Will Duke Johnson finally overcome the BIG GAME hurdle?

Duke didnt get double digit carries in any of those 3 games. Hard to go for huge numbers on 6 frickin carries.

Advertisement
I know some dont like it but it is a legitimate question. Same goes for Morris and Dorsett. These are the guys we depend on to get us big plays. In the games last year when we needed them to step up they didnt perform so well in those roles. I feel 100% confident Duke will shine when the lights are brightest. I dont know how the other 2 will perform, but will be there rooting for them

Silly to doubt or question Dukes ability. Makes me wonder if some of our fans actually watch the games. Only game he failed in was KSU with the drops. Other than that ND was a wash and FSU he was hurt. As some one posted before he was not the focal point of the offense and didn't get a high volume of touches in those games. Go back and watch ND on the opening kick off he fields it and Dorsetts runs up and tries to take it from him. Duke is one of the best players in the nation. Can his supporting cast step up and give him a chance to "win" the game for us (as you would see it).

Duke was hurt against FSU. Against a different opponent he probably would not have played.

Better question, will the OL ever live up to the hype?

Advertisement
Our OL as a unit has performed below their potential. Makes you wonder about the coaching - both the position and the schemes. There are a bunch of NFL players on that OL. Someone mentioned the sum of the whole is less than its parts. So far, that's what it looks like again. This is a huge week to prove otherwise.

I'd like to see some consistency from the OL. They open up holes and get to the second level on some plays, and then they can't convert in short yardage during the same drive.

He got a combined 23 carries against Kansas St, Notre Dame, and FSU.

There's no way to get in any kind of rhythm with 8 carries, especially when the defense is getting pilloried.

Let's see what he does with 20 carries and a commitment to the running game.

There's no way to get in any kind of rhythm with 8 carries, especially when the defense is getting pilloried.

this

Advertisement

Let's see what he does when we don't have hockey-style line changes and actually ask guys to do what they're good at it. That means no one wants to see Bunche in space. No one wants to see 2 of the biggest OL in the school's history repeatedly (realize it has to be mixed in) sprint laterally and find someone to block.

Good point on the touches. Don't doubt his ability. It seem he had very little carries, because we fell so far behind that we had to change the game plan. Still standing by the fact, that we need a big game from everyone, but it would be AWESOME to see him break out and the whole nation learn more about Randy DUKE Johnson. On a lighter note. Did anyone see the white suburban like vehicle ...SWAG WAG...decked out in Canes interior/and WE ARE THE U painted the side. I thought it was pretty cool. If I was smart enough to now how to insert a file I would post it on here.

Thanks. I do believe the question is legitimate. When they show Duke highlights...they don't say here are some O line highlights. It is what it is. Football is a team game, but when we talk about our backs, we are not listing the O lineman in the conversation. It may come up, but we talk about EJ, Portis, Gore, Willie Mac, we don't add the O line man for the most part...except perhaps McKinnie. No matter how personal and stupid this may seem for some people, we need the stars to perform. In my humble opinion, I don't see Va Tech the same right now. It's a tough game for us, but no one game them a chance against Bama. Va Tech vs UM last year was just another game for many nationwide.

Yet, once again, Duke got only a handful of touches in those games where he "didn't come through". Barely enough to even get a rhythm going. If he ran the ball 15 times/game in those games, then maybe you'd have the beginnings of a valid argument...but he didn't.

Thanks. I do believe the question is legitimate. When they show Duke highlights...they don't say here are some O line highlights. It is what it is. Football is a team game, but when we talk about our backs, we are not listing the O lineman in the conversation. It may come up, but we talk about EJ, Portis, Gore, Willie Mac, we don't add the O line man for the most part...except perhaps McKinnie. No matter how personal and stupid this may seem for some people, we need the stars to perform. In my humble opinion, I don't see Va Tech the same right now. It's a tough game for us, but no one game them a chance against Bama. Va Tech vs UM last year was just another game for many nationwide.

Illegitimate as it gets. There is no "finally" with a true sophomore with one game under his belt in the second year.

this thread is the case study for needing to be able to neg more than once.

Advertisement
Our OL gets overrated and they got their asses kicked in the games Duke struggled.

I am not confident at all in the Oline. Duke may get his big runs, but that is mostly him versus the line doing something good, kinda like how Barry Sanders had ****** lines his whole career in Detroit.

Let's see what he does when we don't have hockey-style line changes and actually ask guys to do what they're good at it. That means no one wants to see Bunche in space. No one wants to see 2 of the biggest OL in the school's history repeatedly (realize it has to be mixed in) sprint laterally and find someone to block.

Seriously. It's maddening.

For the love of God, leave Feliciano at left Guard.

Advertisement

My Gawd, I dont understand this. Why move a player from a position he excels and in essence bring both positions down a notch. Why not just let Bunche play Tackle if you want him on the field?! makes no sense. Can Mongo play RT? yea, of course in a pinch. But it does us no benefit to put him there and try to have Bunche pulling around on plays, Dude never gets there and seems to just run up the back of another olineman. I can understand building depth but having guys shuffle in and out at different positions I dont really get.

Advertisement
Back