Will we see both Sheriffs & Rosier in Bethune Game?

Perry might get playing time late in the first two games. In both games Miami should have sizable leads so a 'mistake that could cost you a game' is lessened to a learning experience. I doubt Richt chooses a redshirt year unless Perry incurs an injury.

Yeah, but the learning experience he will get in PRACTICE against our D will be far greater than scrub time against pathetic teams.

True, but playing against a real opponent will have a benefit. Even if the opponents are lesser teams.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All 3 will play

I don't think Perry will play until he shows enough in practices/scrimmages that he has a legitimize chance to start this year.

Why waste a year where he could RS for a few plays that dont mean anything other than game action.

Unless he shows Richt between now and then that he will be a threat to unseat Rosier THIS year I can't see the reward..jmo.

Is Perry willing to take a RS scenario where he might not see starters snaps until 2020?

Honest question. Not trolling.

Does he have a choice? If he's going to transfer because he doesn't get to start his freshman year, I think he's misjudged how football works.

Do you honestly think Rick would bench the guy who wins the starting job this season for Perry next year?

Not at all, and I think Perry should have come in realizing this might happen. I'm just saying that if Perry wants to leave because he's got to sit behind another guy then I think he's misjudged how things work. Now and then a freshman QB starts, but mostly they have to sit for a year or more. He walked into a situation where at least there was the possibility of him starting (unlike last year) and I think that's all you can ask for. And if he did decide to leave, he'd sit next year anyway, so what would he gain? I think he has to take the shirt if that's the direction Richt wants to go.

Perry might get playing time late in the first two games. In both games Miami should have sizable leads so a 'mistake that could cost you a game' is lessened to a learning experience. I doubt Richt chooses a redshirt year unless Perry incurs an injury.

Yeah, but the learning experience he will get in PRACTICE against our D will be far greater than scrub time against pathetic teams.

True, but playing against a real opponent will have a benefit. Even if the opponents are lesser teams.

I just don't think playing against Bethune is in any way, shape, or form a greater challenge than facing our own D in practice. Other teams I can see the argument being made, but not against those types of teams.

I just don't think playing against Bethune is in any way, shape, or form a greater challenge than facing our own D in practice. Other teams I can see the argument being made, but not against those types of teams.
True. But it's not just about the quality of the opponent. It's about getting a look in a true game scenario (the magnitude might scare a guy who hasn't played in a real situation in quite some time). Some cats panic under the bright lights. Level of competition might not matter.

All 3 will play

Why would Perry play when he could really use a redshirt season? Both the guys ahead of him aren't leaving after this season, so it's not like Perry has to be the starter next year. I'd rather see him playing as a redshirt senior than mop up duty as a true freshman. People need to cool their jets and have a little patience with the kid.

I say no point in red shirting if they leave in their 3rd year regardlesss!

Same here. Save the red shirt for possibly medical reasons. He shouldn't be here after 3 seasons

If he's only staying 3 years, won't he have a year to sit out if he gets hurt? You have no idea how long he'll be here. What if Rosier balls out and starts next year too? Now Perry's sitting 2 years before his chance to start, and you think he's definitely going 1 and done?

And what if next year an incoming Freshman beats them all out? What if a recruit sees a collection of RS Freshman instead of upperclassmen? Depth and separation is important. We really don't have much depth or separation so redshirting at this point is not essential. There are no seniors on the team. Everyone needs to step up their game and be ready to lead this team. "Wait till next year" doesn't really apply for this group.

Advertisement
Why would Perry play when he could really use a redshirt season? Both the guys ahead of him aren't leaving after this season, so it's not like Perry has to be the starter next year. I'd rather see him playing as a redshirt senior than mop up duty as a true freshman. People need to cool their jets and have a little patience with the kid.

I say no point in red shirting if they leave in their 3rd year regardlesss!

