Williams versus Perry

Advertisement
Dude. Knock it off. It’s a false narrative that is completely stupid. If the plan was to force Rosier to make a play, he accounted for over 3600 yards and 31 TDs. If that was the plan it was a stupid plan that 10 teams failed at, and only the one team against whom we were way under matched, had real success.

UNC should not be able to hold us to 42 yards rushing ever, and when your QB accounts for 376 yards and 4 TDs that game, instead of nitpicking every throw he missed, perhaps we should look into what else was wrong that day. Maybe we ought to be asking why nobody besides Rosier was able to contribute.

And yes. Rosier played flat out terrible against Pitt, but we ran the ball for 16 yards. How are people not embarrassed by that? How can morons look at that game and single out the QB. We got pushed around in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

You’re a fool if you think we’re going to have a QB that has a good game every game. Rosier never was great, but he was between okay and pretty good most games. But when he was off, nobody stepped up. We’ve always known his limitations and that he’d never be the type of guy to carry the team.

You know, in 2001 Dorsey was a 56% passer, but in our three toughest games, BC, FSU, and VT, he was between 44-49%

I wonder why those three didn’t try loading the box to stop the run.
Nice!!!!!!!

Dude. Knock it off. It’s a false narrative that is completely stupid. If the plan was to force Rosier to make a play, he accounted for over 3600 yards and 31 TDs. If that was the plan it was a stupid plan that 10 teams failed at, and only the one team against whom we were way under matched, had real success.

UNC should not be able to hold us to 42 yards rushing ever, and when your QB accounts for 376 yards and 4 TDs that game, instead of nitpicking every throw he missed, perhaps we should look into what else was wrong that day. Maybe we ought to be asking why nobody besides Rosier was able to contribute.

And yes. Rosier played flat out terrible against Pitt, but we ran the ball for 16 yards. How are people not embarrassed by that? How can morons look at that game and single out the QB. We got pushed around in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

You’re a fool if you think we’re going to have a QB that has a good game every game. Rosier never was great, but he was between okay and pretty good most games. But when he was off, nobody stepped up. We’ve always known his limitations and that he’d never be the type of guy to carry the team.

You know, in 2001 Dorsey was a 56% passer, but in our three toughest games, BC, FSU, and VT, he was between 44-49%

I wonder why those three didn’t try loading the box to stop the run.

Disagree. Pitt loaded the box with 8 guys, had 1 deep safety and 2 corners in press. They eliminated the run with their alignment and dared Rosier to throw an accurate ball into single coverage. He failed the entire game. There is literally no one else to blame for that loss. I'm not a Rosier hater by any means but there's no defending that performance. There's a reason Shireffs came in for relief.

Disagree. Pitt loaded the box with 8 guys, had 1 deep safety and 2 corners in press. They eliminated the run with their alignment and dared Rosier to throw an accurate ball into single coverage. He failed the entire game. There is literally no one else to blame for that loss. I'm not a Rosier hater by any means but there's no defending that performance. There's a reason Shireffs came in for relief.
This is an absolute lie. You can rewatch the compressed game on YouTube in about 30 minutes. They never once put any safeties down in the box. They were in two deep all game long and rotated between press Man on the edge and traditional cover 2 zone. Occasionally against 3 wide the safety would play man on the slot but he never leveraged the run.

They blitzed a linebacker about 8 times, 2 linebackers once, and a corner once. About half of these were run blitzes on 3rd and short situations. On a 3rd and 4 they blitzed and beat the pulling guard to drop Homer for 2 ending a drive, and on a 2nd and 3 they drop DeeJay Dallas for a loss of 5 to make it 3rd and 8.

On one blitz, all three linebackers showed blitz but two dropped into coverage. Navaughn was fooled so badly on that play he didn’t block anyone. They sent 5 guys and 2 got to Rosier untouched for a sack. A defender got by Donaldson on both sides after the play he was just standing there with his hands on his hips in utter confusion.

If anybody wants to know why I’m still in this thread arguing with these fools it’s because I’m tired of seeing lies like this spread everywhere. Nobody loaded the box to stop our run game. Pitt wore our *** out in the trenches with their front 4 and held us to 16 yards rushing from the tailback position. They played 2 deep coverage with either man or zone underneath to take away easy stuff and force Rosier to throw accurately into coverage.

We were 79th in rushing on the year. 115th if you take away Rosier’s contribution. And at one time we were 10-0 and ranked #2. Nobody loads the box to stop the 115th ranked rushing attack. They made adjustments to stop Rosier from beating them running with the zone read.

Advertisement
Loose Cannon, you're super annoying. I've been on here for a long time and I'm pretty sure I've never posted but I wanted to let you know that. You're also my first ignore. Good job.

Loose Cannon, you're super annoying. I've been on here for a long time and I'm pretty sure I've never posted but I wanted to let you know that. You're also my first ignore. Good job.

