Will Mallory Ranked Top 10 TE

Advertisement
Well in fairness, Brevin wasn’t, too, reliable health wise. Mallory has had his fair shots, & he’s been hot & cold here. I want to see him more consistent. Right now, based upon his body of work, he’s a fringe 6th round pick - UDFA.

His potential is through the roof, but I need to see more, consistently.
Mallory health hasn’t been much better

Ive never been blown away or even super impressed with Will Mallory. That said, he's been consistently competent and has shown year over year improvement every year that he's been on campus. If he continues on that annual rate of improvement, I expect that he will be a top 10 tight end this season.
He has the tools just not sure about the mindset.
1. Needs to stay healthy
2. Needs to demonstrate that he can consistently make difficult catches in traffic.
3. Needs to demonstrate that he is a capable blocker

Advertisement
IF.... big IF... he can stay healthy and not look hobbled most games... he can win the Mackey and be a day 2 pick in the NFL draft

kid has all the length in the passing and want too in the blocking game that the NFL covets

Mallory will be drafted. The question is will he be drafted late Day 3 or Day 1 / Day 2? The only way the latter happens is if he stays healthy and takes a big next step. Has it in him, had to show it game in game out.

Yep. My biggest gripe from Lashlee last year was the TE usage, especially not taking advantage of two TE sets. He needs to figure that out this season.
even more frustrating was not utilizing the tight ends more with our **** poor wr play.

if Mallory stays healthy and we target him multiple times a game, he will be a top 5 te

Advertisement
You’re letting facts get in the way of a typical CIS false narrative. Just let it go on, and let them step all over themselves saying things that are provably incorrect.
We didn’t utilize our tight ends as much as we could have or should have with the poor wr play. Mallory has been under utilized since he’s been here

Advertisement
UM tight ends combined for 61 catches, 903 yards and 11 touchdowns. In 11 games. That’s including Larry Hodges 1 catch for -2 yards. You’d be hard pressed to find many teams that got more out of their tight ends. Maybe a super pass heavy offense might get more production but Miami was very balanced, throwing the ball 35 times a game and running the ball 38.

We didn’t utilize our tight ends as much as we could have or should have with the poor wr play. Mallory has been under utilized since he’s been here

Miami TEs in 2020: 60 catches for over 900 yards and 11 TDs.

Advertisement
Mallory’s blocking needs to improve but lets be honest and admit that even at the pro level many teams don’t use their TE on the line anymore. TE’s are basically on the field to create mismatches ala Kyle Pitts The knock on Pitts was his blocking and nobody in the NFL cared come draft day.
And if you don’t think Mallory can catch the ball, or is flexible, or is fast, go back and watch the Louisville game. Watch the pass that was called back for the bogus false start, or watch the touchdown catch in that game.
Not-so-bold prediction; Mallory will be drafted in the top 2 rounds next year and has a chance to sneak into the 1st round if he stays healthy and UM wins at least 10.

Not a huge deal, but his perception could be slightly improved if some of his bigger plays actually stood (I’m recalling huge plays in the Louisville and Clemson games that got called back for penalties). Not calling him a world beater, but he’s more than serviceable in the offense if used correctly.

Mallory averaged 2 catches per game. With his talent no reason he shouldn’t average 4 catches per game at least.

Miami TEs in 2020: 60 catches for over 900 yards and 11 TDs.

That's just over five catches per game for our TEs. Which is good but not great.
With our depth and talent level I feel we should target at least 8 catches per game for our TEs.

Will Mallory will appear on highlight reels this season. If he tosses another DB aside like he did at Louisville, he'll be hard to stop.

Advertisement
Back