Why is butch so special

ButchCanes.jpg

Advertisement
You all are comical. The only thing that has been offered by the pro-Butch crowd is that he had few scholarships to offer, particularly in 1996 & 1997, as an excuse for his poor gameday performances. Yet, as has been pointed out ad nauseum on this board, he still actually recruited very well in those years. Those two classes consisted of 13 NFL players, 6 of them first rounders (Edgerrin James, Bubba Franks, Damione Lewis, Dan Morgan, Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne). Yet, come gameday, he was still owned by coaches like Beamer, Bobby, and the coaches at Syracuse and ECU. You can't have it both ways. You can't crown him as the greatest recruiter who ever lived and simultaneously make the excuse that he had nothing to work with in explaining his uninspiring on-field results. And, I suspect that the administration is less lenient now than in the mid-90's in terms of helping a coach get great players in. So, even if he could come back and identify great players, it is no guarantee he'd be able to get them in-- much less re-create the recruiting classes of the 90's. The talent will be fine, but probably not great, regardless of the coach. Miami needs someone who will not get outcoached every other Saturday.

Am I saying Butch wouldn't be an improvement over what we're witnessing now? Of course not. But the farsical thought of Butch as a panacea is flawed-- and largely the product of years of watching truly substandard teams.

I think you just made the point right there. Despite significant scholarship reductions he was able to build a competitive team and once past those sanctions created a monster of a team. Keep in mind that 2001 team were the guys as juniors and seniors coming off the end of the sanctions. You expected us to have a championship team with more than a 1/3 of our scholarships gone in in the late 90's? The first class off of sanctions are just freshman. Not much senior leadership when you can only field 2/3 of a scholarship team. As they senior leadership (with scholarship players) rose, guess what, so did our wins.

I'm not excusing any bad losses. I was ****ed when we lost to ECU. The Syracuse *** whooping was embarrassing, but I always felt like the team had a shot. Even if not the "panacea" at a bare minimum, he would be the bridge. He's proven an eye for talent and ability to develop players. I'll take that all day and we'll deal with what you consider a gameday coach issue later. Didn't look like a bad gameday coach when his team went toe to toe with LSU while missing 13 starters and projected top of the draft talent. It's not like he was schematically or fundamentally bad like our current situation.

Butch Davis never lost a Bowl Game at Miami. Despite being what some people on this board call a poor game day coach.

Butch Davis never lost a Bowl Game at Miami. Despite being what some people on this board call a poor game day coach.

He was one 1-2 in bowl games at UNC and if not for a bad rule where you could take an offensive penalty to stop the clock without a 10 second run off(now changed) he would've gone 0-3. Guy ran the ball, his RB didn't get out of bounds. Tried the rush the FG team on the field. The QB spiked the ball with about 16-17 guys on the field and :01 on the clock. Was pushed back 5 yards and made a FG to tie the game. UNC won in overtime. That was his last game as a head coach. So yeah saying he has issues as a gameday coach isn't a stretch.

All starts at 6:28

[video=youtube;QAKFxb0FX4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAKFxb0FX4s[/video]

Last edited:

He was one 1-2 in bowl games at UNC and if not for a bad rule where you could take an offensive penalty to stop the clock without a 10 second run off(now changed) he would've gone 0-3. Guy ran the ball, his RB didn't get out of bounds. Tried the rush the FG team on the field. The QB spiked the ball with about 16-17 guys on the field and :01 on the clock. Was pushed back 5 yards and made a FG to tie the game. UNC won in overtime. That was his last game as a head coach. So yeah saying he has issues as a gameday coach isn't a stretch.

So he actually made a smart game day coaching decision in a clutch situation and directly helped his team win a Bowl Game. Interesting. We certainly can't have that at Miami.

Advertisement

So he actually made a smart game day coaching decision in a clutch situation and directly helped his team win a Bowl Game. Interesting. We certainly can't have that at Miami.

Sounds like a good gameday coaching move to me. Who gives a **** if there was no 10 second run off. That rule didn't exist then and if it was never implemented, the comment about the 10 second rule wouldn't have been made, because it was what it was, not a rule.

Sounds like a good gameday coaching move to me. Who gives a **** if there was no 10 second run off. That rule didn't exist then and if it was never implemented, the comment about the 10 second rule wouldn't have been made, because it was what it was, not a rule.

So you two think that he is football's version of Hannibal from the A-Team? Where a plan comes together and ends in success when all the parts of the plan seem crazy when looked at separately? Instead of just spiking the ball and kicking a field goal he decided to run guys out on the field and then have his quarterback spike the ball to get a penalty? For what purpose?

He could spike the ball without the holder and kicker behind him and accomplish the same thing. That entire team was panicked. It wasn't 4th down. Butch and that coaching staff were an absolute dumpster fire in that situation. They didn't get to kick the field goal because of the penalty or a "good gameday coaching move". They got to kick because the ball was spiked before time hit :00. It wouldn't have been up for review if his team was well coached. The running back was tackled with :13 seconds on the clock and then the **** show began.

Clearly the undying defense of a coach isn't exclusive to our current one.