Rather than dispute anything he said from a football perspective, challenge his reading of Pitt’s defense, an actual technically important factor which is in dispute, you’re going to break your self imposed silence and use you’re only post ever, in four long years, to tell someone they’re “super annoying” and then announce you’re putting him on ignore?

It’s probably better if you go back into hermit mode for another four years.

only kin of Rosier would defend that game vs Pitt
Only people with an anti-Rosier agenda have to lie about the defense in order to make Rosier seem worse than he already was. Pitt shouldn't be able to hold us to 16 yards rushing if they put 15 in the box. We ******* suck running the ball. Early season success with Rosier and the zone read hid how bad we really were, but at no time last season were we able to line up and run a designed play to any of our tailbacks with any consistency after the Bethune-Cookman game.

Rosier was plenty awful without making **** up. Our running game and o-line in particular was equally terrible. I remember a discussion last season about route concepts and how we ran too many bubbles and really short passes...I don't recall everyone who was involved, but @LuCane was definitely one of the guys explaining how if teams are going to drop 7 guys into coverage and just give away the underneath stuff, you got to be able to take it. I made the point that if teams were going to drop 7 guys into coverage and we don't hand the ball off and pound their front four all game long, there must be something wrong.

Turns out, there was something wrong. We can't run the ball. After the Virginia game, Travis Homer had almost 850 yards with 4 games left to play and didn't break 1000.

Lets put this into perspective. UNC played 12 games last season and were the 112th ranked rushing defense in the NCAA.
Cal rushed for 106
Louisville rushed for 312
Old Dominion rushed for 102
Duke rushed for 186
GaTech rushed for 403
Notre Dame rushed for 341
Virginia ran for 156
Virginia Tech got 181
Pitt gained 267
Western Carolina managed 151
and NC State had 292

in 11 games 10 players ran for over 100 yards against UNC. Travis Homer got 40 and Choc Gray got 2. They held us to 62 yards rushing as a team and 20 of that was QB runs.

This is an embarrassment to football and the fans hooting and hollering about how all we need to do is replace Rosier and that will fix everything are just plain stupid and willfully ignorant. Miami was the worst rushing team UNC faced all season and that list contains Western Carolina and Old Dominion.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm gonna miss him. Such a solid contributor to the forum.

This is an embarrassment to football and the fans hooting and hollering about how all we need to do is replace Rosier and that will fix everything are just plain stupid and willfully ignorant. Miami was the worst rushing team UNC faced all season and that list contains Western Carolina and Old Dominion.

Id give you an award for this post. Its true. Been true. Probably will continue to be true. When walton got hurt, we became 1-dimensional. Pass protection wasnt horrible, but run blocking was atrocious.

Fix O-line and have all RBs healthy and its a different team. Rosier gets a lot of flack and in most situations its deserved. Pitt game was mostly him, actually 90% lol.

So many games we had no run game and had to rely on Malik scrambling and improvising to make it look like we had a semblance of running ability.

If you pick one thing to fix, its O-line. everything else will improve if they improve.

No. You are wrong. I understand the narrative you are trying to push, but it is not accurate. Our run game is not elite. I never said it was. Its not even great, but when the other team knows you can't throw the ball it is very easy to hinder the run game even further. I never said our defense was elite either. We made subpar QBs look like heisman winners(Pitt, Virginia, Duke, Syracuse, Whisky, Clemson, etc). However part of that was because they where so tired from constantly being on the field. Our defense bailed out Rosier numerous times throughout the season. Even people with just the most basic understanding of football knows that the defense gets wore out quicker than the offense and when the offense starts to go three and out or throw tons of ints they get exposed even worse. Our defense and run game where both subpar, but it was made even worse since our QB wasn't able to allow the defense to rest and wasn't able to keep the defense on their toes since they know he couldn't hit his targets. The main point of my argument was if you rewatch all of our games the number of open receivers that where either over/under thrown or not seen by the QB at all was atrocious. Any QB that could make simple reads and actually throw on target would have blown every team we played out. Kaaya was capable of that even with all of his flaws.
Pitt's QB was 18-29 for 193 and 1 TD
Eric Dungey of Syracuse was 13-41 for 137 with 0 TDs and 4 INT's.
Duke was 21-41 for 166 0 TD and 1 INT
If this is Heisman level QB play, just what the **** is your problem with Rosier, anyway?

Id give you an award for this post. Its true. Been true. Probably will continue to be true. When walton got hurt, we became 1-dimensional. Pass protection wasnt horrible, but run blocking was atrocious.

Fix O-line and have all RBs healthy and its a different team. Rosier gets a lot of flack and in most situations its deserved. Pitt game was mostly him, actually 90% lol.

So many games we had no run game and had to rely on Malik scrambling and improvising to make it look like we had a semblance of running ability.

