Why this stuff will ALWAYS happen to us in recruiting....

CANE4LIFE

Im a Political Refugee...
Note how this doesnt happen to Bama, or Texas, or some of those program that often. Yet being a Canes fan, every recruiting season is an adventure in sphinchter muscle contractions.

Why?

Simple.

We dont have the pockets that these other programs do. Plain and simple.

Others have alluded to it here, but who are we kidding. MANY of these kids come from poor neighborhoods and families. Many already have kids and baby mamas. They have large families, with uncles, cousins, grandmas, friends, "advisors", "coaches", "street agents" and all sorts of "hanger ons".

UM is not the predominant big school in the state with the majority of alumni and huge local alumni networks. Not like OSU in Ohio, Alabama, UT, Texas, etc. Those program can and DO get away with WHATEVER they want, since they are located in small college towns, with a local media that enables them and tows the party line. In contrast, UM is in a big city, with a hostile local media that sees itself as some investigative force out to constantly uncover anything it can at UM. The Gators dont have to deal with that in Gainsville. FSU doesnt have to deal with that in Tallahassee. But we do.

So UM has less money, less alumni, and less ability to hide anything even if it DID try to play that game, while our biggest talent base, is largely a poor urban area, which is RIPE PICKINGS for schools that can afford to pay. Mind you Im NOT saying every kid or family is doing this, but it happens in South Florida a LOT, and a lot more than any of us want to admit.

Think about this. How many small to mid size private schools can even COMPETE anymore in big Division I football? Its USC, ND, and Miami. And both of those are bigger than UM, and have much longer legacies. Its a miracle, and a testament to what a great program this is, and the strength of its family, that this program has been able to hold on and keep fighting against these odds.

Bottom line is, we will ALWAYS be fighting an uphill battle. Yes there are many local kids who dream of playing here, and many WILL come. This will get MUCH better when we start winning again. Its been a LONG time since we were a real player on the national scene, and most of today's recruits were too young to remember or care. But we are always going to face defections from kids who just need the money. And money is one thing that has ALWAYS been a part of College football, and always WILL be, no matter how much of a sham the NCAA puts on.

Advertisement
Note how this doesnt happen to Bama, or Texas, or some of those program that often. Yet being a Canes fan, every recruiting season is an adventure in sphinchter muscle contractions.

Why?

Simple.

Others have alluded to it here, but who are we kidding. MANY of these kids come from poor neighborhoods and families. Many already have kids and baby mamas. They have large families, with uncles, cousins, grandmas, friends, "advisors", "coaches", "street agents" and all sorts of "hanger ons".

UM is not the predominant big school in the state with the majority of alumni and huge local alumni networks. Not like OSU in Ohio, Alabama, UT, Texas, etc. Those program can and DO get away with WHATEVER they want, since they are located in small college towns, with a local media that enables them and tows the party line. In contrast, UM is in a big city, with a hostile local media that sees itself as some investigative force out to constantly uncover anything it can at UM. The Gators dont have to deal with that in Gainsville. FSU doesnt have to deal with that in Tallahassee. But we do.

So UM has less money, less alumni, and less ability to hide anything even if it DID try to play that game, while our biggest talent base, is largely a poor urban area, which is RIPE PICKINGS for schools that can afford to pay. Mind you Im NOT saying every kid or family is doing this, but it happens in South Florida a LOT, and a lot more than any of us want to admit.

Think about this. How many small to mid size private schools can even COMPETE anymore in big Division I football? Its USC, ND, and Miami. And both of those are bigger than UM, and have much longer legacies. Its a miracle, and a testament to what a great program this is, and the strength of its family, that this program has been able to hold on and keep fighting against these odds.

Bottom line is, we will ALWAYS be fighting an uphill battle. Yes there are many local kids who dream of playing here, and many WILL come. This will get MUCH better when we start winning again. Its been a LONG time since we were a real player on the national scene, and most of today's recruits were too young to remember or care. But we are always going to face defections from kids who just need the money. And money is one thing that has ALWAYS been a part of College football, and always WILL be, no matter how much of a sham the NCAA puts on.

11.gif

Course its true. Where that kid on that Ole Miss OV get those stacks of hundreds on that twitter pic? Or the kids a few years back on the Clemson OVs? I mean everyone knows it goes on, its not even a secret in the SEC. The only time its even ever discussed is when the boosters from rival schools start throwing eachother under the bus, like the Auburn/Tennessee/Alabama mess from a few years ago that outed Tee Martin. Other than that, it goes on and its just a normal part of life down there. College Football is the religion in the South. In those states, the media wouldnt dare be critical of those programs. And the alumni networks are vast and deep to raise the cash, create sham jobs, cars, anything they need to get the kids they want.

