Williams working on third downs, running more, during bye

So, don't expect any changes to the offense.

Let's keep playing in a phone booth, having our QB who is slow to read the field and hasn't played under center since he was six continue to play with his back to the field, and provide the opportunity for the defense to line up as many potential pass rushers as close to the QB as possible.

SMMFH...

I just don't get how anyone can still be optimistic.

Tell me where I'm wrong, @brock.

Advertisement
After Wednesday’s drills, QB Jarren Williams touched on the poor team practice that had head coach Manny Diaz animated.

“Coach wants guys that are going to compete every play, every drill, every down, and that’s our standard,” Williams said. “When we’re any less of that standard he’s going to let us know like he did today in practice. He called us all out, let us know we’re not hitting the standard.”

Is it disappointing to still be having these types of practices after a down game vs. Central Michigan?

“It’s disappointing for sure,” Williams said. “We have three good days, then a day like that. We have to be more consistent.”

Right now, the Hurricanes offense is 128th in the country on third downs, converting just 23.3% of their attempts. The team is taking steps to correct those issues, and Williams feels as if part of the problem is UM’s demeanor on the field.

“I think it’s really an intensity thing. We can’t take any plays off. Watching the film, we just have to do a better job of keeping that intensity from first and second and carry over to third down. When we get to third down we really have to lock in because that’s when we have to convert. We’ve watched the film, have been correcting the mistakes we made. They’re all fixable things.”

After watching the film, Williams also mentioned that he feels he needs to take off and run more instead of trying to make throws that aren’t there.

“There was one play (vs. CMU) I stepped up, stepped up, stepped up, no one was open, I had a lot of green grass in front of me, I tried to force it in there,” Williams said. “I could have easily picked up the first down.”

Does he have a preference between taking snaps from under center and taking snaps from shotgun?

“Not really. Under center I haven’t done in a while, since I was 6, 7 years old, but I like it, and I like being in the gun, being versatile,” Williams said. “It’s challenging (seeing the field), something I’m still trying to get better at - make those good ball fakes, get my head around quick.”

Question for you @Stefan Adams:

We've heard that maybe Jarren isn't throwing some of these deeper passes to JT because he isn't seeing those same looks in practice from our defense.

Question is, how is this team practicing during the season under this staff? Is it 1's v 1's? Are they going scout team vs. 1's? Or do you even know given limited practice viewing availability? If we are practicing vs a scout team, then why wouldn't Jarren be seeing the looks from the scout team that the upcoming opponent is likely to show? Or is that theory about JW not seeing those looks in practice complete bunk?

Thanks for everything, I know it's not fun covering a team that is not living up to expectations, but you have been an excellent addition to this site.

how do you work on running more?? It’s instinctual you see that the play is taking to long to develop and lanes are opening up you take off and run for positive yardage. Practice isn’t going to help Jarren not freeze up and make bad decisions like he’s don in every game when the opportunity to run has been staring in his face **** near every snap.

Advertisement
I agree With most of the points. However I’m still a bit more optimistic about the offense and disagree with the don’t expect any changes mantra. Enos offense has started off slow at previous starts and this is a young offense that should get better with more experience imo

Man, I hope you're right. I'll be there next Saturday, but maybe for my own personal well being, I have lowered my expectations drastically as the season has gone on.

After watching the film, Williams also mentioned that he feels he needs to take off and run more instead of trying to make throws that aren’t there.

“There was one play (vs. CMU) I stepped up, stepped up, stepped up, no one was open, I had a lot of green grass in front of me, I tried to force it in there,” Williams said. “I could have easily picked up the first down.”

:stephenahand: Every game is a “learning experience”

To be fair it did take Rosier like 1.5 seasons as a starter to figure out how to even step up in the pocket.

Advertisement
You basically know what you are going to get from a QB by RS freshman year. JW may improve on the margins, but this is basically it. There will be no dramatic improvement in any area. With a competent OL and competent coaching staff, we would win the coastal with JW as QB1 exactly as he is playing now. Problem is the OL is historically atrocious and the coaching staph isn't much better.

Advertisement
Man, I hope you're right. I'll be there next Saturday, but maybe for my own personal well being, I have lowered my expectations drastically as the season has gone on.

This is where I'm at. I know Enos is smart and knows his play calling. But is he willing to adapt to the pieces he has on the field? Not playing Scaife at RT, not putting Williams in shotgun more, not spreading the formations out, not folding Lo and/Burns into short yardage plays, no deep timing patterns to relieve some stress of opponents loading the box. These are he really should have been making vs. UNC, much less CMU.

Looking at Jarren QB and now reading his comments actually validated my thoughts: he appears robotic w his mechanics. Like typically when u see a QB go through progressions, it looks natural. What he described on that one play where he could’ve ran, but he stepped up, stepped up, stepped up then tried to force a throw, in my head I was like dang that looked like a clip from practice. It didn’t look authentic.

We have the potential man but 3 things are obvious, to me:

1. We gotta stop going under center. Clearly JW nor any of our QBs have ran this archaic version of football, so if that’s not working, throw it out.

2. Jarren has Enos in his head. He’s not playing QB, he’s playing the QB Enos wants. He’s not running, he’s doing that step up move....Jarren literally looks like a NCAA 95 QB sometimes. He doesn’t look naturally comfortable.

3. Enos gotta sacrifice his precious completion % by stretching the field. The field is a box right now, and any def w/ a pulse sees that and are containing us.

I hate bye weeks after a **** poor performance. I’m really anxious to see how we return to field and if Enos curtails the O to fit the personnel he’s inherited.
Same robotic issue plagued us under Richt too. Has to be both QB and coaching issues but they never seem comfortable with reads or progressions. And I mean the simple college ones with everything in view not NFL scan the field type

Advertisement
The Standard.jpg

Advertisement
Back