Butch was great evaluator of talent, maybe best of all time but was a mediocore gameday coach. He always went soft before halftime instead of putting in the dagger like vs ECU in 99 when we could have buried them with another score before half and lost in the 2nd half or vs Wash in 200o when he started going for 2 pt conversions early in the game missed 2 and later in game with those 2 pts could have been in position to tie and go into OT.

Minor correction Gatorhater. He recruited five. We beat the Bucknuts.

Point taken, but make it 6 because we beat the Domers, the other cheaters, too. Heck, JJ lost two others ones,TN and PSU, he shouldn't have, so let's make it 8. ****! Butch can recruit. Crap, no wonder everyone wants him back. Butch, Butch, Butch ..... If Golden had half a brain, he would hire Butch as DC and turn over defense and recruiting to the man (Al can make the home visits and talked up the parents. The players and parents do like him) Al could save his career and get NFL HC job in three years.

Advertisement
Wow, the 12-year olds with no frame of reference are out in full effect today.

Hey, lets start another Botch is God thread! Awesome.

Leavitt?? Leavitt is your choice? No wonder you don't want to say anything!

Now THAT is retarded! I'd be too embarrassed to say anything either!

Leavitt wouldn't make a decent pimple on Butch's ***!

Get a life. Leavitt had USF ranked #2 in the nation. USF. Oh, and he currently has a job in the NFL, unlike some people, who can't seem to find a job. Wonder why? You're kidding yourself if you don't think Leavitt would do very well here. I'm not going to go on and on about him because, unlike you, I'm not prone to man crushes.

Hey! Genius! He held #2 for all of one week! Then lost to the mighty Rutgers!

That's it??? That's your answer? That's who you want at Miami?

The reason you're "not going to go on and on about him" is because there's nothing to go on and on about!

Ho Li Crap! No wonder you wanted to keep your mouth shut!

USF didn't even have a football team when he took the job. He set a record for fastest ascention of a program into the top 25 in CFB history. He didn't take over a program like Miami. Nor did he have the best talent in CFB history and fail to win it all. Simply stated, one coach does more with less; one does less with more.

Identification of talent is one thing; getting them into school is another. Given the attitude of the administration these days, Miami is better off with someone who can actually coach.

"Ho Li crap," you are 12.

This 12-year old could dust your *** off.

You are the kind of person who bought a Yugo. No track record, no performance history, no proven durability, no nothing. Too damned dumb to take into consideration long-term performance in exchange for going cheapie.

You'd walk by a Toyota truck, and lay all your money on another piece of siht, and suffer for it long-term. You are the kind of fan that's become so accustomed to getting left on the side of the road, you actually enjoy waving at others passing you by while you admire the pretty flowers growing in the ditch.

Leavitt has no track record of proven performance. NONE.

But then again, there's no telling how you would have turned out if you'd only gotten a bit of oxygen during birth.

Im only 17 and i didnt grow up in the Miami area so i wasnt able to watch the U's Golden (no pun intended) days. Still, just wanted to know why people want Butch so bad. i mean, im sure he is a great coach but the way people on this site talk about him you would think that he will come in and make miami national championship material next year.

If you have to ask this question, then you definitely are not a Canes fan and do not belong on this board discussing these topics with grown men.

Go put on your underoos and get to bed, before I take off my chancleta and go to town on your underage ***.

Leavitt?? Leavitt is your choice? No wonder you don't want to say anything!

Now THAT is retarded! I'd be too embarrassed to say anything either!

Leavitt wouldn't make a decent pimple on Butch's ***!

Get a life. Leavitt had USF ranked #2 in the nation. USF. Oh, and he currently has a job in the NFL, unlike some people, who can't seem to find a job. Wonder why? You're kidding yourself if you don't think Leavitt would do very well here. I'm not going to go on and on about him because, unlike you, I'm not prone to man crushes.

The reason you're "not going to go on and on about him" is because there's nothing to go on and on about!

USF didn't even have a football team when he took the job. He set a record for fastest ascention of a program into the top 25 in CFB history. He didn't take over a program like Miami. Nor did he have the best talent in CFB history and fail to win it all. Simply stated, one coach does more with less; one does less with more.

Identification of talent is one thing; getting them into school is another. Given the attitude of the administration these days, Miami is better off with someone who can actually coach.

You are the kind of person who bought a Yugo. No track record, no performance history, no proven durability, no nothing. Too damned dumb to take into consideration long-term performance in exchange for going cheapie.

You'd walk by a Toyota truck, and lay all your money on another piece of siht, and suffer for it long-term. You are the kind of fan that's become so accustomed to getting left on the side of the road, you actually enjoy waving at others passing you by while you admire the pretty flowers growing in the ditch.

But then again, there's no telling how you would have turned out if you'd only gotten a bit of oxygen during birth.

Ok, internet tough guy. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Keep dreaming of Butch and his 8-5 seasons.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Ok, internet tough guy. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Keep dreaming of Butch and his 8-5 seasons.

You never seem to be able to stand to any arguments, only resort to candyass vagaries and deflections with references to youth or feelings.

You're the one wearing his shorts backwards, because if Butch took over today, we'd likely still end up with an 8-5 season THIS YEAR.

Leavitt. ****, man. You're pathetic.

Advertisement
Back