safe throws ? In both games there have been receivers wide open for TD’s if he would only look downfield. He has not gone deep at all and when he has it has been off the mark...was just thinking and wondering if he is being held back even when he has lanes to run he refuses to take what is given to him. On the 2 point conversion against NC he held the ball and threw a pretty pass but if he holds on to it and runs he walks in for easy score.... Are these just growing pains ? Like the kid but he is lacking that killer mentality and hopefully the game slows down for him and will be what we all want him to be...thought ?

I wish malik rosier could come back and be your QB

Advertisement
How many 3 and outs did Miami have against UNC?

11 offensive possessions total for the game...

- 3 punts
- 1 turnover on down (Jarren failed 4th and 1)
- 2 missed FGs
- 2 made FGs
- 3 TDs (2 pass, 1 run)

Adding the FG attempts, turnover on downs, and punts our offense stalled 8 times out of 11 possessions.

Advertisement

- 3 punts
- 2 missed FGs
- 2 made FGs
- 3 TDs (2 pass, 1 run)

Adding the FG attempts, turnover on downs, and punts our offense stalled 8 times out of 11 possessions.
So what you're really saying is out of 11 drives...we were in position to score 7 times...really 8 if you count the missed 4th down conversion since we were in FG range.

11 drives...3 punts. I'll take that all season long!

You know what happens when you dink and dunk with accuracy? You have long lasting drives.

I think it's great that we have been on the better end of time of possession this year. We all constantly complained for years that our offense put our defense on the field too quickly. Now we solved that and some people will still complain.

- 3 punts
- 2 missed FGs
- 2 made FGs
- 3 TDs (2 pass, 1 run)

Sorry, you can't add FG attempts and turnover on downs. It makes no sense. Your main premise was they couldn't move down the field because of "dink and dunk" when actually they did. Only 3 of 11 possibly stalled based on "dink and dunk". The others they just couldn't get it in the end zone.

Now if you're talking red zone effectiveness that's a different issue. But on a shortened field they would probably even more of what you call "dink and dunk" but would need to "dink and dunk" more effectively.

Advertisement
Back