We say this every year when kids go elsewhere. It's the go-to excuse. And yea, there's no doubt that kids are being paid, but I don't really care. As a fan, I want results, not excuses. Recruits have been getting paid for a while now, dating back at least to the early 80s, when we went on our crazy run of titles. Is it worse now? Maybe, maybe not. But it's always been there, and yet we've managed to win 5 titles (and have another stolen from us). Just win. That's all I want. Excuses mean **** to me. If the blue-chip local kids are being bought by SEC schools, then ******* find diamonds in the rough (like Butch did).

I think this is an easy excuse we raise when **** goes wrong. We didn't seem to raise it all back in 2000-2005.

Advertisement
We say this every year when kids go elsewhere. It's the go-to excuse. And yea, there's no doubt that kids are being paid, but I don't really care. As a fan, I want results, not excuses. Recruits have been getting paid for a while now, dating back at least to the early 80s, when we went on our crazy run of titles. Is it worse now? Maybe, maybe not. But it's always been there, and yet we've managed to win 5 titles (and have another stolen from us). Just win. That's all I want. Excuses mean **** to me. If the blue-chip local kids are being bought by SEC schools, then ****ing find diamonds in the rough (like Butch did).

I think this is an easy excuse we raise when **** goes wrong. We didn't seem to raise it all that often back in 2000-2005.

You want results, then start handing out stacks of cash, or go root for Bama brother, but what are we going to do??? What CAN we do?. Ive worked with and known a decent number of division I football players over the years. Including at least 3 who went to Bama going back to the Bear Bryant days, all the way up to just before Saban, and every one of them isnt even shy about talking about the money and cheating that goes on in the SEC. Its not even a secret up there dude.

UM is a small to mid sized private University, with a limited and scattered alumni base. How exactly do you think we can compete with that? Id say its impessive enough that we ARE competitive, considering the disadvantage we face against the bigger programs. Again, what other small to mid size Private University can even compete anymore in Division I football?? Name one. ND is a massive school, and pretty much THE program in Indiana. USC is a big program with a deep and successful history. Who else is left?

Why?

Simple.

Spot on, especially the part about the media.

You could also add on the local high school coaches acting like they are the main attraction....

We say this every year when kids go elsewhere. It's the go-to excuse. And yea, there's no doubt that kids are being paid, but I don't really care. As a fan, I want results, not excuses. Recruits have been getting paid for a while now, dating back at least to the early 80s, when we went on our crazy run of titles. Is it worse now? Maybe, maybe not. But it's always been there, and yet we've managed to win 5 titles (and have another stolen from us). Just win. That's all I want. Excuses mean **** to me. If the blue-chip local kids are being bought by SEC schools, then ******* find diamonds in the rough (like Butch did).

I think this is an easy excuse we raise when **** goes wrong. We didn't seem to raise it all back in 2000-2005.

Shapiro says hi.

We say this every year when kids go elsewhere. It's the go-to excuse. And yea, there's no doubt that kids are being paid, but I don't really care. As a fan, I want results, not excuses. Recruits have been getting paid for a while now, dating back at least to the early 80s, when we went on our crazy run of titles. Is it worse now? Maybe, maybe not. But it's always been there, and yet we've managed to win 5 titles (and have another stolen from us). Just win. That's all I want. Excuses mean **** to me. If the blue-chip local kids are being bought by SEC schools, then ****ing find diamonds in the rough (like Butch did).

I'm so tired of this line. When facts are thrown into the equation, they are labeled as excuses. No, these are legitimate reasons as to why we struggle to recruit top level 5 star talent.

The money being involved when we were winning just means that those times should be made all the more special. Not an expectation.

Advertisement

Why?

Simple.

Spot on, especially the part about the media.

You could also add on the local high school coaches acting like they are the main attraction....

Of course they are, but its no different any where else in the South really. Difference here is, UM is situated in a big city, with big city media outlets who LIVE to try to "uncover" sh*t. That would NEVER happen in Tuscaloosa, Gainsville, Oxford, Knoxville, Auburn, Tallahassee, Athens, etc...

I think this is an easy excuse we raise when **** goes wrong. We didn't seem to raise it all that often back in 2000-2005.

You want results, then start handing out stacks of cash, or go root for Bama brother, but what are we going to do??? What CAN we do?. Ive worked with and known a decent number of division I football players over the years. Including at least 3 who went to Bama going back to the Bear Bryant days, all the way up to just before Saban, and every one of them isnt even shy about talking about the money and cheating that goes on in the SEC. Its not even a secret up there dude.