Same here. Save the red shirt for possibly medical reasons. He shouldn't be here after 3 seasons

If he's only staying 3 years, won't he have a year to sit out if he gets hurt? You have no idea how long he'll be here. What if Rosier balls out and starts next year too? Now Perry's sitting 2 years before his chance to start, and you think he's definitely going 1 and done?

And what if next year an incoming Freshman beats them all out? What if a recruit sees a collection of RS Freshman instead of upperclassmen? Depth and separation is important. We really don't have much depth or separation so redshirting at this point is not essential. There are no seniors on the team. Everyone needs to step up their game and be ready to lead this team. "Wait till next year" doesn't really apply for this group.

It does if you're a QB. Right now it doesn't look like he'll be playing this year and that's ok. It happens. I know this is hard to believe, but the majority of players on the majority of teams don't get to play right away. I have no idea what he'll do if he gets passed by a younger guy next year, but as of now he's at least #3 and more talented that the two in front of him. His talent won't change, but his grasp of the playbook and how he deals with the speed of the game will.

Bottom line: it may be in his best interest to transfer next year, but it's not in his interest to transfer this year.

True. But it's not just about the quality of the opponent. It's about getting a look in a true game scenario (the magnitude might scare a guy who hasn't played in a real situation in quite some time). Some cats panic under the bright lights. Level of competition might not matter.

The cats that panic under the bright lights are almost always Freshmen, and the panic has to do with having no clue what to do or how to handle adversity. It's the sudden realization that the game is on your shoulders, and you don't know *****.

A redshirt year on the scout team builds the muscle memory that allows instinct to take over when the lights come on and the brain scrambles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Play Perry as much as possible this season. No point in saving eligibility if he's a 3 and done type talent.

Not a lot of 3 and done college QBs. Play whoever gives you the best chance to win THIS year. If that's Perry, so be it, but you don't play the third string QB because he might be gone in 3 years.

Advertisement

I don't disagree. The benefit of playing against Bethune is that it's a live game against an unfamiliar defense.

I would hold Perry out unless he earns the starter or backup role, or if Rosier or Sheriffs is injured. I would not waste eligibility on garbage time and even less inclined to do so as the season progresses. The backup QB earned and needs this playing time if it makes itself available.

I don't disagree. The benefit of playing against Bethune is that it's a live game against an unfamiliar defense.

I would hold Perry out unless he earns the starter or backup role, or if Rosier or Sheriffs is injured. I would not waste eligibility on garbage time and even less inclined to do so as the season progresses. The backup QB earned and needs this playing time if it makes itself available.

Agreed. I do see some value in playing time against Bethune, but in a sense it's a false sense of security. Bethune in no way, shape or form prepares a QB for FSU, or any of the ACC schedule for that matter.

Perry has all the potential in the world, but I do not want him in there until he is ready, and his team mates believe in him 100%. We do not want another Brad Kaaya situation where he was gifted the job and never earned the respect of his team mates. I really want Perry to redshirt so he can get bigger, stronger, and far more comfortable with the O. Once he does that, the players will believe in him and he will become their leader.

Play Perry as much as possible this season. No point in saving eligibility if he's a 3 and done type talent.

Not a lot of 3 and done college QBs. Play whoever gives you the best chance to win THIS year. If that's Perry, so be it, but you don't play the third string QB because he might be gone in 3 years.

Perry is supposed to sit or scout all year and beat Malik after--God willing--he's the healthy starter all year? You play Perry as much as possible when the outcome is not in doubt. My opinion.

If this was PlayStation 2, and I was playing Dynasty Mode in NCAA 07, you better believe I'd be redshirting Perry. But given that this is real life and people's egos are involved, I wouldn't be surprised if Richt gives Perry some PT late in a few games.

I've obviously never met the kid and don't know what his attitude/outlook/personality is, but if he wants PT, give him PT. No point in risking a transfer on the off-chance we can have him as a RS senior in 2021.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back