Will Duke Johnson finally overcome the BIG GAME hurdle?

Canefan235

Redshirt Freshman
Love the young man...my favorite player on the team, but I have yet to really see him break out against the big time teams. I mean the big stage last year was FSU/KSU and ND...even though every game is a big game for us. If I recall correctly, it seems the Duke effect was neutralized. Now, a lot of it is with the O line, it just didn't fit in the title. If Duke is going to be a legitimate heisman contender and we start comparing him to the great UM running backs, I believe he has to do it in the big time games. Just my humble opinion. GO CANES!

Advertisement
Is he gonna get any blocking? It ain't his fault that he didn't break out in big games.

don't start some dumb **** thread about how Duke doesn't play well in big games.

Advertisement
I disagree with premise. The entire team failed against top competition, not just one player. I think it more important that Morris excel than Duke at this stage; though admittedly, we need both to be firing on all cylinders.

Advertisement
Love the young man...my favorite player on the team, but I have yet to really see him break out against the big time teams. I mean the big stage last year was FSU/KSU and ND...even though every game is a big game for us. If I recall correctly, it seems the Duke effect was neutralized. Now, a lot of it is with the O line, it just didn't fit in the title. If Duke is going to be a legitimate heisman contender and we start comparing him to the great UM running backs, I believe he has to do it in the big time games. Just my humble opinion. GO CANES!

Before saying he doesn't show up for big games, maybe look and see how many carries he got in those big games. Not many at all, as we got behind early and abandoned the running game.

I know some dont like it but it is a legitimate question. Same goes for Morris and Dorsett. These are the guys we depend on to get us big plays. In the games last year when we needed them to step up they didnt perform so well in those roles. I feel 100% confident Duke will shine when the lights are brightest. I dont know how the other 2 will perform, but will be there rooting for them

Advertisement
I know some dont like it but it is a legitimate question. Same goes for Morris and Dorsett. These are the guys we depend on to get us big plays. In the games last year when we needed them to step up they didnt perform so well in those roles. I feel 100% confident Duke will shine when the lights are brightest. I dont know how the other 2 will perform, but will be there rooting for them

Duke had under 10 carries against FSU, ND and KSU. Their defenses were swarming and we had to pass to get back in the game which we didn't, except for FSU. As commented earlier, how do you use the word finally like he wasn't a true freshman last year. Maybe this thread should be re-titled with Stephen Morris' name and not a true sophmore.

Thanks. I do believe the question is legitimate. When they show Duke highlights...they don't say here are some O line highlights. It is what it is. Football is a team game, but when we talk about our backs, we are not listing the O lineman in the conversation. It may come up, but we talk about EJ, Portis, Gore, Willie Mac, we don't add the O line man for the most part...except perhaps McKinnie. No matter how personal and stupid this may seem for some people, we need the stars to perform. In my humble opinion, I don't see Va Tech the same right now. It's a tough game for us, but no one game them a chance against Bama. Va Tech vs UM last year was just another game for many nationwide.

Advertisement
***** that...The TEAM played like crap against better opponents and the TEAM will have to play better before Duke can get off on a greater opponent. That's the only way to look at it.
Thanks. I do believe the question is legitimate. When they show Duke highlights...they don't say here are some O line highlights. It is what it is. Football is a team game, but when we talk about our backs, we are not listing the O lineman in the conversation. It may come up, but we talk about EJ, Portis, Gore, Willie Mac, we don't add the O line man for the most part...except perhaps McKinnie. No matter how personal and stupid this may seem for some people, we need the stars to perform. In my humble opinion, I don't see Va Tech the same right now. It's a tough game for us, but no one game them a chance against Bama. Va Tech vs UM last year was just another game for many nationwide.

Huh? Who lines up in front of Duke Johnson? That's right, fullback, qb, ol and te. His teammates and the way they perform has quite a bit to do with #8's success!

Our OL gets overrated and they got their asses kicked in the games Duke struggled.

Advertisement
Back