Why it’s so hard to recruit/beat Ohio State

Anyone who doesn't understand why Ohio State can beat us for recruits is just being an unrealistic homer.

Aside from the money, NFL draft success, playoff relevance and everything else being mentioned, sometimes kids just want a particular experience.

I am a UM graduate and and still live in South Florida. Despite that (and to some degree because of it) my daughter wanted nothing to do with local colleges. I couldn't have gotten her to go to UM no matter what they offered because it wasn't the experience she wanted.

She wanted to leave the state and experience a big campus and change of seasons. She ended up at ...wait for it...Ohio State and will graduate this Spring. If you have something negative to say about that I will simply respond that you can **** off because I am not an ******* that puts my desires above my kid's.

If you can't see the appeal of playing football against a traditional rival on a perfect Fall day in front of 100,000+ in a stadium right on a campus that is buzzing with energy all day...well you just have orange and green sunglasses on. ****, I will occasionally see that and be jealous. Even in my days at the Orange Bowl, the game day experience left a lot to be desired. But we were great on the field so it was worth it. I would imagine that it is even harder to get anywhere close to that at HRS with the distance being twice as far and no Metrorail.

Miami is just different. Some kids will want to to play there because they grew up dreaming of it. Some kids will want to play there because they love the weather, culture, atmosphere etc. But some will prefer something else. Get over it. You don't win them all. Take your best shot and move on.
Similar story with my daughter. She graduates from USC this spring. Loved every minute of it. Even though she’s now a Trojan, she still roots for the ‘Canes. It’s in her blood!

Advertisement
They’re win above all else. Their coach is on the hot seat after a 2 loss season. F—- em and all that, but you have to respect their attitude.

they have not only consistently put alot of good players into the NFL but alot of good players.

Cuba Gooding Jr Driveby GIF

Advertisement
Short Answer?

OSU 1st round picks last 20 yrs? 37
Miami 1st round picks last 20 yrs? 18

OSU 1st round picks last 10 yrs? 23
Miami 1st round picks last 10 yrs? 6

OSU record last 20 yrs? 219-39 (.848)
Miami record last 20 yrs? 152-99 (.605)

Winning matters, infrastructure matters, draft picks matter, reputation matters.
Close thread

Have to say I was in the Tampa area last weekend out at multiple places watching the games. For every 10 Ohio state fans I probably saw 3 gator fans. I only saw one other person in Miami gear. Didn’t see a single Florida state fan which shocked me

Advertisement
Even though they’re soft as Charmin and Ryan Day is a p…. They have an unbelievable infrastructure led by Gene Smith. The takedown of Michigan is pretty high level. This Michigan story is 100% driven by them.

You’re basically competing against a high level corporation that is completely focused on one thing.

Funny thing is ohio state fans aren't exactly high on either of them lol

And yet, they have one National Title in the last 20 years and are 3-4 in Playoff appearances. There’s three teams I root for to lose every Saturday. The first two are obvious, but the other is The Suckeyes.
That is with Urban going 81-9. As for wide receivers Brian Hartline gets it done.

Anyone who doesn't understand why Ohio State can beat us for recruits is just being an unrealistic homer.

Aside from the money, NFL draft success, playoff relevance and everything else being mentioned, sometimes kids just want a particular experience.

I am a UM graduate and and still live in South Florida. Despite that (and to some degree because of it) my daughter wanted nothing to do with local colleges. I couldn't have gotten her to go to UM no matter what they offered because it wasn't the experience she wanted.

She wanted to leave the state and experience a big campus and change of seasons. She ended up at ...wait for it...Ohio State and will graduate this Spring. If you have something negative to say about that I will simply respond that you can **** off because I am not an ******* that puts my desires above my kid's.

If you can't see the appeal of playing football against a traditional rival on a perfect Fall day in front of 100,000+ in a stadium right on a campus that is buzzing with energy all day...well you just have orange and green sunglasses on. ****, I will occasionally see that and be jealous. Even in my days at the Orange Bowl, the game day experience left a lot to be desired. But we were great on the field so it was worth it. I would imagine that it is even harder to get anywhere close to that at HRS with the distance being twice as far and no Metrorail.

Miami is just different. Some kids will want to to play there because they grew up dreaming of it. Some kids will want to play there because they love the weather, culture, atmosphere etc. But some will prefer something else. Get over it. You don't win them all. Take your best shot and move on.
Awkward Season 2 GIF by Friends

Advertisement
This absolutely needed to be discussed. Thank you for providing groundbreaking information about how OSU is tough to recruit against

Great job everyone let’s make sure we forward this over to Mario so he’s aware this is what he’s up against

(Appreciate the bench press motivation)

The second-best thing about Harblow and Michigan being taken down for Signgate is that the Wolverine cult will be on the warpath to inflict retribution on their blood rivals and clear instigator of this NCAA/B1G investigation.

NFW Michigan doesn't pour time and resources into digging up dirt on the Bama/UGA/A&M level recruiting shenanigans going on in Columbus, Ohio. The Buckeyes sloppiness always costs 'em on and off the field. This time will be no different.

Watching BOTH Michigan and Ohio State go down in flames will be one of my greatest joys in College Football since we won No. 5

If we caught FSU assistants cheating I pray that our athletic department would make a big deal about it.

Don't waste your breath or God's time, Cane brotha

Our "leaders" would stand around with their ****s in their hands hoping UF would do something

Advertisement
Ohio State has another level of support that goes very far in maintaining a certain level of competition, and that is state support. They are THE state school in Ohio. You have a state government with a vested interest in making sure the school (FB program in particular) is well-resourced and a step above the competition. They have a greater level of solidarity, in that area, than even Alabama (gotta deal with Auburn) and Michigan (gotta deal with MSU). As for Miami, we're way down the totem poll, and we're also a private institution.

OSU, UGA, and Bama are run different than everywhere else. There is seemingly complete synergy and buyin top to bottom in the academic and athletic organizations and they value what football delivers to the schools.

I gave the experience of my former client’s grand daughter who attends Bama. It’s just different; & yes it starts at the very top. It’s amazing what winning does, not just for the program, but the school itself. Bama has transformed their campus at an epic, unbelievable rate since Saban b/c of all the $$ that’s being flooded into in to program, not just from boosters, but endorsements/donors/TV Revenue.

Winning does a whole bunch, & elite program’s’ infrastructure is built upon that. It’s literally seamless from top to bottom.

Short Answer?

OSU 1st round picks last 20 yrs? 37
Miami 1st round picks last 20 yrs? 18

OSU 1st round picks last 10 yrs? 23
Miami 1st round picks last 10 yrs? 6

OSU record last 20 yrs? 219-39 (.848)
Miami record last 20 yrs? 152-99 (.605)

Winning matters, infrastructure matters, draft picks matter, reputation matters.
Not that I disagree but what you state, but that doesn't answer the question why. High draft picks and winning are more the byproducts of doing things right rather the cause. Once doing the "right things" is established, it creates a positive feedback loop that reinforces itself and snowballs into wins, easier recruiting, national championships, etc.

Howard and JJ established it once, Butch reset it when he came. You almost have to intentionally ***** it up ... which we did.

"I'm not going to take less money to sign with the Chargers than I was making at Ohio State!"

~ Joe Bosa (in a video that I saw with my own eyes that is nowhere to be found on the internet anymore).

Big, BIG Bidnizz this college feetball stuff.

Advertisement
Back