WHY would D King Return?

Rather than twisting myself into knots doing “thought exercises”, I think I’ll relax, have a couple of ****tails, toast king, and enjoy a nice meal this evening.

Nothing complicated here enough to twist myself into a brain pretzel. You can be a great leader, love a school, love winning, want to try to elevate a team, others, and your play, and benefit your possible professional future career. These are not mutually exclusive propositions.

It’s a concept some of you may not be familiar with, it’s called a win – win.

Advertisement
Rather than twisting myself into knots doing “thought exercises”, I think I’ll relax, have a couple of ****tails, toast king, and enjoy a nice meal this evening.

Nothing complicated here enough to twist myself into a brain pretzel. You can be a great leader, love a school, love winning, want to try to elevate a team, others, and your play, and benefit your possible professional future career. These are not mutually exclusive propositions.

It’s a concept some of you may not be familiar with, it’s called a win – win.
You must admit, in today's world it is a head scratcher without some angle...

For one he's no where near ready to be an NFL qb. Might as well stay here and try to get better. Hopefully he and lashlee can grow togteher but lashlee looks like another one of those OC's who just calls plays for the **** of it. Doesn't care to create or exploit mismatches.

Advertisement
He has the opportunity to make NIL money next season, that’s gotta play at least a small part in the decision.

Another year being developed by our coaching staff and playing against Alabama can really help his draft stock.

Let me be clear, D King returning is FANTASTIC for Hurricane O going into 2021. Good flr Greentree!!

Just as a thought exercise, WHY is he returning?

1) Get more film as QB to have chance at NFL?

2) Realizes he isnt playing in NFL (at any position), wants another shot at NCAA and then will go onto coaching?

3)?????

What say you???
3:

BAMA

Advertisement
Because like everyone... you only have a limited time to play college football. He obviously enjoyed his time at Miami this year.

I’m sure if you asked a lot of Miami guys who left early and got drafted, they’d love to come back and play another year in college. Once you declare, it’s over.

Just enjoy his decision and the Ws we get next year. I’m excited for the young man and can’t wait to see him with another year under Lashlee.

More important question is which QB will set themselves apart from the rest of the pack and get the majority of backup reps this Spring and next fall.

Hopefully, we blow some teams out next year and we can get a backup some meaningful reps in mop up duty since none of our guys (except Perry who will probably transfer) have any game experience.

Let me be clear, D King returning is FANTASTIC for Hurricane O going into 2021. Good flr Greentree!!

2) Realizes he isnt playing in NFL (at any position), wants another shot at NCAA and then will go onto coaching?

3)?????

What say you???
Maybe he believes in the direction of the program..isn’t that the simple answer y’all use when this happens at other programs?

Advertisement

3)?????

What say you???
Maybe he enjoys playing football. If he goes into the NFL he might not land a job. Then it’s over. He also might like his teammates. He also might like living on campus. Also, he gets to play against legit defenses. He went up against Clemson and showed he has tenacity. Maybe a round against Alabama will show even more.

Last edited:
Crazy thought but maybe he wants more education (e.g. masters, another undergrad degree assuming he has one already) in the field of his eventual non-football work career

Crazy thought but maybe he wants more education (e.g. masters, another undergrad degree assuming he has one already) in his eventual non-football work career
Definitely a needed safety net when **** doesn't go as planned in the future...

Advertisement

3)?????

What say you???
Has goals. Goals include college success.

Why did the Clemson DL return a couple years ago?

Your starting premise is that a kid wouldn't return unless he doesn't have a chance to go high to the NFL. Maybe you're mistaken?

Has goals. Goals include college success.

Why did the Clemson DL return a couple years ago?

Your starting premise is that a kid wouldn't return unless he doesn't have a chance to go high to the NFL. Maybe you're mistaken?
Good point Ethnic...let me correct myself...

In no way was I demeaning E King or implying a deficiency.... of he doesn't make NFL, who cares... it doesn't define the young man and by all accounts he is a good egg.

My ham handed point was... IF (likely) he had some agents in his ear combined with his NFL guesstimate assessment, what drove him to return?

A promise to his late father? Perhaps.

Did he get advice "you aren't going to be drafted as QB"?

Does he have a burning desire to return and lead our Canes on another campaign towards the ACCCG?

In today's world, if he was told he was going nlt 3rd round, he likely goes just from a pure business decision.

Regardless, great for our Canes he is coming back. Miami better get him the best damned OL they can beg, borrow, and steal.

Maybe he believes in the direction of the program..isn’t that the simple answer y’all use when this happens at other programs?
Not me. I'm more a there is a story kinda cat.

Honestly, not many NFL 1-3 round draft locks return to their programs. In my view, they were usually sitting behind another 1-3 round draft choice and were waiting their turn to get "enough" on tape against quality opponents. Omce they have that, gone. Of. course there are exceptions, but rare these days.

No one wants to end like Rusty Medearis (bad luck--no fault of his own) whose injury cost him a highly likely productive NFL career.

To go off on a tangent... can anyone think of a college player whose on-field performance of RM's caliber who suffered a similar fate? And no, A Richards was not one on RM's overall level. He could have been, but we'll never know.

Last edited:
Just be happy he’s staying another year and can help improve the offense, along with Lashlee, Likens, etc. It will help him with more film against top flight opposition. I’m just stoked he’s coming back as it really provides the continuity we need to take the offense to another level.

Advertisement
Back