Why is Miami still so hated ?

Think he means other fan bases. And majority of other fans do talk dog shít about Miami whenever Miami is brought up. A lot of does have to do with our fans tho being delusional I think that ****es them off more lol
Yea im not saying we not hated at all, but it can get annoying seeing mfs talk so much **** when they ain’t been good in forever lol. It is “cool” to hate on miami for some people tho lol

Advertisement
"Thug U"

Might as well just say "hard R" U
It's a bit of this but I also think it's just the view people have of Miami in general, especially after how it was portrayed by the media in 80's and what not. Nationally the city was made out to be nothing but a drug fueled coke capital full of immigrants. Mine as well have been Medellin to middle america. Like America's Wild West playground. People viewed it as a place to escape to, but not a place that is serious about its business. But our football team was... and that scared the rest of America. Teams across the country have had black players, but what was it about the ones at Miami that made them mad? It's because Miami is a place of its own and a bit untamed. A relatively new metropolitan American city that doesn't look or act like the others. A city that was truly established and built up by the immigrants, and not necessarily white ones. The football team was just an outlet for haters to openly express their views of the city and its inhabitants.

I actually think the younger generations want to see the U do well (both the ones growing up in urban areas that relate to the team and probably the sons of SEC lovers who heard their dads **** talk the U their whole lives). Urban culture dominates American culture in the big cities. It sets trends. I'm from the midwest and grew up after the championships. The U was still seen as the cool anti establishment brand. Same as the fab five. Once we start winning again, you'll see it.

Last edited:
It's a bit of this but I also think it's just the view people have of Miami in general, especially after how it was portrayed by the media in 80's and what not. Nationally the city was made out to be nothing but a drug fueled coke capital full of immigrants. Mine as well have been Medellin to middle america. Like America's Wild West playground. People viewed it as a place to escape to, but not a place that is serious about its business. But our football team was... and that scared the rest of America. Teams across the country have had black players, but what was it about the ones at Miami that made them mad? It's because Miami is a place of its own. A city that was truly established and built up by the immigrants, and not necessarily white ones. The football team was just an outlet for haters to openly express their views of the city and its inhabitants.

I actually think the younger generations want to see the U. I'm from the midwest and grew up after the championships. The U was still seen as the cool anti establishment brand. Same as the fab five. Once we start winning again, you'll see it.
I get that but the cocaine cowboys days were 40+ years ago. It's more of the "cities are all dangerous, crime infested, **** holes full of people who don't look or act like you" tripe that's fed to people who have never been to a city by certain news outlets.

I get that but the cocaine cowboys days were 40+ years ago. It's more of the "cities are all dangerous, crime infested, **** holes full of people who don't look or act like you" tripe that's fed to people who have never been to a city by certain news outlets.
And they still see it that way. **** em. It's not for everyone.

Simply put. The U is representative of a culture that makes them uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Really 3 pages and no….

end yes GIF

Be better

"Thug U"

Might as well just say "hard R" U

Straight truth...

They use other kinds of code words too..."gold teeth"..."chains"..."urban"..."cornrows"..."dreads"..."swagger"...

We all know what they really mean...

Straight truth...

They use other kinds of code words too..."gold teeth"..."chains"..."urban"..."cornrows"..."dreads"..."swagger"...

We all know what they really mean...
Don't forget "five rangz"

It's none of our business why Miami is dis/liked. Moreover, the team shouldn't give one **** about it, as it is completely out of their control.

The team team should solely be focused on what they can control, like maximizing their skill sets to optimize their potential.

My two cents.

Advertisement
I think CFB loves Miami we bring drama to the sport. Why do you think if Miami gets a mustards seed of success they put us on prime time.

There is ONLY ONE team we respected and still do to this day and they are UCLA .
They came to the OB during terrible conditions we gave them a chance to cancel.
UCLA said we committed to play you we will come Honor our commitment.

The Edge ran for 235 yards we trashed UCLA but they earned our RESPECT, they did NOT have to and we totally understood.

Only UCLA has earned our RESPECT to this day.

Any old folks remember , help an old man out here ?

GOCANES
Was an early season game cancelled due to a hurricane threat, they then offered to play at yhe end of the season..

We’ve been pretty irrelevant for the last 17 or so years , but we still seem to be pretty hated all throughout college football more so than any other program.
Because they know when we rise it throws a wrench in the whole ******* sport.