If you pick one thing to fix, its O-line. everything else will improve if they improve.
Toledo...Quite possibly our best rushing performance of the season came against Toledo and it was basically 2 plays on the first two drives; a 44 yard run by Walton and an 82 yard run by Walton. Take away those two plays and the Toledo game is just another average 70-100 yard day running the ball for the whole team. After those two drives, our run game went to sleep for the rest of that game and the rest of the season. We took a 16-10 deficit into the locker room and had it not been for a 27-36, 344 yard, 4 TD performance by Rosier, our season would have ended right there. Forget FSU and forget GaTech. Malik Rosier saved the season for us in our second game.

Advertisement
This dude OrginalgGator will say the dumbest **** i've ever seen on this board and mean it

Last edited:
This is an absolute lie. You can rewatch the compressed game on YouTube in about 30 minutes. They never once put any safeties down in the box. They were in two deep all game long and rotated between press Man on the edge and traditional cover 2 zone. Occasionally against 3 wide the safety would play man on the slot but he never leveraged the run.

They blitzed a linebacker about 8 times, 2 linebackers once, and a corner once. About half of these were run blitzes on 3rd and short situations. On a 3rd and 4 they blitzed and beat the pulling guard to drop Homer for 2 ending a drive, and on a 2nd and 3 they drop DeeJay Dallas for a loss of 5 to make it 3rd and 8.

On one blitz, all three linebackers showed blitz but two dropped into coverage. Navaughn was fooled so badly on that play he didn’t block anyone. They sent 5 guys and 2 got to Rosier untouched for a sack. A defender got by Donaldson on both sides after the play he was just standing there with his hands on his hips in utter confusion.

If anybody wants to know why I’m still in this thread arguing with these fools it’s because I’m tired of seeing lies like this spread everywhere. Nobody loaded the box to stop our run game. Pitt wore our *** out in the trenches with their front 4 and held us to 16 yards rushing from the tailback position. They played 2 deep coverage with either man or zone underneath to take away easy stuff and force Rosier to throw accurately into coverage.

We were 79th in rushing on the year. 115th if you take away Rosier’s contribution. And at one time we were 10-0 and ranked #2. Nobody loads the box to stop the 115th ranked rushing attack. They made adjustments to stop Rosier from beating them running with the zone read.

OK I gave it a quick look to refresh my memory. We're both wrong, but your premise is especially false. Pitt was in Quarters coverage with corners in tight press and safeties at 5-7 yards depth on regular downs. That is a run-stopping alignment and coverage. You can argue that 6-yard depth isn't strictly "in the box" but it's certainly not "deep safety" play by any stretch. Every vertical route by an outside WR was effectively a 1on1 vs. press man. There was no safety help over the top like you would expect in Cover 2 or 2-man coverage because the safeties were shallow to defend the run and pattern-match inside receivers. The receivers got open routinely but the throws weren't even close to the target.

So you can argue about semantics as to what constitutes a box safety vs. deep safety but the impact is still the same: Rosier could not hit a 1on1 perimeter throw vs. press corners that were getting beat like a drum.

The rest of your 'arguments' are total nonsense and not even worth my time.

Advertisement
I clicked on this expecting a William Refrigerator Perry review.

No lie Malik Rosier was terrible against Pitt... it looked like Brad Kaaya was out there.

Last edited:
OK I gave it a quick look to refresh my memory. We're both wrong, but your premise is especially false. Pitt was in Quarters coverage with corners in tight press and safeties at 5-7 yards depth on regular downs. That is a run-stopping alignment and coverage. You can argue that 6-yard depth isn't strictly "in the box" but it's certainly not "deep safety" play by any stretch. Every vertical route by an outside WR was effectively a 1on1 vs. press man. There was no safety help over the top like you would expect in Cover 2 or 2-man coverage because the safeties were shallow to defend the run and pattern-match inside receivers. The receivers got open routinely but the throws weren't even close to the target.

So you can argue about semantics as to what constitutes a box safety vs. deep safety but the impact is still the same: Rosier could not hit a 1on1 perimeter throw vs. press corners that were getting beat like a drum.

The rest of your 'arguments' are total nonsense and not even worth my time.
Get lost. Your assertion that Pitt put 9 guys in the box is just plain false, and now you're doubling down on your stupidity. I'm not an X's and O's guy, but I know a safety in the box when I see one, and I didn't see one against Pitt.

However, it only takes a second of google to find out that Cover 4/Quarters is the preferred base defense of Pat Narduzzi. He used it as his base D at Michigan State and now as his base at Pitt. But whether they went Cover 2 or Cover 4, they still held our tail backs to 16 yards with just their front 4 and 6 to 7 defenders in coverage. So this "I'm more wrong than you," is just blatant bull****. You said they put 9 guys in the box to stop the run when all they did was run the same base defense that had managed to have them about 60th in rushing yards allowed per game before we showed up with 16. They didn't do a **** thing special to stop our run. We just suck at it. That was the original point and it still stands.

Last edited:
Miami and our 45 total yards rushing (31 from the QB) was the worst rushing team Pitt faced all year on a schedule that included Rice and Youngstown State. ******* embarrassing.

Advertisement
Back