UM is a small to mid sized private University, with a limited and scattered alumni base. How exactly do you think we can compete with that? Id say its impessive enough that we ARE competitive, considering the disadvantage we face against the bigger programs. Again, what other small to mid size Private University can even compete anymore in Division I football?? Name one. ND is a massive school, and pretty much THE program in Indiana. USC is a big program with a deep and successful history. Who else is left?

ND is a massive school? in terms of what? student enrollment or athletic budget?

What facts are you relying on? Do you know if Collins is getting cash from Ark, or Thomas from FSU or any other school? You see USC's committment list? You think they're doling out cash now, after recently being sanctioned and despite being a private school like us?

This is the same **** every year, whenever we don't land a certain special player. **** that. Back in 2000-2005, we didn't need excuses. We picked the right kids, we won a lot, and then we landed whoever we wanted. Only reason that cycle of success was broken is b/c Coker is AIDS.

I'm so tired of this line. When facts are thrown into the equation, they are labeled as excuses. No, these are legitimate reasons as to why we struggle to recruit top level 5 star talent.

The money being involved when we were winning just means that those times should be made all the more special. Not an expectation.

The reason guys like Map get mad, is because its SEEMS inconsistent, but its really NOT.

When a kid like MT comes along, all the regular stuff goes out the window. He's a NATIONAL recruit, 5 stars, EVERYONE wants him, he's not longer a "local" kid, he's now being courted by EVERYONE, and whoever has the biggest GUN is going to bring it. Im NOT saying MT was bought, but anyone who doesnt think he was at least OFFERED big money, is dreaming.

Where did this magical class Ole Miss is putting togther come from??? I mean that has to be the most amazing rags to riches story Ive seen in college football in decades. An after thought SEC program that hasnt done d*ck in ages, suddenly is just bagging blue chippers left and right, and kids from cities all across America who probably couldnt even FIND Mississippi on a map a few months ago, suddenly cant WAIT to take OVs there??? and suddenly a week ago a kid on an OV there is tweeting out pictures of him with stacks of Bennies?? LOL.

Come on mane. This isnt hard. Many of these kids come from poor backgrounds, soemone was offering you 20, 30K in cash, when your mama was living in the projects, lets not pretend that it isnt going to affect a good number of kids.

Advertisement
If we didnt have the best recruiting area in the country within a 90 minute drive of campus we would be vanderbilt... just like what donna and the school really want

Texas' recruiting isn't topsy turvy and they ALWAYS underachieve. They are lazy on the trail and pay for it.

'Bama has won 3 of 4 titles, of course it doesn't happen to them as often.

All that being said, every program has their ups and downs. We have a ton of them given where we are recruiting and who we are recruiting against...even when we were rolling we had crazy recruiting battles on our own turf. It just seems like we are the craziest because we are closest to it. If we followed Clemson really closely, we'd probably be saying the same thing. Or Michigan. Or Oregon. Or whoever.

We sound like b!tches.
Didn't we land a #1 recruiting class in 08?

We can be animals on the recruiting trails under golden and co. But first we need a season better than 7-5 & second we need the NCAA monkey off our back.

Then watch out.

Advertisement
What facts are you relying on? Do you know if Collins is getting cash from Ark, or Thomas from FSU or any other school? You see USC's committment list? You think they're doling out cash now, after recently being sanctioned and despite being a private school like us?

This is the same **** every year, whenever we don't land a certain special player. **** that. Back in 2000-2005, we didn't need excuses. We picked the right kids, we won a lot, and then we landed whoever we wanted. Only reason that cycle of success was broken is b/c Coker is AIDS.

Truth.

Exactly. In 2008, we landed almost every major local kid. Were those kids more morally righteous than the recruits this year?

ND is a massive school? in terms of what? student enrollment or athletic budget?

Budget, alumni base, boosters, history. Their alumni are all over the midwest. Indiana, Illinois, etc... It has been the official school of Catholics in middle America for about a century now.

Golden just has to start winning. Thats how the ball really gets rolling. 9+ wins next season. Anything else and its a disappointment. Once we start winning everything else will fall into place. But the mountain the University of Miami has to climb today is no different than the one it climbed in the 80s and late 90s/early 2000s. It will happen again we just have to be patient. With all the media exposure this **** is magnified by 100. I guarantee if the media outlets were available during Butch Davis' time here, we would be having similar meltdowns while he was trying to rebuild the program.

Advertisement
Back