Why no I formation?

Put me in the camp of hating RPO’s. I get it that we are winning and we are using it bc it may be our best way to play given some issues but I am in the camp of the old canes pro style offense mindset.

Same here. Every game I've been irritated at the lack of I formation and all of the gorgeous permutations it allows, along with basic physical football and all the advantages that spring.

Another terrible porst by Awsi... bring back the wishbone!

Advertisement
LOL at this fan base trying to go backwards in time. Nobody uses a FB anymore.

Not Clemson, OSU, Bama or UGA. Which one of our playmaking WRs do you want to take off the field for a 250 lb FB that no defensive coordinator will worry about?

We don't need a fullback. We just need some hogs up front that can move people. I don't expect that type of OL for two more years unfortunately.

LOL at this fan base trying to go backwards in time. Nobody uses a FB anymore.

Not Clemson, OSU, Bama or UGA. Which one of our playmaking WRs do you want to take off the field for a 250 lb FB that no defensive coordinator will worry about?

We don't need a fullback. We just need some hogs up front that can move people. I don't expect that type of OL for two more years unfortunately.

This. I thought our fans complained last year that Richt's offense was too 90s? Well there's nothing more 90s than I formation.

The simple answer to the OP is probably that we just don't have the appropriate personnel to run that, from Rosier on down to the O-line. I think it would be a disaster. Not only would we not move the ball any better, we'd also end up limiting ourselves for the big-play opportunities we are currently getting, without which we'd probably be 4-3 or 3-4.

My guess is that you could look to our 2003 game against Tennessee in the Orange Bowl for what our offense would look like if we tried to run that style. We had similar personnel issues.....most glaringly, a shorter QB who struggled in Coker's pro-style sets. How comfortable do you feel with Malik under center? I don't feel very comfortable with that at all.

The game has changed. No one runs that style anymore. Not sure we could get the players to run that style even if we wanted to, since all the high schools are running shotgun spread.

The only time that offense has ever worked at Miami is when we were loaded with NFL draft picks.

Truth is, Miami has always been a school that was better suited for the spread. Our recruiting ground breeds spread players. If we breeded Pro-Style players down here then we wouldn't need to find QB's, TE's and OL in other states. (like we did during our last run)

I can't fathom why any school would run a scheme that requires them to get on a plane to find their players. LOL
Miami running the Pro-Style is like Wisconsin running the spread.

Hey Dude- I don’t pretend to know half as much as you do. However I don’t think it is that far fetched of an idea to run pro style again in Miami. Did CMR not run pro style during his tenure at Georgia? What about next year when we have Lingard at RB and those OL recruits keep developing? From my admittedly rookie armchair coach eye the RPO is remarkably boring. That is all- no more or no less

The simple answer to the OP is probably that we just don't have the appropriate personnel to run that, from Rosier on down to the O-line. I think it would be a disaster. Not only would we not move the ball any better, we'd also end up limiting ourselves for the big-play opportunities we are currently getting, without which we'd probably be 4-3 or 3-4.

My guess is that you could look to our 2003 game against Tennessee in the Orange Bowl for what our offense would look like if we tried to run that style. We had similar personnel issues.....most glaringly, a shorter QB who struggled in Coker's pro-style sets. How comfortable do you feel with Malik under center? I don't feel very comfortable with that at all.

The game has changed. No one runs that style anymore. Not sure we could get the players to run that style even if we wanted to, since all the high schools are running shotgun spread.

The only time that offense has ever worked at Miami is when we were loaded with NFL draft picks.

Truth is, Miami has always been a school that was better suited for the spread. Our recruiting ground breeds spread players. If we breeded Pro-Style players down here then we wouldn't need to find QB's, TE's and OL in other states. (like we did during our last run)

I can't fathom why any school would run a scheme that requires them to get on a plane to find their players. LOL
Miami running the Pro-Style is like Wisconsin running the spread.

Hey Dude- I don’t pretend to know half as much as you do. However I don’t think it is that far fetched of an idea to run pro style again in Miami. Did CMR not run pro style during his tenure at Georgia? What about next year when we have Lingard at RB and those OL recruits keep developing? From my admittedly rookie armchair coach eye the RPO is remarkably boring. That is all- no more or no less

What is "the RPO"? I've never heard of this offense.

Advertisement
Crazy idea maybe, but I would love to see Patchan at FB on short yardage situation, in particular close to the goaline.

don't need a fb, there are various single back, two tight end sets that can be used.

I think we'll use 2TE to close games with a lead, but our best personnel set until Irvin arrives is to have 3 WRs; Richards, Thomas, Berrios, with Herndon and Homer.

We need to force defenses to cover that group with good execution. Then, hopefully, we can run the ball against a thinner box. Skill players dropping the ball and the O-line not keeping the pocket clean have killed our offensive rhythm and tempo. We need to execute our passing game to be successful and score points.

Our O-line needs more depth and talent to be a power running team (which is what Richt wants to do), and I think we're another recruiting class or two away from developing that identity.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back