Why don't we love Hard Rock?

Lack of character/grit and the music are my only two complaints.
I miss the music at the OB.
There's zero reason why I should be at a UM game and not hear Trick Daddy.

Also, there needs to be a Flanigans near by. (or any sports bar for that matter)

Advertisement
1. It's a reason for rivals to knock Miami; UM "renting" a stadium and not having its own home—which is somehow a dig—and 2. the fact it's simply NOT the Orange Bowl.

Everyone has their dumb sentiments that Miami football leaving the OB was some final nail in the coffin; as if the Canes hadn't been a sub-par team for about three years before blowing north.

15-7 at the OB—from the OT loss to Clemson in 2004, to the 2008 beatdown from Virginia in the 2007 home finale—eight of those 15 wins against Marshall, Duke (three times), FIU (twice) and South Florida... while Miami was 24-18 overall from that loss to the Tigers to the end of the 2007 season (Randy's first year).

It's the same reason everyone loves the early 2000-era Nike jerseys; Miami was winning big then—but hated the mid-2000s and the "bra-strap" look, as that was the image of 9-3 to 7-6 kind of underachieving program.

I didn't see Miami lose a home football from the time I was 11 years old in sixth grade (9/7/85) until I was entering my junior year of college (9/24/94) and was a few months shy of my 21st birthday. Who WOULDN'T revere the Orange Bowl with THAT kind of history?

Once HardRock received its $400,000,000 face lift years back—better coverage and full blown upgrades—it became a **** of a home stadium and the only issue is that UM football has continued to suck.

Anybody who was at that stadium on November 11th, 2017 to watch the dismantling of #3 Notre Dame—you saw first-hand that the stadium isn't the problem; the garbage product the Canes were putting on the field was. The venue has hosted SIX Super Bowls, is in the running for 2027 and hosts the Orange Bowl annually.

Any notion HardRock isn't good enough for six UM home games annually is laughable... and yes, The Swamp is a complete dump site. So is Doak Campbell Stadium for that matter—but they get credit for being on campus in those one-horse college football towns.
"Anybody who was at that stadium on November 11th, 2017 to watch the dismantling of #3 Notre Dame—you saw first-hand that the stadium isn't the problem; the garbage product the Canes were putting on the field was."

Eddie Murphy Shut Up GIF by Bounce

Advertisement
"Anybody who was at that stadium on November 11th, 2017 to watch the dismantling of #3 Notre Dame—you saw first-hand that the stadium isn't the problem; the garbage product the Canes were putting on the field was."

Eddie Murphy Shut Up GIF by Bounce
That night/atmosphere will never be replicated imo. We had not beaten ND since 1989, we hosted Gameday, TO chain hysteria, w'd just whooped VT the week prior, people believed in the head coach and had some hope. Never again imo.

That night/atmosphere will never be replicated imo. We had not beaten ND since 1989, we hosted Gameday, TO chain hysteria, w'd just whooped VT the week prior, people believed in the head coach and had some hope. Never again imo.
If we're undefeated going into the Clemson game you will see that happen again. Heck the VT game that year was almost as crazy as the ND game.

You act like we have some big alumni base in Broward and west Palm. Admittedly it's bigger in West Palm than most places down south. But our alumni base is FAR larger up north and certain places in the mid west then either. Point being why cater to any of them? The key any year for Miami when it relates to attendance will always be locals. Period. If Miami is winning then the groupies come out in abundance. So west Palm and Broward become less relevant no matter where we're at. Just like it was when we were in the ob.
I live 35 miles south of Hard ****... am I a local (with or without Vaseline)?

Advertisement
Lack of character/grit and the music are my only two complaints.
I miss the music at the OB.
There's zero reason why I should be at a UM game and not hear Trick Daddy.

Also, there needs to be a Flanigans near by. (or any sports bar for that matter)
Hallandale and US1 to the north and 135th and Biscayne to the south.

Having your own stadium provides multiple OPTIONS for creating revenue, even in the face of declining attendance. In my humble opinion, I think my assumptions about profit are a safe one. You read this article and look at the numbers and the ways in which college and pros are being creative to make big money and then ask yourself, how many of these different things can Miami currently initiate without permission?

You need to weigh the costs though. Other colleges built stadiums on property they already owned. UM would need to buy up a HUGE parcel of property in one of the nation's most expensive real estate markets and that's before they even lay a single brick for a stadium. Most of major college football stadiums were also built decades ago, some are over a century old so they have long been paid off. Texas A&M was able to spend $450 million to renovate Kyle Field because the stadium was literally built in 1904. These programs can turn huge profits on their stadiums because the costs of building them or buying the property for them no longer exist. You can turn a much bigger profit on a rental house that's already paid off versus one you buy at today's prices that's being financed.