Advertisement
Great topic OP. I tell my wife, who went to Florida, that it's easy to be a Gator fan but hard to be a Miami fan.
Miami fans are committed, typically a rag tag buch of people who never went to school there but fell in love with the program for one reason or another.
We get trashed by everyone for everything, but still persevere. That's why I get so ****ed off at Miami fans that talk down their own program.
My son went to a different school and my daughter is going to one next year as well, but they're die-hard Canes...that's just the way it is.

The saying is really true, It's a Cane thing...

It's the flash and sizzle of Miami as a city and isn't just relegated to the Canes—although "The U" started that hate in the '80s.

College football was the slow Big Ten, the slow Big 8, the soft Pac-10, the forgettable ACC, the not-what-it-became SEC, the useless MAC, WAC, etc. and then Miami rolling in as an Independent and laying waste to the sports as people knew it.

If you grew up in the Midwest, the South, the Northeast—you grew up hating a Canes program that probably kicked your team's *** somewhere along the way.

Imagine what Colorado tried to be this year with attitude and swagger—and then imagine them winning 58 games in a row at home, four titles in nine years (while leaving a few on the field) and having an NFL brotherhood and fraternity that other players and fans were envious of.

Go back and watch "The U" and The U Part 2"—there is NO college program like Miami, nor is there a sports city that has all the glitz and glam that South Florida has. Only thing that rivaled it was the Jerry Buss '80s era Lakers and Los Angeles for that time period—except Miami has the Canes, the Heat, the Panthers, the Marlins and now Inter Miami CF... plus night life, South Beach, great weather, miles of beaches, the Florida Keys, Coconut Grove, etc.

Most sports fans—college and pro—live in miserable cities with miserable weather and a slew of fat, miserable overweight fans who have to suffer through the four seasons and a grind of an existence—where there respective teams are everything.

You think average Americans wanted to see the flashy Miami Heat make it to the NBA Finals? There's a reason everyone became a Milwaukee fan, a New York fan, a Boston fan and a Denver fan.

If that is ANY other eighth-seed that played into The Finals going against the top seeds—please—it's hands-across-America for the underdog and everybody is pulling or Cinderella to land the upset.

The City of Miami is the villain; the Hurricanes a large piece of that—disliked while they suck, but supremely loathed the minute they get back on top again.

Nature of the beast and always will be as this hate started decades ago and will never stop.

Advertisement
Great topic OP. I tell my wife, who went to Florida, that it's easy to be a Gator fan but hard to be a Miami fan.
Miami fans are committed, typically a rag tag buch of people who never went to school there but fell in love with the program for one reason or another.
We get trashed by everyone for everything, but still persevere. That's why I get so ****ed off at Miami fans that talk down their own program.
My son went to a different school and my daughter is going to one next year as well, but they're die-hard Canes...that's just the way it is.

The saying is really true, It's a Cane thing...

You could replace "Florida" with any stereotypical rah-rah college football experience in any small college town.

I grew up in Miami, started my collegiate career in Tuscaloosa for a year, transferred back to South Florida and then earned my degree at UF over a few years in Gainesville.

The entire world stops in a college town on Saturdays in fall—as the football program is the lifeblood of the the entire city.

That was never the case in Miami, nor will it be as they entertainment dollar can be spread all around and there are not only several other pro sports franchises, but a slew of other ways to spend ones time.

It's not "easier" to be a Florida fan; it's just different as it comes more naturally as an alumni of a university as there is a different bond to a school you went to for several years—while Canes fans are mostly non-alum who pull for the program as Miamians who treat "The U" like another local, professional sports franchise.

Miami gets "trashed for everything" as the University of Miami is anti-establishment in regards to a traditional college football power—and the Canes started winning big out of nowhere despite that, while becoming THE college football power of the '80s and early '90s—which is why the traditionalists and outsiders hate this little private school in South Florida for changing what was and winning big for so long.

Don’t you guys get it? The CFB is crying for us to dominate them once again, justify their hate towards us.
IMB_OI4IYV.png

It's because only a small percentage of people from the rest of the country ever spend any serious time here, ans have all kinds of bizarre perceptions of us and the place. It's not rooted in reality.

It's not "easier" to be a Florida fan; it's just different as it comes more naturally as an alumni of a university as there is a different bond to a school you went to for several years—while Canes fans are mostly non-alum who pull for the program as Miamians who treat "The U" like another local, professional sports franchise.
I couldn't disagree with you more on this, it reeks of a "you didn't go to school there" attitude. I've been attending games with the same crew for 30 years and you know how many went to Miami...one. I'd put their fandom up against anyone's anywhere.

Advertisement
Back