will we see some unexpected recruiting interest?

Adding 3 linebackers in a down year of talent nationwide that we have a chance at would be stupid af especially if we plan to do that in 2019...can’t load up with jags period...

Its a down year for sure at LB but we're also not in it for the top-rated kids this year.

The staff's direction towards that position will start to show at the end of this month imo with Pinckney out.

We have top shelf LB's down here. You have Bonitto and Abdullah. I'd offer both, try to flip Joyner and call it a day. Oh, and I would not give up on Gainer. He's tight with Lingawd. Need to get him down here on OV.

Advertisement
Ok, this might get me negged to Bolivian, but I think Sitkowski is to Richt what a classic muscle car restoration project is to gearheads. Richt feels he is a QB whisperer, so he can thinks he can tinker with a QB who has the physical tools, but doesn't know how to play qb well. He has done wonders for Rosier and I think he feels he can mold Sits into a good qb. Even if he fails (like most muscle car restoration projects, it takes up space in garage rusting away until you sell it to the next dreamer), not a big deal. Richt has his qb in Perry. Rosier starts 2018 season. Perry plays 2019, 2020, 2021. Sits wouldn't even have a shot at starting unless injury or he gets RS and plays in 2022. So far away, don't think elite qb is critical this cycle (or you will find one who is willing to wait that long)

Who are we still waiting on? I just don't follow recruiting as closely as I used to.

Here's my uninformed take on where we are at, someone please correct me -

QB - Sits. Perhaps situation is shaky - are we really looking at anyone else or is this just message board drama?
RB - The Ambassador and CD - outstanding class. Pretty sure we are done here, anyone disagree?
WR - Are we still recruiting anyone? Seems like Pope, Hightower, Wiggins are pretty solid and a nice class. Anyone else?
OL - Feels to me like we need one more OT prospect, but not sure I see anything realistic on the horizon.
DE - Maybe a name will emerge here, but not sure it's much of a priority.
DT - Nesta's a monster. Briggs has potential. Seems like we really want one more, but not hearing any interest reciprocated from the big names. Help?
LB - this year's "wtf are we doing" position to this point. Shaq/Pinck/McCloud is the standard, we need to step it up to maintain that level. Get after it Diaz.
DB - insane class, waiting on Campbell.

Does this all sound about right?
Sounds like Alce is being considered at FB, and Thornton still being recruited at WR. Assuming there is a juco option at DT.

IMO we need to add an OL, a DE and a LB. Maybe Joyner is the LB. I would prefer 2 tbh. Our depth at the position is suspect, for sure. We can't put ourselves back in the position of relying on true frosh when we are supposed to beitle contenders in coming years.

At DE, we need depth, particularly because we have a few kids on the roster who have the ahletoc ability to be 3 and done type kids. Rousseau is a project type. One more kid seems sensible at the spot.

OL - I would take the best available kid, inside or out. There are good tackle options for '19, so an '18 project at OT won't add much. Get the best kid who can controbute early, and let Donaldson swing out to RT if needed.

Pete's mentioned a couple of times the class is like 95% locked up

Seen this before, but someone help me with the math. We can, and need, to take 25 this year. We're at 19 now, so that puts us in the high 70% range - unless there are 5 silent commits. And silent commits are like unicorns and the Loch Ness monster.

So, we have a decent chunk left to go.

There are always kids who turn up later in the cycle.

As far as WR. What about Terrace Marshall?? Are we still recruiting him, because I did see in another thread he was supposed to be visiting for Norte Dame or another game. Seeing as how LSU sucks and “We Back”, should be favorable for us..

Advertisement
now that we are rolling? or is our class pretty much locked up?

Watch the Eason transfer coming at year end.
Doubt Kirby would let that happen. He put transfer restrictions when he first came in after Richt left.

First, if the kid wants to come, he can come, he just needs to pay his own tuition for a year. I would imagine that his family has at least some money, so it might not be a deal-breaker.

Second, Eason can always put pressure on UGa (including in the press) and appeal to the AD. With the QB talent that they have coming in, and after 2 years of Richt being in Miami, I highly doubt that Kirby still feels like he needs to block every kid who wants to come to Miami.

And, as people have pointed out elsewhere, if coaches try to block too many players, it starts to get around, and recruits may be worried to go there.

Doubt Kirby would let that happen. He put transfer restrictions when he first came in after Richt left.