I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, just that we can't apply what works at most colleges to Miami.

You need to weigh the costs though. Other colleges built stadiums on property they already owned. UM would need to buy up a HUGE parcel of property in one of the nation's most expensive real estate markets and that's before they even lay a single brick for a stadium. Most of major college football stadiums were also built decades ago, some are over a century old so they have long been paid off. Texas A&M was able to spend $450 million to renovate Kyle Field because the stadium was literally built in 1904. These programs can turn huge profits on their stadiums because the costs of building them or buying the property for them no longer exist. You can turn a much bigger profit on a rental house that's already paid off versus one you buy at today's prices that's being financed.

I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, just that we can't apply what works at most colleges to Miami.
Fair points. What i will say is we have to look beyond our lifetime. Even if it isn’t immediately profitable due to the reasons you laid out, it should prove to be profitable long term.

I live 35 miles south of Hard ****... am I a local (with or without Vaseline)?
I'd imagine that means you're in homestead or something similar. I'd say if the stadium was at tamiami which was the point than yes you'd be considered a local. As is with hard rock I'd see that as a bigger issue because the people who will come to the games I think (just an opinion)all live roughly at distances similar or even further. I think most Miami residents need inspiration beyond simply winning to get on board with a stadium in the middle of opa locka or whatever part of town that's considered now. Dolphins fans for the longest were supportive of the team even in bad times. Now it's just hit or miss on if the team is good. Gotta give fans an area they can get behind. Create an environment surrounding the stadium which is why I really like the sofi people behind this current project. It's not just a stadium. It's an entire experience for a family or couples that's not even dependent on game days.

Advertisement
Fair points. What i will say is we have to look beyond our lifetime. Even if it isn’t immediately profitable due to the reasons you laid out, it should prove to be profitable long term.
Plenty of stadiums run at a loss. It's why they're so dependent on concerts and other events. That revenue is pivotal. But it won't work everywhere. Look at ucf (I believe it's them)they're entirely handcuffed to a edc. When that festival yearly generates lawsuits. Stadiums aren't independent of that. In Miami the issue is even larger. Because first choice in venues for events and concerts isn't Joe Robbie or whatever it's currently called. It's American airlines or whatever that arena is currently called and that's not even close either. Honestly if not for rolling loud and f1 the dolphins stadium wouldn't generate much else.

I'd much rather the stadium be further south, but I also understand the economics and the demographics of where it's sitting right now. Tough call. If you tell me I gotta drive extra 20+ mins, but that we can keep fans willing to haul themselves down from lower/central/south florida to come to games all season long ...so we can keep the Canes family rolling wide and deep.....**** I'll drive those 20 mins. I'd drive another 20 no sweat.

Advertisement
I'd imagine that means you're in homestead or something similar. I'd say if the stadium was at tamiami which was the point than yes you'd be considered a local. As is with hard rock I'd see that as a bigger issue because the people who will come to the games I think (just an opinion)all live roughly at distances similar or even further. I think most Miami residents need inspiration beyond simply winning to get on board with a stadium in the middle of opa locka or whatever part of town that's considered now. Dolphins fans for the longest were supportive of the team even in bad times. Now it's just hit or miss on if the team is good. Gotta give fans an area they can get behind. Create an environment surrounding the stadium which is why I really like the sofi people behind this current project. It's not just a stadium. It's an entire experience for a family or couples that's not even dependent on game days.
Just south of The Falls is 35 miles to JRS... Homestead is around +/-45 miles. I never missed a home game for 22 years starting in 1982. I know other people get motivated by other things, I don't expect everyone to be like me.
I used to get tickets to the Lipton/Miami Open when it was on Key Biscayne... another event that got destroyed.
My friend, the South will rise again!

Just south of The Falls is 35 miles to JRS... Homestead is around +/-45 miles. I never missed a home game for 22 years starting in 1982. I know other people get motivated by other things, I don't expect everyone to be like me.
I used to get tickets to the Lipton/Miami Open when it was on Key Biscayne... another event that got destroyed.
My friend, the South will rise again!
I have a house in the pinecrest area as well. Mines a lil further off old Cutler but same principle. I'm not knocking any fan that attends games & goes out their way to support the team. I just think the universities priorities should be more towards the south opposed to Broward and up. Just an opinion though.

Again,

1) Get Canes fans/alums as owners of the Dolphins;
2) Get Canes fans/alums as owners of Calder;
3) Get Canes fans/alums as owners of El Palacio;
4) Get Canes fans/alums as Mayor and City Counsel of Miami Gardens.

That's how you get a better situation out of the stadium.

Advertisement
Back