Wide Receiver is our 2nd weakest position by far! (and nobody is talking about it)

OP must have created a CIS account then proceeded to be lost in the woods, only to come out with this hot take six years later.

Advertisement
Harley is going to kill it this year....people need to realize our offense will cater to making decent receivers look good and good receivers look great.

Advertisement
Still, arguably the most talented group of pass catchers in the ACC after Clemson..that off pure talent. As far as production, OP has a point. But it’s not due to lack of talent/potential..sadly those two can be the fastest way to get u fired also

Nothing, I just hope they try to.
He’s got The ability to run past the rushers and find open receivers in less than 3 seconds. If they test our oline on the basis of last years performance they’re in for a rude awakening. You don’t tell a dude like King to scramble to the sidelines and find the 2n or 3rd option. If it ain’t there then use the gift that god gave him. If they come after him dudes will be wide open. I thought enox would be smart enough to let Kosi or Jarren run for yards considering how good they did it in high school. No one was expecting qb run plays. But to let them sit there for over 3 seconds looking for 2nd or 3rd options with 10 yards of green in front of you was just stupid AF in today’s game. It’s been a fckng problem since kaaya.
Kosi and jarred are not good runners at the college level..not even close

Nah our WR just aren’t that good as I’ve stated before but as soon as you say it the board starts crying. It’s facts. We have zero elite WR on this roster as of now. These dudes last year couldn’t create separation from anyone. Blame the scheme all you want, but at some point you just have to be better than then man in front of you and we weren’t 90% of the time
that’s not true..we have WRs who in 7 on 7 would be elite..in one on ones each has the talent to beat any DB in the country. The problem is can they identify coverage, and get open within a scheme and against different coverages..very few play callers can create a abundance of 1 v 1 matchups . And when u have no consistent run threat creating those situations become even more difficult. Also having arguably the worse oline in the P5 doesn’t help that either...lack of talented pass catcher isn’t the issue..production is

Advertisement
Hands down one of the worst post i've seen on here. OP has no idea what he's talking about. Harley, Pope, WIggins, and Payton have no problem getting separation. All 4 have elite traits. All 4 have the potential being starters in the league. If the Oline can be average you'll see this season. You could have put Jerry Juedy and Henry Ruggs in our offense and they would have done nothing.
Lol you need to watch more football if you think Harley, Pope, Wiggins and Payton have elite traits. 1 we haven’t seen Payton almost at all so no way to say that confidently. Harley and Wiggins potential starters in the league lol. These guys aren’t when I’m the same area code as Rashawn Scott, KJ Osborn, Stacy Coley types. Wiggins ran an 11.2 in the 100 that is nothing close to special at a top program. What does Harley do ‘elite’? Maybe you are desensitized to what ‘elite’ is but there is a higher standard especially at Miami. Don’t get me started with Pope. This is the U and these guys have not played to a high level consistently. Jeff Thomas at least would create separation and dominate bad teams even with Rosier throwing him the ball. Lets be real nothing personal.

Harley does struggle with separation which is worrisome considering he should be a seperation king with his quickness at the slot.

Wiggins, has great deep speed. He may be a one trick pony, but that trick will be vital in this new scheme.

Pope will blow up this year. Just has to improve focus drops.

In regard to calling Frierson slow, I'm sorry what? Lol. That's absurd. Frierson played great last year in his time. Only player that made him look slow was Tutu Atwell and that's ok. Gator bomb wasnt all on Frierson, and CBs (so give a striker a break) get bombed all the time, it happens.
Frierson has zero twitch just rewatch FIU game. Was making guys look like they were Tyreek Hill. Also Josh Hammond week 1 made him look insanely slow. I’m all in on Keontra to take over that position and feel that Frierson is a big liability

As said in another thread, every poster here would take Tutu Atwell right now and plug him into our starting lineup. Except had he played here for the last 2 years, he'd have looked nothing like the "proven" player most consider him right now.
Well said, I’ve said that as well too in months after the season.

Some of them are going to have to work on beating man coverage. I don’t mean running past their man on a go, I mean beating the jam and getting good position on slants and other short routes. We ran some RPO slants with Decent success last year but too often guys allowed the DB to reroute them on the line or get in position knock the ball away. Wiggins was our biggest receiver but he struggled to use his body to shield off defenders on slants. Our guys are going to have to get more physical

Advertisement
If NFL pay is a gauge to measure position group value on O , then WR is the 2nd most important position behind QB.
If you see WR play more important than OL play.
I disagree.

BTW, OL is the second highest paid position group on O:

The comment was how the experienced WR position group can lose us multiple games.
I don't see it.

