Will people now admit that fattening up Duke slowed em down?

He was never fast only against garbage teams cuz they were slow. U measure speed vs teams with speed like fsu or uf when he played against them.

Advertisement
What happened to this 4.48? https://www.canesinsight.com/recruits/2012-football/duke-johnson-14/

I'll tell ya exactly what happened.....

So a 185 pound back will last in the league? He had to gain weight for the NFL. No starting tailingback in the league is under 205.

That wasn't my question. But your answer is basically agreeing with my premise that when Duke got to UM he was faster than when he left.

That 4.48 was more than likely hand timed and really like a 4.65 on a laser

It was painfully obvious throughout the season that his long speed and short area burst were affected by the weight gain.

Now we have what can only be described as a disappointing/ schitty 40 time at the combine.

The truth is just the truth. That's all.

It's hilarious how many idiotic post this guy has. You need to stop believing in myths and see the truth. Whether Duke @ 180 or 207, he was never fast. Putting on muscle prob help him so he can handle a workload. but the point is Duke was never fast and anybody with a brain knows that

Advertisement
Funny how many conclusions in this thread are based on treating laser times the same as hand times.

Sorry guys but if you don't understand the difference in those two times you really have no business giving anyone your opinion on anything related to college football.

The Mass delusion never ceases on this site.

Advertisement
if duke wanted to survive in the nfl he had to put on some weight

Agreed. Its a double edged sword here. Sure, if he kept the weight off he would have increased his speed and had a better college career (possible, possibly not), but if he didn't put the weight on he wouldn't be in the position he is in now to get drafted. ****, scouts still think he is a little undersized. If he didn't put the weight on he likely would have gotten hurt again in college his senior year.

Either way he had to put weight on to avoid injury. I think he's actually done a good job maintaing his speed relative to his weight anyways

It was painfully obvious throughout the season that his long speed and short area burst were affected by the weight gain.

Now we have what can only be described as a disappointing/ schitty 40 time at the combine.

you know this is the first season that Duke actually finished right? he needed the weight to take the hits because he is a grinder as a runner. his 40 time is who he is. i think he could have ran 4.5 max but Duke has quick acceleration. his on field drills were amazing.

So, is he slower now than as a frosh?

Isn't that obvious? We're also not running track either so I don't see how his speed is the top priority. I know people wanna knock the weight Folden makes players put on but Duke is probably the lone beneficiary of that weight gain

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 86
Basically Duke putting on weight took him from a 4.4 guy to a 4.5 guy.

People mentioned he looked slower this year, which is true. Posters jumped all over them for saying Duke was slow. That's not what they were saying at all, they said he just looked slowER. He was still fast, just not as fast.

Saying he was never fast is wrong too. He was and still is fast, just not as fast. The added weight helped him to take more hits physically, and the advantage of that outweighed the little bit of speed he had to sacrifice, so it was a good decision.

But if you look at his highlights from last year vs. his highlights from his freshman year, yo can see he's not quite as fast as he was before.

Advertisement

It's hilarious how many idiotic post this guy has. You need to stop believing in myths and see the truth. Whether Duke @ 180 or 207, he was never fast. Putting on muscle prob help him so he can handle a workload. but the point is Duke was never fast and anybody with a brain knows that

Cane Dynasty needs to stop posting seriously. the weight gain helped him and it didnt affect his YPC at all. he needed the added weight otherwise he wouldve been sidelined each week

Advertisement
How could it ever be argued that it DIDNT slow him down? Really?
But I think he played plenty fast anyway.
The way that kid gives extra effort, he needs a little extra bulk.

Saying he was never fast is just as idiotic. A 4.55 isn't slow. You guys wet yourself over mythical 4.2 and 4.3 times that get thrown out all the time when in reality there is only a few guys running in that range every year. Yes, Duke lost a little on his time but it's not like it will affect his draft stock. No one was expecting him to run a 4.3.

Advertisement
Back