Why is this staff over recruiting the Lber position like we run a 4-4 base defense?

I think numbers is one thing but quality is another issue. And they need to start telling players to hit the portal if they havent produced.

Advertisement
Yeah but it's a sub package thing, not a full-time position. We ain't recruiting anybody to come here and specifically play THAT.
The viper is the position 94 played last year correct? I’ve seen Phillips and Roche in that position this..what type of player do u think I’d needed for that role?

Advertisement
the OP sucks as a poster. we have 2 lbers.
same guy who ******* about lb recruiting and depth.

Advertisement
do not follow?
I’m just saying the shift in offensive tactics at the next level has changed what the league looks for in a modern day LB. why a guy like DP is limited in his role in LA and y a kid like shaq will be effected in a similar way. The prototype for ILB In CFB and the NFL has changed since Beason.

I’m just saying the shift in offensive tactics at the next level has changed what the league looks for in a modern day LB. why a guy like DP is limited in his role in LA and y a kid like shaq will be effected in a similar way. The prototype for ILB In CFB and the NFL has changed since Beason.
The game changes. guys who make plays and have instincts figure it out. shaq is a great kid but he wasn’t going to be better 20 years ago. you forget what we used to have at LB. the decency bias in this fan base is amazing considering how putrid our results have been. we graduate no all pros for a decade and the new response is game changed, our guys woulda been great back when?

Also - Beason was a S in HS iirc. He’d be good in any era. And he was just okay relative to some of the UN greats at LB. I mentioned him because he was our last legit all pro (not counting graham, who wasn’t recruited for fb).

Last edited:
I don't think Manny tells McCloud no. I do think he should tell him that his position isn't guaranteed, though.

Correct. 25 years ago the prototype MLB was a big guy who could stack and shed blocks and play the run in a phone booth. Back in the old days of teams using a fullback, the Mike’s first responsibility upon reading a run play was to hit the fullback straight on and send him back into the running lane. Even a guy like Ray Lewis who played at around 225 in college immediately bulked up to around 250 when he got drafted. You had to sacrifice a little quickness for size back in the days of power rushing offenses. Today, the league is all about passing and finesse offenses. A one dimensional run stopper isn’t as useful today. Guys have to be able to cover backs and tightends and even receivers occasionally. A two down run stopper still has some value but nobody is drafting one in the first two rounds.

Advertisement
The game changes. guys who make plays and have instincts figure it out. shaq is a great kid but he wasn’t going to be better 20 years ago. you forget what we used to have at LB. the decency bias in this fan base is amazing considering how putrid our results have been. we graduate no all pros for a decade and the new response is game changed, our guys woulda been great back when?

Also - Beason was a S in HS iirc. He’d be good in any era. And he was just okay relative to some of the UN greats at LB. I mentioned him because he was our last legit all pro (not counting graham, who wasn’t recruited for fb).
I never said beason wouldn’t be great in any era. I wouldn’t bet Money against it. He was indeed a safety in HS. That didn’t stop he and Shaq from running identical 40s at the combine . So from a pure athleticism profile, height, weight speed they we’re almost identical players.

the italic I’ve gotta disagree with. Shaq was a great LB here. That’s facts. DP would’ve been a 3 down linebacker in the league if it were the early 2000s. there’s no doubt a difference in what the league looks for and does with its LBs to combat what offenses do now. All you have to do is look at the guys considered the top 3 dwn iLBS

We have 8 scholarship linebackers currently counting Ragone. Joyner is a DE so I’m not counting him. Mc Cloud is a 5th year senior and is gone. Steed and Jennings will be injured any minute now and are juniors. So that leaves 4 guys you can rely on next season. 5 if you count Ragu.

Chase Smith will likely play striker and Thomas Davis is going to play DE. Although James Williams may eventually end up at linebacker too.

We have 8 scholarship linebackers currently counting Ragone. Joyner is a DE so I’m not counting him. Mc Cloud is a 5th year senior and is gone. Steed and Jennings will be injured any minute now and are juniors. So that leaves 4 guys you can rely on next season. 5 if you count Ragu.

Chase Smith will likely play striker and Thomas Davis is going to play DE. Although James Williams may eventually end up at linebacker too.
this. +1

Advertisement
I never said beason wouldn’t be great in any era. I wouldn’t bet Money against it. He was indeed a safety in HS. That didn’t stop he and Shaq from running identical 40s at the combine . So from a pure athleticism profile, height, weight speed they we’re almost identical players.

the italic I’ve gotta disagree with. Shaq was a great LB here. That’s facts. DP would’ve been a 3 down linebacker in the league if it were the early 2000s. there’s no doubt a difference in what the league looks for and does with its LBs to combat what offenses do now. All you have to do is look at the guys considered the top 3 dwn iLBS
That comment is what's wrong with fan analysis, IMO.

What makes a football player effective is what goes on in his head. How he processes the play, how fast, how he responds laterally, vertically, avoids blockers, gets to the ball, hits, anticipates. To suggest that Shaq and Beason were almost identical players in any respect is insane, imo. Saying 'athletically' is meaningless, also. Their football speed and lateral movement and hips were wildly different. There's zero purpose to that comment.

And shaq was not a great LB here. You may be too young to recall what great LBs looked like here. he was solid, pretty good, and a really good kid. ray lewis was great here inside. morgan was. barrow was. vilma was. there's a looong list of guys who played ILB at UM who were better than shaq, and I really like shaq, but let's not re-write history.

Advertisement
Back