Last edited:
I think the offensive scheme is the reason I’m not scared about the OL or WR position u can call me dumb but the ball will be coming out so fast that the WRs will finally be able to make plays and the line will only have to block for max 2 seconds on most plays.
Calling you dumb because you said I could, but I don't disagree with your post 😉

If you go position by position we all know that we have massive OL issues (OT, both OGs) but people are talking it. The other major question marks are CB, LB and Striker. However, if you look at some of the players at these positions, they either have guys with upside (guys who have data points that make you excited or ok about them) or their lack of productivity doesn't hurt the team as much.

Our WR performance gets excused for bad play design, poor blocking and shaky QB play. IMO the biggest problem with our WR room is that the guys who are slated to play a lot are our least talented WRs with limited upside and/or serious downside. They do not create separation consistently which is the biggest driver of consistency. While they have made the occasional big play (create the illusion that they have upside), they consistently make mistakes and can't get open or win on their routes against mediocre competition.

WR:
"The starters" / "vets":
1. Mike Harley - by all accounts a hard worker and a good guy, he is just is a rotational WR at best. Does not have any strength or wiggle, doesn't break tackles and doesn't create separation outside of the occasional deeper route (even against bad teams). Not a horrible player, but is small and really has just about maxed out his abilities. Has made countless mistakes leading to TOs over the years and loses in almost any 50/50 ball.

2. Dee Wiggins - People remember the Louisville and FSU games where he was catching long tds creating a false narrative that he has upside and is good. Off memory I can think of at least 3 interceptions (1 weak slant vs FIU, 1 weak 'go' in end zone vs VT, 1 weak out in the end zone vs VT) that were completely his fault for running weak routes, not creating separation. Similar to Harley, just way too easy to cover. Another reason why we weren't scoring points against horrible teams.

3. Mark Pope - I do think Pope has SOME upside in that he has some cutting ability that can make defenders miss in the open field and help him get open. The problem is that he is way too small, weak and not trustworthy! A bad blocker, has BARELY flashed in his first 2 years which does not to make me confident that he is going to take a big step forward. Consistency seems like a long way off.

The issue with these 3 guys is that they played a ton last year and the guys behind them are extremely young with no experience. I worry that the coaching staff uses this dilemma to playing the more experienced guys who won't make as many 'mistakes' but will continue to have us struggling to move the ball and get open.
There is definitely some talent in the young WRs but my biggest concern is size, and playing time cus of the group above.
  • Payton: most important WR on the roster. Need him to step up immediately considering the positive reviews in practice
  • Redding: looks most physically ready to play. Looks strong and decent get off at the line. Will definitely play
  • K Smith: Looks good too with cutting ability but extremely skinny so I don't know how much to trust him to play right away
  • Restrepo: If you watch his film he has good initial burst and get-off. Wouldn't surprise me to see him make plays but he's so small that it also wouldn't surprise me to see him sit in favor of the older group
  • Worsham - if it was based on his junior year I would feel good about him, but his senior year post hip surgery was worrisome and I am not counting on him now
Takeaway: if we don't play the kids we will lose MULTIPLE games because of our WRs inability to get open and make consistent plays.

Other concerns overrated:
CB: like upside of Couch, Williams, Dunson and think Ivey (who sucked last year) has tools to be serviceable if not good. With blades this group should be ok against everyone but top wrs (UNC worries me) and we have the DL who hopefully can manufacture pressure.
Striker: If Frierson plays too much we are in trouble. Slow and bad angles! I love Keonta and think he needs to be the guy who can help improve team speed, tackling and play making
LB: Brooks looked fast late in the year so hopefully he can be at least serviceable. If not we have Huff, and other young LBs. As long as RAGONE doesn't sniff the field and McCloud stays health it shouldn't hurt us too much
Great post, spot on. I'm a 53 year old white guy and I have more wiggle than Harley. Pope has been the most disappointing to me, I had high hopes for this kid out of HS, maybe he'll bust out this year. Wiggins is serviceable but not a #1 guy, he would be a great compliment to a true #1 receiver, ala AR

Advertisement
Hands down one of the worst post i've seen on here. OP has no idea what he's talking about. Harley, Pope, WIggins, and Payton have no problem getting separation. All 4 have elite traits. All 4 have the potential being starters in the league. If the Oline can be average you'll see this season. You could have put Jerry Juedy and Henry Ruggs in our offense and they would have done nothing.
giphy.gif

that’s not true..we have WRs who in 7 on 7 would be elite..in one on ones each has the talent to beat any DB in the country. The problem is can they identify coverage, and get open within a scheme and against different coverages..very few play callers can create a abundance of 1 v 1 matchups . And when u have no consistent run threat creating those situations become even more difficult. Also having arguably the worse oline in the P5 doesn’t help that either...lack of talented pass catcher isn’t the issue..production is
THIS !!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Back