Will Mallory expectations

No doubt the potential is there, but he hasn't shown he can make semi-difficult catches, he's too stiff, durability issues and goes down too easily. Right now he is a run of the mill college TE every good team has. Arroyo has me excited though.

Advertisement
They absolutely were. He averaged 65.5 yards per game as the starting tight end while Jordan was hurt. Jordan averaged 52.2 yards per game as the starting tight end for Miami in his career.

Also, Rhett Lashlee has mentioned wanting to use two tight end sets more this year in a couple of interviews this off season.
Lol at yards per game when jordan has played a lot more than mallory. And lashlee didn’t say that at all. He said last year he felt that 2 te sets was what was best for the offense. He said he is trying to figure out if he needs to use more wrs this year or keep with the 2 te sets. Based on the questions at te behind mallory and all the wrs on the roster it’s clear they will be using more wrs this year

Will probably have a few big games (100 yds or close) but also disappear in others.

40 catches (take the under)
500 yards
6 tds

Lol at yards per game when jordan has played a lot more than mallory. And lashlee didn’t say that at all. He said last year he felt that 2 te sets was what was best for the offense. He said he is trying to figure out if he needs to use more wrs this year or keep with the 2 te sets. Based on the questions at te behind mallory and all the wrs on the roster it’s clear they will be using more wrs this year
Re-read my original post.

They have a third year guy, a second year guy and a high impact freshman behind Mallory. There’s far more questions at WR. They don’t even know who’s going to be the third starter.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Re-read my original post.

They have a third year guy, a second year guy and a high impact freshman behind Mallory. There’s far more questions at WR. They don’t even know who’s going to be the third starter.
Pope is the 3rd guy at least so far in camp. According to reports he is in the slot with Harley and Rambo outside. And you naming the year of the TEs but none of them have proven anything either. You will see when the season starts

What sucks about this spring and not garnering enough attention is the fact that just about all of the TE's are injured and that's going to affect their development and familiarity with Van Dyke and Garcia.

The untapped upside would come with health. He was a 10.9 100M guy in high school, has played like that in practice at times but has rarely looked fully healthy in the games. At his best, he eats up grass with his strides.

He really needs a healthy season.
yeah he cant run a 10.9 with that big *** knee brace on lol i just wanna see him healthy for a season, we never really got the 1/2 combo with him and BJ but hopefully this year he has a njoku type of season at least.

Sorry but there are not a lot of TEs in the country who can do this.

Yes, consistency, blocking, durability. Of course he’s got question marks. But this shows you a ceiling that most guys his size and position simply do not have.

Advertisement
There will be games where he will be unstoppable.

HOT TAKE: He has a “Greg Olson 2005 vs FSU” type game against Bama. It’s his coming out party.

If he can stay healthy for every game he can definitely get 50 catches and around 700 yds. But I think he'll get banged up and get 40-550 yds. I hope he stays healthy and balls out especially until a 2nd the can spell him a bit

Higher ceiling and better athlete than Jordan. Can work his way into a top 100 pick if he's healthy
I think he's faster but could he catch one of those quick passes in the slot and make a guy miss. I think he's not as agile and would try to plow through the defender

Advertisement
What can we expect from a healthy Mallory as the lead TE?

I went back and looked at the seven games he played the last couple years without Brevin (Louisville, FIU, Duke, La Tech, Pitt, UVA, NC State). The results were surprising.

In those seven games, he had 410 yards (59 ypg). Extend that over a 12-game season and you have 703 yards. That would be the biggest number for a TE at Miami since Winslow's sophomore year.

Can Mallory make the leap to Mackey candidate? Or is he always going to struggle with durability and drops?
he has a chance ... but if he gets hurt and loses alot of time arroyo may wally pipp him ... i love everyhting about arroyo's film ... i think he has to get used to the physicality, but man ... he has the tools

Needs to work on his combat catching. Too many 50-50 balls that he didn’t win on in his time here. That has to be automatic

Advertisement
I'm a big fan of Mallory - 700+ yds is definitely doable.

Brevin would've had over 700 if he stayed healthy last year.

But understand - Winslow's Soph year is the only year any Canes TE has gone over 700 yds - so it's a pretty tall order.
That stat is absolutely shocking considering the insane amount of TE talent that has come through UM.
Glenn Dennison
Coleman Bell
Willie Smith
Rob Chudzinsky
Bubba Franks
Jeremy Shockey
Kellen Winslow
Greg Olsen
Jimmy Graham
Chris Herndon
David Njoku
Brevin Jordan

Did I miss anyone?

I purposely left out
Alfredo Roberts
Dedrick Epps
Kevin Everett
Richard Gordon
Mondriel Fulcher
Ivan Mercer
Chase Ford
Buck Ortega

Durability aside. He’s a beast as far as his potential. I’m excited to see if
Wish we could put durability aside. But its a concern - he caught some huge passes last season but some players are prone to injury (Someone posted he has a shoulder injury right now) and that position has had its share, better be some big shoes at #2.

What sucks about this spring and not garnering enough attention is the fact that just about all of the TE's are injured and that's going to affect their development and familiarity with Van Dyke and Garcia.
Has Arroyo practiced?

Advertisement
Back