Williams working on third downs, running more, during bye

Great stuff to read from Jarren.

Also some pretty concerning information in there about Enos. Tate and Jarren both have basically never operated from anything other than the shotgun... So why is this team ever operating from under center? It’s the definition of forcing something that isn’t there. I get practicing it and having it in the playbook, but maybe in year 2 or 3 you would have QBs and the rest of the offense ready to play that way in live games against good teams. Today they clearly aren’t there and it’s not exactly surprising if your quarterbacks never played under center (did Perry in high school?).

I know Enos loves his offense operating under center but that is pretty ridiculous when you read it. Put the guys in position to make plays and cut out your favorite plays, it’s not rocket science.

Advertisement
What about Jameis Winston?... 40 touchdowns, 10 interceptions as a true freshman. I guess bc he threw 10 interceptions, Jarren Williams is better.
Winston didn’t play as a true freshman... and he had better talent on the oline blocking for him. His oc was constantly putting him in position to succeed in terms of playcalling. Up until this point we haven’t been doing that enough for my liking. Jarren Williams absolutely can improve and has things he obviously needs to work on but you acting like he trash and bash him in every thread, let him progress man ****.. up to this point he’s shown the most promise any young qb we have had in years imo. With that being said there’s obvious room for improvement as I’ve said before

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but JW really struggles with throwing to his left or across his body. He doesn’t seem to see that third of the field well at all and not just post snap I think it’s pre-snap also. He’s had Thomas in one on one situations to that side of the field and doesn’t seem to recognize them. If the gun fixes that or helps read the whole field then Enos should acknowledge that and help the kid out. That’s his job. My $0.02.

Go Canes!

So the majority wanted a guy that still lost games as long as it comes with a higher completion percentage and fewer turnovers 🤔

You do realize that this Enos system manufactures high completion percentages and fewer turnovers right?? the part that isn’t manufactured by this scheme.... scoring touchdowns, making sound decisions, and commanding the huddle... Jarren has shown a 100% inability to do so consistently enough to keep the offense from being ranked what is it 128th in college football.
No, some of us don't realize it. Maybe you came in mid-stream of the discussion but to bring you up to date, most are saying there are receivers running open for large chunk plays. If it's his first read he's fine. But if it's not, he's off. Maybe he's slow in his progressions, getting shell shocked from the lack of protection, or overly concerned about making a mistake, but the throws aren't being made (even when there's has time).

Advertisement
Looking at Jarren QB and now reading his comments actually validated my thoughts: he appears robotic w his mechanics. Like typically when u see a QB go through progressions, it looks natural. What he described on that one play where he could’ve ran, but he stepped up, stepped up, stepped up then tried to force a throw, in my head I was like dang that looked like a clip from practice. It didn’t look authentic.

We have the potential man but 3 things are obvious, to me:

1. We gotta stop going under center. Clearly JW nor any of our QBs have ran this archaic version of football, so if that’s not working, throw it out.

2. Jarren has Enos in his head. He’s not playing QB, he’s playing the QB Enos wants. He’s not running, he’s doing that step up move....Jarren literally looks like a NCAA 95 QB sometimes. He doesn’t look naturally comfortable.

3. Enos gotta sacrifice his precious completion % by stretching the field. The field is a box right now, and any def w/ a pulse sees that and are containing us.

I hate bye weeks after a **** poor performance. I’m really anxious to see how we return to field and if Enos curtails the O to fit the personnel he’s inherited.

He’s playing too tight for sure. Coaching whispers. I’m hoping reps will cure it.

You basically know what you are going to get from a QB by RS freshman year. JW may improve on the margins, but this is basically it. There will be no dramatic improvement in any area. With a competent OL and competent coaching staff, we would win the coastal with JW as QB1 exactly as he is playing now. Problem is the OL is historically atrocious and the coaching staph isn't much better.

