Will Mallory expectations

Advertisement
Not to be a POS, but it’s a pipe dream.

A healthy Mallory? 35 catches 450 yards and 4 TDs.

Please prove me wrong

Mallory’s numbers as the #1 tight end were better than Jordan’s. He also improved his hands significantly from 2019 to last year. I expect a big season. They’re trying to establish themselves as a power running team for 2021 so I expect plenty of 2 tight end formations with Mallory often playing the role of a glorified WR.

Advertisement
Not to be a POS, but it’s a pipe dream.

A healthy Mallory? 35 catches 450 yards and 4 TDs.

Please prove me wrong
He had 330 yards as a backup last year. He was tight end 1 for six games over the last two seasons while Brevin was hurt. During those games he caught 22 passes for 393 yards. He’s statistically a more productive receiver than Jordan was.

Advertisement
I'm a big fan of Mallory - 700+ yds is definitely doable.

Brevin would've had over 700 if he stayed healthy last year.

But understand - Winslow's Soph year is the only year any Canes TE has gone over 700 yds - so it's a pretty tall order.

I still remember clearly his Heisman pose first game of the season against Louisiana Tech. He then followed that up with no other touchdowns the rest of the season. Kind of the story of his life. He does something dumb and it's all downhill from there. That catch against WVU though, wow, what a catch.

His drops were down last year.
That catch vs UVA in the first series was as good as any receiver had all year.

700 yards is a reach, but I expect 600/7-8 while complementing the increased production from the receivers.

Mallory’s numbers as the #1 tight end were better than Jordan’s. He also improved his hands significantly from 2019 to last year. I expect a big season. They’re trying to establish themselves as a power running team for 2021 so I expect plenty of 2 tight end formations with Mallory often playing the role of a glorified WR.
His numbers weren’t better than Jordan’s lol. And there won’t be as many two TE sets this year.

His numbers weren’t better than Jordan’s lol. And there won’t be as many two TE sets this year.
They absolutely were. He averaged 65.5 yards per game as the starting tight end while Jordan was hurt. Jordan averaged 52.2 yards per game as the starting tight end for Miami in his career.

Also, Rhett Lashlee has mentioned wanting to use two tight end sets more this year in a couple of interviews this off season.

Advertisement
What can we expect from a healthy Mallory as the lead TE?

I went back and looked at the seven games he played the last couple years without Brevin (Louisville, FIU, Duke, La Tech, Pitt, UVA, NC State). The results were surprising.

In those seven games, he had 410 yards (59 ypg). Extend that over a 12-game season and you have 703 yards. That would be the biggest number for a TE at Miami since Winslow's sophomore year.

Can Mallory make the leap to Mackey candidate? Or is he always going to struggle with durability and drops?
He's going to be an All American. Kid has it all and is the fastest TE we've had since Olsen. (Not sure how fast Arroyo is)

What can we expect from a healthy Mallory as the lead TE?

I went back and looked at the seven games he played the last couple years without Brevin (Louisville, FIU, Duke, La Tech, Pitt, UVA, NC State). The results were surprising.

In those seven games, he had 410 yards (59 ypg). Extend that over a 12-game season and you have 703 yards. That would be the biggest number for a TE at Miami since Winslow's sophomore year.

Can Mallory make the leap to Mackey candidate? Or is he always going to struggle with durability and drops?
Mallory is going to end up being a first round pick.

Advertisement
Would love to see him ball out like most people on here think we will but just don't think that will happen. Mallory has good long speed but no short burst speed and on plays less then 20 yards. He gets very little separation on any play except the deep corner play and does not have the athletic ability to make the tough catches that great TE's make. Against lower level teams he will do well but against top teams when you need him most he will disappear. Great young man and wish him the best in Life but his future as a pro is limited to a backup at best.

He needs to be a big part of the offensive plan. He needs to average double digits targets per game.

He's big and he can run. When he gets the ball he runs angry. His blocking has steadily improved. That's more than you can say for a lot of TEs but I don't see untapped upside. He's an effective role player.

I could see him having a career like Blake Jarwin in the NFL.
The untapped upside would come with health. He was a 10.9 100M guy in high school, has played like that in practice at times but has rarely looked fully healthy in the games. At his best, he eats up grass with his strides.

He really needs a healthy season.

He looks and moves like he was patched together like Frankenstein. Bolts fly out of his knees when he makes a catch and turns upfield.

That said, I expect him to be better than Jordan was in 2020.

Advertisement
Back