Why is butch so special

At worst, Butch would stockpile enough talent for the next coach (Dorsey?) to win a championship..

Advertisement
And all you have is long obsessive rants about a fantasy. I'm sorry I upset you with silly things like facts. Go cry to someone else.

Some facts. I've asked and asked your choice of a coach who can match Butch's resume - and like the material inside your cranium - nothing.

Who is better that Miami can get? Genius? Lay it on us!

Chickenschitt.

Leavitt should be at the top of the list, and not just for DC.

TTroll wants Leavitt. Leavitt - a coach with Zero rings btw.

Wow, the 12-year olds with no frame of reference are out in full effect today.

Hey, lets start another Botch is God thread! Awesome.

Leavitt?? Leavitt is your choice? No wonder you don't want to say anything!

Now THAT is retarded! I'd be too embarrassed to say anything either!

Leavitt wouldn't make a decent pimple on Butch's ***!

Get a life. Leavitt had USF ranked #2 in the nation. USF. Oh, and he currently has a job in the NFL, unlike some people, who can't seem to find a job. Wonder why? You're kidding yourself if you don't think Leavitt would do very well here. I'm not going to go on and on about him because, unlike you, I'm not prone to man crushes.

And all you have is long obsessive rants about a fantasy. I'm sorry I upset you with silly things like facts. Go cry to someone else.

Some facts. I've asked and asked your choice of a coach who can match Butch's resume - and like the material inside your cranium - nothing.

Chickenschitt.

Trock you sound extremely uninformed, have not answered multiple questions asked to you, conveniently leave out important pieces of information like 31 scholarship reductions over 3 years, have hijacked the thread with nothing useful to actually input, and have had nothing but childish remarks in your responses. Nothing is more irritating than someone selectively ignoring statements they don't have an answer for.

If you don't like Butch, that's great. You are entitled to your opinion. If you have facts to back up your arguments and counter statements made towards your own stance, great, but my honest first thought of you after reading 3-4 posts is that you sound like some dumbass kid on xbox or something.

Read my initial post; don't just jump in at the end. Try to keep up.

Everyone wants to make excuses for his poor gameday performances.

Chickenschitt.

Get a life. Leavitt had USF ranked #2 in the nation. USF. Oh, and he currently has a job in the NFL, unlike some people, who can't seem to find a job. Wonder why? You're kidding yourself if you don't think Leavitt would do very well here. I'm not going to go on and on about him because, unlike you, I'm not prone to man crushes.

So das all u got rank 2? Lol

Advertisement
Im only 17 and i didnt grow up in the Miami area so i wasnt able to watch the U's Golden (no pun intended) days. Still, just wanted to know why people want Butch so bad. i mean, im sure he is a great coach but the way people on this site talk about him you would think that he will come in and make miami national championship material next year.

Tomi here is simple breakdown:

-Super Bowl winning DC for the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson

- in his early years here at Miami as a first time HC, he dealt with crushing sanctions (that he did not create) of 31 scholarship reductions over 3 years. With that said, only once did he ever fall below 8 wins (1997 - year 3 of the sanctions when the impact is greatest). He followed that up with 9 wins over the next 2 years and an 11-1 team in 2000 in which we among others had an argument to go to the national championship game considering we beat FSU who went instead only to get their *** beat.

-He built the team that we all call the greatest of all time and Coker was in cruise control on his way to the next two title games.

-record number of first round draft picks from his time here and a big reason we were one of the most represented colleges in the NFL for a very long time.

-Numerous future pro bowlers and even some HOF guys in that group.

-Monster talent evaluator and talent developer which was cemented for me after I watched what he did with UNC. At UNC starting in 2007, he took a team that had not seen anything better than 6 wins since 2001 (wins of 3,2,6,5,and 3 from 2001 -2007) and by year 2, they were an 8 win team. He was taking a team that was essentially Duke and by 2010 had a team with 8-9 projected first rounders. If it weren't for the NCAA investigation at UNC, I honestly believe they were a title contender. They **** near beat LSU (11-2) that year while half of his starters were suspended (13 total suspended - most were starters and a few of them were 1st round projected guys). I was honestly concerned with how good that team was about to be with Butch there at that time.

-To answer Trocks question of why he has no job, is because noone wants to touch him because he was associated with the UNC scandal, even though he was cleared by the NCAA.

-People here want him, because of those things he did, he desperately wants to come back to UM after the way things went down, he's available, he's proven he can win at Miami and UNC, and he'll likely come cheap.

-People who don't want him believe that a first year HC should be perfect on day one, so that means he was a crap gameday coach in there eyes. He also left UM on bad terms after saying he would stay and bolted for the NFL just before signing day.

-His only non successful stop was his HC period with the Browns. What people don't realize is that team has been a **** show since they started. Even a HOF coach in Mike Holmgren could not fix that crap. Butch took the team over as an expansion program and failed. Cleveland still sucks to this day (front office issues?)

Chickenschitt.

Hey! Genius! He held #2 for all of one week! Then lost to the mighty Rutgers!

That's it??? That's your answer? That's who you want at Miami?

The reason you're "not going to go on and on about him" is because there's nothing to go on and on about!

Ho Li Crap! No wonder you wanted to keep your mouth shut!

Advertisement

The reason you're "not going to go on and on about him" is because there's nothing to go on and on about!

USF didn't even have a football team when he took the job. He set a record for fastest ascention of a program into the top 25 in CFB history. He didn't take over a program like Miami. Nor did he have the best talent in CFB history and fail to win it all. Simply stated, one coach does more with less; one does less with more.

