Wide Receiver is our 2nd weakest position by far! (and nobody is talking about it)

Lol you need to watch more football if you think Harley, Pope, Wiggins and Payton have elite traits. 1 we haven’t seen Payton almost at all so no way to say that confidently. Harley and Wiggins potential starters in the league lol. These guys aren’t when I’m the same area code as Rashawn Scott, KJ Osborn, Stacy Coley types. Wiggins ran an 11.2 in the 100 that is nothing close to special at a top program. What does Harley do ‘elite’? Maybe you are desensitized to what ‘elite’ is but there is a higher standard especially at Miami. Don’t get me started with Pope. This is the U and these guys have not played to a high level consistently. Jeff Thomas at least would create separation and dominate bad teams even with Rosier throwing him the ball. Lets be real nothing personal.
Rashawn Scott and KJ Osborn do not have more talent then our top 4 this year. They work harder but talent and ability wise our top 4 can do things Scott and Osborn can never do. Coley has elite talent but had to walk to the beach after every catch. Time will tell but if they stay healthy and continue to get better they can all be starters in the league. Well come back to this later in the year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
WRs can't catch a ball that isn't thrown to them. Playcalling and QB play didn't give them a lot of opportunities last year.

Call me crazy but Jordan and Mallory will be on the field together most of the time. With them on the field we can go heavy on one play and empty the next without missing a beat. Either way, I don't see ANY of the true freshman WRs playing a major role. We don't need them to.

And why does this fan base keep talking about how skinny wrs are? You don’t have to be swole at wr. Tutu atwell is listed at 153. Hollywood brown was about 160. Smith at bama skinny as ****. Pope will be fine.

Lol cmon man you have to be 6”3 220 to be a good WR at any level. You know this

Advertisement
And why does this fan base keep talking about how skinny wrs are? You don’t have to be swole at wr. Tutu atwell is listed at 153. Hollywood brown was about 160. Smith at bama skinny as ****. Pope will be fine.
These dudes are too caught up in that bodybuilding ****. Many of the best WRs in history are skinny guys.

Wiggins takes alot of heat on here. That kid has NFL potential if he can put it together.

Advertisement
Call me crazy but Jordan and Mallory will be on the field together most of the time. With them on the field we can go heavy on one play and empty the next without missing a beat. Either way, I don't see ANY of the true freshman WRs playing a major role. We don't need them to.
underrated post.

The tight ends will be used how we envisioned penos using them. Creating mismatches with scheme.

imagine a LB trying to cover Brevin in space?

side note, i think keyshawn smith will have a solid role on as a freshman. deep threat to spell dee

in the new system, EVERY freshman WR will get major burn. We’ll need a minimum of 8 to run the tempo he likes. They will ALL have the opportunity to eat if they catch the balls thrown to them. Between the RB’s and WR’s this freshman class will be more impactful at the skill positions than any I can remember. Bank on it. We have plenty of talent at the WR position, but we need 10/12 in this system.

in the new system, EVERY freshman WR will get major burn. We’ll need a minimum of 8 to run the tempo he likes. They will ALL have the opportunity to eat if they catch the balls thrown to them. Between the RB’s and WR’s this freshman class will be more impactful at the skill positions than any I can remember. Bank on it. We have plenty of talent at the WR position, but we need 10/12 in this system.

Exactly.

Peopke are forgetting the tempo and the amount that’ll be on the field the entire game. On top of the staff really like the young wr’s.

Exactly.

Peopke are forgetting the tempo and the amount that’ll be on the field the entire game. On top of the staff really like the young wr’s.

Subbing disrupts tempo. If we're rotating players in and out then the defense can hold things up until they get their subs in.

Advertisement
Subbing disrupts tempo. If we're rotating players in and out then the defense can hold things up until they get their subs in.

The offense does come off the field when they punt , score , timeouts , injuries and stoppages. On top of that If a player is rotating in all they do is run to line after the play , they know the play already. A spread tempo offense will use more bodies, especially at wr.

The offense does come off the field when they punt , score , timeouts , injuries and stoppages. On top of that If a player is rotating in all they do is run to line after the play , they know the play already. A spread tempo offense will use more bodies, especially at wr.
If an offensive player rotates during a drive it's not a simple as just going straight to the line. The ref will hold on to the ball and allow the defense to make a corresponding substitution.

On top of that, let's look at SMU. Only 5 receivers had over 250 yards and one was a TE. So four WRs.

Last year, Miami had 7 receivers over 250 yards, with two of them being TEs. So five WRs.

So statistically speaking, we will actually rotate less. Especially when you consider SMUs offense dam near tripled our offensive output.

So, it's likely we will have a top 4 of WRs that will absolutely EAT.

If an offensive player rotates during a drive it's not a simple as just going straight to the line. The ref will hold on to the ball and allow the defense to make a corresponding substitution.

On top of that, let's look at SMU. Only 5 receivers had over 250 yards and one was a TE. So four WRs.

Last year, Miami had 7 receivers over 250 yards, with two of them being TEs. So five WRs.

So statistically speaking, we will actually rotate less. Especially when you consider SMUs offense dam near tripled our offensive output.

Are you accounting for the fact that SMU can't recruit and has nowhere near the depth of talent we do? Now don't hit me with SMU's top 2 WR stats as some sort of proof that they had more talent than us. I'm talking about depth of talent. With our depth of talent compared to SMU, we should see more subbing than SMU did.

Advertisement

Yes the ref stands there and waits to see if a sub needs to be made by other team , then steps away. My point is the game stops and it stops quite a bit. Injuries , timeouts , spotting the ball, measurements and replays. Jesus , guys have plenty of opportunities to sub.

I played in one of these offenses and have been a huge spread nerd for years. There’s going to be 7-8 wr’s playing a decent amount of snaps , there won’t be only four guys getting all or a high majority of time. That would defeat the purpose of playing this style of o, you rotate wr’s in an out . Hoping the defense starts subbing key cb’s out, it’s much easier to replace wr’s than cb’s. There’s only 1-2real different makers at cb.

It’s like running a high pace basketball offense and only using 7 guys in rotation. You want tongues hanging out on the dl from rushing and cb’s sprinting back and forth.

I also expect Mallory to be used in the slot as more of a wr , to get him and Mallory on the field together.

This is not enos’s o or a pro style , this is a spread tempo offense. You need bodies and they like the freshmen a lot. I’d expect a minimum of 2-3 to get a good amount of burn. I wouldn’t be shocked if all of them got pt.

Are you accounting for the fact that SMU can't recruit and has nowhere near the depth of talent we do? Now don't hit me with SMU's top 2 WR stats as some sort of proof that they had more talent than us. I'm talking about depth of talent. With our depth of talent compared to SMU, we should see more subbing than SMU did.

Yes sir , the only way you don’t rotate people in a offense like this is if you have straight trash on the bench or absolutely no depth.

Last edited:
Obviously we have more depth and comparatively to SMU our guys are much more talented.

However, maybe the best way to look at it is to compare SMUs depth to SMUs productive starters. It seems all of their WRs are 3 stars and have plenty of 3 star WRs. So none of their WRs stand out from the rest in the group as far as recruiting rankings.

As far as actual talent, I'm not going to lie. I dont know how good their #6 WR was compared to their #2 and i doubt anybody on this board knows their depth chart that well.

I mean, also what's the claim? That we will have 10 players produce over 250 yards receiving? Or that the freshman WRs wont redshirt?

Because I agree they wont redshirt. We dont have enough depth to sit them. I just dont think they will get substantial playing time, barring injuries, enough to produce at a high level (over 250 yards). I think only one the freshman will hit that...K.Smith

Advertisement
Back