Yeah, our Frosh QB isn’t Joe Montana. Yes, he is slow to identify the deep ball opportunity. When he does he under throws it. I get it. But, his tackles have played like **** most of the time. And his running backs have not done a good job of helping with A gap or edge pickups. Our run game was nonexistent against Central Michigan. Imagine that. Yet people still want a young quarterback to throw for five touchdowns & 500 yards, with no running game and a soft OL.

IMO. He has played well enough for us to win every game. We cannot say that about the defense, OL, or our special teams.

Where are all the Sam Howell lovers?

Advertisement
Crazy how Enos didn't implement the zone read option -- especially after seeing it work at Bama. Aside from Jarren picking up the first down after scanning the field I would've liked designed run plays considering his speed.

As far as intensity, it's as clear as day when you look at the tape. A tub of Chobani yogurt would put up more of a fight than our soft *** OL.
Our offensive lineman are softer than Charmin.

Man Iam a huge fan of this kid, but week after week he keeps missing wide open WRs. I don’t know how many more hours of film you gotta watch to stop making the same mistakes over and over again. We are not that good of a team that we can afford to leave big plays on the board and hopefully versus VTech he improves in this department.
We wouldnt even be complaining about the offense if Williams could connect on some deep throws. ****, our record would probably be different too. What really ****es me off is that he wont even attempt the ******* throws!!!!

Advertisement
Looking at Jarren QB and now reading his comments actually validated my thoughts: he appears robotic w his mechanics. Like typically when u see a QB go through progressions, it looks natural. What he described on that one play where he could’ve ran, but he stepped up, stepped up, stepped up then tried to force a throw, in my head I was like dang that looked like a clip from practice. It didn’t look authentic.

We have the potential man but 3 things are obvious, to me:

1. We gotta stop going under center. Clearly JW nor any of our QBs have ran this archaic version of football, so if that’s not working, throw it out.

2. Jarren has Enos in his head. He’s not playing QB, he’s playing the QB Enos wants. He’s not running, he’s doing that step up move....Jarren literally looks like a NCAA 95 QB sometimes. He doesn’t look naturally comfortable.

3. Enos gotta sacrifice his precious completion % by stretching the field. The field is a box right now, and any def w/ a pulse sees that and are containing us.

I hate bye weeks after a **** poor performance. I’m really anxious to see how we return to field and if Enos curtails the O to fit the personnel he’s inherited.

1. I could see the call for less slow PA, but the look gives variety. I'd like to see OL personnel changes before we hollar about scrap the scheme. We may not have a 5 with more "potential", but we may have a better combination of 5 for the next game.

2. Jarren doesn't play with much feel for the game, and you can't blame that on Enos or the offense. It's instinctual, and you either have it or you don't.

3. Jarren has to take the throws that are there and run when there's no one open. He's missed several enzone throws (Most notably JT in the endzoe), under thrown deep balls, and not ran for first downs and TDs that were there for the taking.

Jarren is on pace for 28 TDs and 0 picks.

Not too bad.

I hope so we should be 10-2 if that’s the case but that number seems a little off. So far Jarren has 7 TDs in 4 games, that’s 21 TDs in 12 games. But we don’t have Bethune Cookman on the schedule again so his pace is more like 17 TDs total for the season.

Advertisement
If Duke can put hands on Vatech and JW can’t move the chains against Vatech then it’s Kosi time
Williams been moving the chains in every game, that’s not the problem. Redzone area is which is hindered by a number of things including bad oline, playcalling , run game after those 3 and THEN Jarren. He’s not the problem down there but we have a number of issues when we get there.
I don’t see what good putting Perry out there(unless an injury occurs) because he’s been one of the lone bright spots on the team. Far better passer than anyone we have had in recent years, if you think his game will grow by benching him for a player not as good then I dont What to tell you

Jarren Williams absolutely can improve and has things he obviously needs to work on but you acting like he trash and bash him in every thread, let him progress man ****.. up to this point he’s shown the most promise any young qb we have had in years imo.

So far I haven’t seen anything promising about his game. I mainly see red flags

Advertisement
Back