Identification of talent is one thing; getting them into school is another. Given the attitude of the administration these days, Miami is better off with someone who can actually coach.

"Ho Li crap," you are 12.

USF didn't even have a football team when he took the job. He set a record for fastest ascention of a program into the top 25 in CFB history. He didn't take over a program like Miami. Nor did he have the best talent in CFB history and fail to win it all. Simply stated, one coach does more with less; one does less with more.

Identification of talent is one thing; getting them into school is another. Given the attitude of the administration these days, Miami is better off with someone who can actually coach.

**** alert!

**** alert!

Getting them into school!!!! Are you seriously comparing the difference of getting an athlete into school at USF compared to getting an athlete into UM?

Butch had a great eye for talent at Miami and at UNC. But I remember a story from his days at Miami that always struck me about him. As a kid, he was overly meticulous and organized. He arranged his clothes each day in anticipation of tomorrow. Color codes socks and stuff in the drawer. He took over a good team, and because of scholarship reductions, he took the hit. But he recruited well on both offense and defense. He really added depth every where. First round depth in some cases. As a fan, why wouldn't I want that again?

Advertisement

Chickenschitt.

Trock you sound extremely uninformed, have not answered multiple questions asked to you, conveniently leave out important pieces of information like 31 scholarship reductions over 3 years, have hijacked the thread with nothing useful to actually input, and have had nothing but childish remarks in your responses. Nothing is more irritating than someone selectively ignoring statements they don't have an answer for.

If you don't like Butch, that's great. You are entitled to your opinion. If you have facts to back up your arguments and counter statements made towards your own stance, great, but my honest first thought of you after reading 3-4 posts is that you sound like some dumbass kid on xbox or something.

Read my initial post; don't just jump in at the end. Try to keep up.

Everyone wants to make excuses for his poor gameday performances.

I did read your post which is why I stated you left out important details. I'd love to see virtually any coaches record against FSU in that time period while having a 31 scholarship sanction against them. Go ahead, find me someone with a better record during that period with sanctions. **** most teams couldn't do it without sanctions.

Good job also failing to mention VT was actually decent during that period. VT only had one season between 95-01 with less than 9 wins. So again, another good team while dealing with major sanctions.

ECU - **** happens. Ask FSU how they feel about NC ST. Ask Michigan about Appalachian St.

Syracuse - Again **** happens. We had a **** game and we followed it up by beating UCLA the next week. FSU gave up 34 to a garbage BC offense last year and they were considered a really good defense.

I'm not making excuses, I'm just looking at the whole picture. You want to pick some things and ignore others.

Trock trying to mess with Archer?

God, where is my popcorn? It could only be better in person. :shoveling-snow:

Yes, I'm a *******.....but it's Mr. B to you Trock.

Advertisement
Say "hello" to coach Davis. This probably has something to do with it...

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4LQi8PMLJA[/video]

What a difference between Butch Davis and the hack that we have for a "head coach", if you can even call him that. The passion in his speech to the team after the game was as real as it gets. Of course, you can't expect a couple on Nancy's from Penn State to be able to feel this in their veins. After all, "it's a U thang, they wouldn't understand."

If butch never left... Miami would have had the same dynasty they had in the 80's. SABAN and Carroll would have never had the roll they had if he was still here and never left. Other than 01 I think we would have had no less than 4 more championships. With that being said, I don't he will or should come back.... We need a younger and smarter head coach than what we have now and butch.... I hated butch from 97 all the way up 2 the fsu game in 00.he finally turned the corner that yr then left us.... No hard feelings but can't live in the past with head coaches.

Didn't mean to like your post.

TRock, quit while you're behind. You have gotten seriously curb stomped by Archer. You sound like a drooling idiot with all of your insults with little to no facts to substantiate your vitriol for Butch Davis. Golden is only missing 3 schollies over a 3 year span. Butch had 31 over a 3 year span.

Now, I know that it might be a bit difficult for a person with your limited intellect to do the math here, but it is general math. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the huge difference between what Butch faced and what the used car salesman is dealing with.

For a good example, just look at USC, they too have had massive scholarship reductions (just like Butch did when he took over as coach). But they (just like Butch) know how to recruit and develop players, so they are weathering the storm just fine. Golden is all talk and no substance. There is only one man that can be trusted to right this sinking ship, and his name is...BUTCH DAVIS!!!

You all are comical. The only thing that has been offered by the pro-Butch crowd is that he had few scholarships to offer, particularly in 1996 & 1997, as an excuse for his poor gameday performances. Yet, as has been pointed out ad nauseum on this board, he still actually recruited very well in those years. Those two classes consisted of 13 NFL players, 6 of them first rounders (Edgerrin James, Bubba Franks, Damione Lewis, Dan Morgan, Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne). Yet, come gameday, he was still owned by coaches like Beamer, Bobby, and the coaches at Syracuse and ECU. You can't have it both ways. You can't crown him as the greatest recruiter who ever lived and simultaneously make the excuse that he had nothing to work with in explaining his uninspiring on-field results. And, I suspect that the administration is less lenient now than in the mid-90's in terms of helping a coach get great players in. So, even if he could come back and identify great players, it is no guarantee he'd be able to get them in-- much less re-create the recruiting classes of the 90's. The talent will be fine, but probably not great, regardless of the coach. Miami needs someone who will not get outcoached every other Saturday.

Am I saying Butch wouldn't be an improvement over what we're witnessing now? Of course not. But the farsical thought of Butch as a panacea is flawed-- and largely the product of years of watching truly substandard teams.

Advertisement
Back