Will Rogers staying at UW with jedd

This is like the UNLV QB. Miami doesn't want him but USC(QB guru coach) and Georgia wanted him. UW coach is one of the best evaluators of talent and he took the kid.
Is there any proof we didn’t want the UNLV kid?

Advertisement
Mike Leach offense , passing majority of the game and a good amount of those games they’re down double digits. A lot of easy , pre determined throws . Taullia played in more of a pro spread. The stats aren’t equal between the two. Rodger’s isn’t bad but Leach wouldn’t be coming with him and that’s a huge part of his success.

But that’s kind of baked in to any QB we take, right?

It’s not like the run and shoot style Ward played in was coming with him to Miami.

In theory we are running an Air Raid. At the point where one of the most successful Air Raid QBs of the last 10 years isn’t a fit for the “Air Raid” we are running, that’s the point we should be flying banners. Air Raid QBs have to be fits for Air Raid offenses.

Numbers took a huge dive without the Pirate. Counting stats still solid, but YPA never over 7.0 (TVD had 8.1 YPA last season) and was under 60% completion.

Take him due to SEC experience but he’s not mobile and I don’t see him winning us many games. Takes us from 6-6 to 8-4 imo - depends on Tualia’s waiver situation.

By it that’s because the new HC was a defensive guy and wanted to bro-ball the offense.

As Miami fans we should be able to relate.

But if we’re looking for a QB that is a fit for what MSU ran last year or what we ran last year, that doesn’t exist. And Mario should be fired.

The one sliver of hope is last year isn’t what Mario wants to run, but has to run it because of TVD’s injuries. And so the question is whether Rogers is a fit for what we think the ideal Air Raid under Mario would look like?

If you think that is Rogers then you should think the same thing about Poffenbarger is what I'm saying. They have the same arm strength, similar height, weight, moxie, **** they almost look like brothers. Reese also has more mobility.

The only difference is one played for one of the greatest offensive minds in CFB history and the other has been at Albany.
Which may mean the opposite of what you think.

See Belichik

Official visit? We were all in on Cam and
Georgia only offered because their 23 commit hit the portal. They offered for QB depth and that's what you're supposed to do at the position.WR is only good for us because he is a scheme fit which is the reason UW took him.

Advertisement
Baby Tua is a more talented QB than Rogers.
Does that mean that Rogers couldn't start here over our current QB room? No

I would almost guarantee you that if both Rogers and Baby Tua competed for this job this year, Baby Tua would win.
TT is more talented but is also more turnover prone which would drive CMC crazy 🤪

What I have read and discussed with folks is that if we were going to take a QB with only one year of eligibility that would need to be an elite one. I think we whiffed on both. Barring Ward or Taulia become available, I suspect we are going to wait until the Spring window where some very talented QBs with 2-3 years of eligibility become available.

Rogers' numbers without Mike Leach are below average. His numbers playing under Leach are better but it's mostly just because he was such a high volume passer. He completed a ton of 6 yard passes. I know some people might argue that he was an air raid guy and we're supposedly running that system so he should be a good fit but it only takes five minutes of tape to realize what we do and what Mike Leach did are two very different offenses. Honestly, I believe we already have this guy on the roster in Poff. If anything, Poff has more upside.

Advertisement
Yes, but he would be transferring back-to-back.

It's all good, I just think that sometimes people conflate "is the portal window open" with "does this transfer count as my one free one, or will I need another exception or waiver".

I agree, it is hard to keep up with the NCAA rules, even for people like me who try to stay on top of them.
Rogers did enroll at Washington, and transferring again would be a second transfer.

FWIW…

He has the opportunity to switch again, which will technically be considered his second transfer, in part because of a temporary restraining order issued by a federal judge in West Virginia that granted immediate eligibility to college athletes who had to sit out one year because of the NCAA's previous policy for players who transferred more than once. The NCAA then announced that any player transferring multiple times would be eligible immediately in the 2024 season as long as they transfer before the end of the 2023-24 academic calendar. Rogers falls under that rule and can transfer to a new school without penalty.

I'll go record as saying that I really like the Poff take - provided he ends up as our QB2 this year. He's the type we should have taken as insurance for TVD turning into the Chuck Knoblauch of college QB's, which is exactly what ended up being the case. With a bridge QB, he very well could be in line to start in 2025 with a year in our system under our belt and an opportunity to adjust to the speed of high major football.

In any event, whatever you think about Taulia and Rogers is moot because the fact remains, a high floor QB wins you ~9 games with our schedule in '24 and saves Mario and the program from a left turn similar to what's happening at UF right now.

If Mario doesn't pursue Rogers coupled with Taulia not getting his waver, it's going to get really ugly for him quickly this season and will be difficult to come back from. I'm willing to die on that hill.

Does this finally mean that ward is dead

1705166878338.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back