First, if the kid wants to come, he can come, he just needs to pay his own tuition for a year. I would imagine that his family has at least some money, so it might not be a deal-breaker.

Second, Eason can always put pressure on UGa (including in the press) and appeal to the AD. With the QB talent that they have coming in, and after 2 years of Richt being in Miami, I highly doubt that Kirby still feels like he needs to block every kid who wants to come to Miami.

And, as people have pointed out elsewhere, if coaches try to block too many players, it starts to get around, and recruits may be worried to go there.

Seems like a long-shot but I am then reminded of the DB Smith that transferred to UGA from Bama and all heat that was put on Sabag and he surprisingly gave in. Just wonder if it's better for Eason to transfer to JUCO so he can get reps then come in the following year as a one and done.

Advertisement

Seems like a long-shot but I am then reminded of the DB Smith that transferred to UGA from Bama and all heat that was put on Sabag and he surprisingly gave in. Just wonder if it's better for Eason to transfer to JUCO so he can get reps then come in the following year as a one and done.

The JuCo to college circle is much easier for other position players than a QB. He would then spend three consecutive years under three different OCs. Not exactly a recipe for success.

He's better off learning the offense during his "transfer year" than he would be sitting at some JuCo. He hasn't been a behavioral problem, as Chad Kelly was. No need for JuCo if he can afford to pay his tuition for a year, and I don't even think it will come to that, I think Kirby will release him anywhere he wants to go, assuming it's not a team on the schedule.

How do you know that his family has some money? Even for a well off family, paying over $60k for one year will hurt most families.

The greater Seattle area where he's from is getting massively expensive, so don't assume that he has money and everything will work out.

Besides, I don't think he transfers to Miami.

Advertisement
Ok, this might get me negged to Bolivian, but I think Sitkowski is to Richt what a classic muscle car restoration project is to gearheads. Richt feels he is a QB whisperer, so he can thinks he can tinker with a QB who has the physical tools, but doesn't know how to play qb well. He has done wonders for Rosier and I think he feels he can mold Sits into a good qb. Even if he fails (like most muscle car restoration projects, it takes up space in garage rusting away until you sell it to the next dreamer), not a big deal. Richt has his qb in Perry. Rosier starts 2018 season. Perry plays 2019, 2020, 2021. Sits wouldn't even have a shot at starting unless injury or he gets RS and plays in 2022. So far away, don't think elite qb is critical this cycle (or you will find one who is willing to wait that long)

That's a really smart hypothesis that I never thought of. In that regard it sounds like a good idea to recruit him. Star QBs rarely like waiting till their junior or senior year, and with Perry projected to take the reigns after Malik then it's a good idea to get a sound backup.

How do you know that his family has some money? Even for a well off family, paying over $60k for one year will hurt most families.

The greater Seattle area where he's from is getting massively expensive, so don't assume that he has money and everything will work out.

His father is a retired NFL quarterback. I'm not saying he is a multi-millionaire, but he is also not coming from a background of, say, Jon Feliciano. Furthermore, most families end up paying SOMETHING for their kids to go to college. So far, they have not had to spend a cent at UGa, and once he is on scholarship at any school (ASSUMING he goes to a school where Kirby won't release him), he will no longer have to pay for school. And let's not even get into the issue of whether the kid qualifies for various scholarships or grants or STUDENT LOANS, which he would be eligible to receive (not having a scholarship for a year and all).

Look, I went to UM, and there are ALL KINDS of scholarships available if you do certain kinds of things on-campus. One of my best friends in law school was the student-advisor to the Honor Council and he got a scholarship from that (and that role is not limited to law students, even if they might have an advantage). LOTS of free money at UM if you know how to look, and I would easily imagine that someone would help Eason to find something like that.

So, uh, yeah, the issue of whether the Eason family can afford ONE YEAR of college for their son does not really seem like a major issue here. Besides, as I have said all along, I truly believe that any attempted block of Eason's release to Miami will not fly.

So stop getting all upset that someone has a well-reasoned viewpoint that differs from yours.

Advertisement

Tony Eason must have ****ed all his NFL money away...

Right you dont bring in 3 number 1 QBs and then stop one of them from transferring to the school of his choice when its out of your conference. That just means your a bitter coach and an *****. The next #1 will tell you to F off.

Advertisement
Back