Will Sandland end up a jag??

I HATE the term JAG.

On a roster of 85 kids, do you think every single one can be a starter, let alone a star? Do you think we are going to hit gold on EVERY kid? Programs are built with stars, quality starters and role players.....and sometimes you don't see the contributions of a kid until his 3rd or 4th year (and even rare times 5th year seniors). You don't know how they contribute in workouts, in practice, in the gym, film study, etc. You don't know what's holding them back....is it talent, injury, scheme, coaching preference, etc (look no further than Arthur Brown). Even the best of the best, the NFL, has guys you would JAGS comparably speaking. Does that mean they suck? No! They are in the freakin NFL.....how many guys can say that?

Agree with you with the excessive usage of that JAG word that was coined by Jimmy Johnson.
It's a sheep mentality with regards to that word.

Advertisement
OK, so ... how about someone post an article or anything where Sandland was singled out?

I am only going on what we have: reports. If someone has singled out Sandland for performing well this spring, please share.

That's all you have to do.

Advertisement
So instead of someone posting something that can possibly contribute to the fact that Sandland is having a productive spring, we are sitting here debating opinions of the use of a word used in the thread title. Oh, ok.

165.gif

So instead of someone posting something that can possibly contribute to the fact that Sandland is having a productive spring, we are sitting here debating opinions of the use of a word used in the thread title. Oh, ok.

165.gif

Yup.

i don't blame sand land. it's not like we draw up many big plays for our tightends. look at O'leary's production at FSU while Coley was there. big scheme issue there bc last season sandland was definitely the best receiver of the tightend group in my opinion. just didn't involve him in many plays.

you do know that jimbo called and made all the plays right? Coley was just a glorified qb coach...

Advertisement
Sandland is nursing a minor injury right now; that's y we're not hearing about him. However, pre-injury, Golden was singing his praise and hi-lights from practice showed he was open a lot. He along w Walford will be the guys at TE and look for Sandland to have a very solid year. Like someone alluded to, he and Williams have nice chemistry together. Sandland will def be not be a JAG.

i don't blame sand land. it's not like we draw up many big plays for our tightends. look at O'leary's production at FSU while Coley was there. big scheme issue there bc last season sandland was definitely the best receiver of the tightend group in my opinion. just didn't involve him in many plays.

you do know that jimbo called and made all the plays right? Coley was just a glorified qb coach...

He was the TE coach. Craig coached the QBs.

well how do you expect jimbo to call plays involving the TE when Coley didn't design many to use? and you do know that Walford's production decreased last year in Coley's offense.
i don't blame sand land. it's not like we draw up many big plays for our tightens. look at O'leary's production at FSU while Coley was there. big scheme issue there bc last season sand land was definitely the best receiver of the tightend group in my opinion. just didn't involve him in many plays.

Advertisement
Pretty sure we would throw to the TE's more if our TE's were actually mismatches. They're not. They're pedestrian. Some of you people think we have legit TE's. Yall have forgotten what a good TE looks like. It's been a while around here.

Sandland is the best pass catching TE we have, but he simply needs to be a better blocker. However, even without the blocking specialty under his belt, kid still needs to be on the field...

Place the guy in motion out wide against a LB, and let him work.

Last edited:
Pretty sure we would throw to the TE's more if our TE's were actually mismatches. They're not. They're pedestrian. Some of you people think we have legit TE's. Yall have forgotten what a good TE looks like. It's been a while around here.

I agree to a certain extent... We actually threw to the TE throughout Fisch's tenure and they were quite productive... However, I don't think they are an are of emphasis in the passing game for Coley...

Advertisement
* From what Ive seen, Beau Sandland always looks like the toughest guy on the field when he's out there. He plays the game the right way. That said, he seems to be a half step too slow to take advantage of the opportunites Ive seen him have to date.

* Im hopeful that the tight ends in general, and thus Sandland will have a more productive year in 2014 with Ryan Williams at QB.

* I expect Sandland to get the lions share of the TE reps this season (as he should). That said, Im most excited about Standish Dobard developing for the 2015-2017 seasons.

* Agreed that the term "JAG" is way over-used but also agree that its not necessarily used in a perjoritive sense. Its just internet lingo...of sorts.

* From what Ive seen, Beau Sandland always looks like the toughest guy on the field when he's out there. He plays the game the right way. That said, he seems to be a half step too slow to take advantage of the opportunites Ive seen him have to date.

* Im hopeful that the tight ends in general, and thus Sandland will have a more productive year in 2014 with Ryan Williams at QB.

* I expect Sandland to get the lions share of the TE reps this season (as he should). That said, Im most excited about Standish Dobard developing for the 2015-2017 seasons.

* Agreed that the term "JAG" is way over-used but also agree that its not necessarily used in a perjoritive sense. Its just internet lingo...of sorts.

Agree with everything here except for the bolded. On this board it has become a pejorative, and has been increasingly unwrapped too early in a player's career.

Coley did not call plays at FSU, Fisher did/does.

I know that's what said around boards and at one point I even believed it... However as soon as Coley bolted their offense evolved and ours seem to resemble their offense of the past 5 years... I mean Manuel was a 1st round pick who love to play it safe, why no incorporate the tight end more... Then Coley comes here and we witness the same thing...

Walford caught 1 more ball than O'Leary last year. Coley threw to Pryor and Wilder a **** of a lot more. They were much better athletics than Hagens. With Tucker's speed you've got to throw him the ball. He'll be hard to cover on wheel routes coming out of the backfield. I'm assuming he can catch the ball. Williams seems to like to throw to the tight end so we'll see.

You're just not very good when you can't beat out Asante Cleveland. Sorry.

Advertisement
Back