WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama get the same or more ridicule as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU

I dare anyone to go back and watch the end of the Fiesta vs PSU. Vinny drops back, scans the end zone, and proceeds to toss the ball up into the middle of the greatest concentration of blue jerseys on the field. So that’s what was going on there.

The Sugar Bowl with Gino was completely different. Outside of the punt return by Kevin Williams, it was a lot more like the Peach Bowl vs LSU in ‘05. Obvious lack of prep and total team failure.

Advertisement
I had supreme confidence in the passing game for 1992. I still think it could’ve been one of those games like PSU 1991 when the deep ball was destroying defenses. It looked like Torretta was missing a lot of passes that game.
Perhaps if Copeland caught one of his patented long TD’s things could’ve been tighter. I think the defense played well enough. They were missing so many players too. Even Medearis by himself could’ve probably kept that game close.
No diss but Rusty Medearis gets better and better as the years go by.

We gained more yards than Alabama in the 1993 Sugar Bowl. I'm pretty sure almost all of their yards were running. We stopped them repeatedly in short yardage situations in the first half. If the offense could've scored 2 TD's we probably win. If the game was in the OB we win. We shouldn't have had to go back to the Sugar Bowl after we beat them for the NC in 1990. It was one of the only years back then that the Orange Bowl didn't decide the title.

I watched the game on youtube a couple months ago and really analyzed it because I really hadn't seen the whole game since back in 1993. But when you watch it without Torretta's int's it's a lot closer. It was basically a stalemate besides the int's, maybe Alabama by like a touchdown. One of the picks was obviously returned for a td but there was one which I think gave Bama the ball deep in our territory. That's 20 points the defense gave up. The only time Alabama really put together a great drive was after the Kevin Williams punt return TD. I thought we had a shot after the punt return.

Last edited:
that 92 team, was incredibly resilient and had really the last group of Jimmy Johnson recruits, but that hurricane right before fall camp really threw things out of kilter. Then you had the injury to Rusty, the Oline not being very good (and Bama with that front was the worst possible match-up) and quite frankly, they could've easily lost a few games in the regular season

From that 8-7 escape vs Arizona at the Orange Bowl, you could see the signs

I love that team, it had unreal character and toughness, but it was also a lot of smoke and mirrors, too

I disagree to a degree...JJ was at fault for not running the ball more, and listening to Testeverde...Vinnie was 100x the QB that Torretta was....but he needed to keep his mouth shut insisting to JJ to keep throwing the FB....

UM starts Geoff Toretta and just gives the ball to Alonzo Highsmith, they win by two scores that night
That play was nullified by Bama being Offsides...
It still felt like the end of the dynasty right then and there. You could just feel it..

Gino's OL was Horrible...as was Erickson's game plan, which played directly into Bama's hands...our OL recruiting during Erickson's tenure was absolutely trash...as was QB recruiting following Torretta....Not to mention players out till 4am the day of game.

IIRC we had to move Carlos Etheredge from TE to OT, he switched numbers in fact from like 82 to 68. And then Kipp Vickers who was originally a DT for a few years, was switched over I think that season. Ironically both played a bit in the league, which was amazing to me. By 92, the talent had dipped a bit, and teams started to figure out Erickson's system

Last edited:
Advertisement
I will never underestimate a Sonny Lubick Defense...the 88 team played 5 ranked teams...the 91 played 4....including #1 FSU...so there wasn't a huge schedule difference.....

Penn st was a top five team that season, too, in 91. Had some NFL talent on offense lead by OJ McDuffie...

The 1992 schedule in my opinion was As tough as any if you take into account how our opponents were playing at the time of the game. Arizona beat Washington later that year and finished in the top 25. If they had a good kicker they would’ve finished top 10. And we know how good they were in 1993. FSU in 1992 only lost to us and had one of their best teams ever. PSU was the next game. Then we played at Syracuse and they had the best team I’ve ever seen them have.

5 INT’s in a national championship game that finishes 14-10 is just inexcusable. There’s no way to sugar coat it it, and to other peoples point the 86 team was a better team.

I still blame Jimmy. He should have made Gary Stevens change the game plan. PSU was dropping 8 guys into coverage and was not going to let Vinny beat them. Highsmith was ripping off chunks on the ground though. Run it until they had to put linebackers in the box and then turn Vinny loose.

Alabama was good and it was a team loss. We never even adapted after halftime just kept doing what didn’t work.

PSU had a great defensive game plan where the DBs put on hurricane jerseys and Vinny hit them in stride on like 5 occasions

Advertisement
Gino vs bama was a thorough butt whipping. From offense , defense and special teams. We showed up very over confident and got humbled.

Vinny single handily beat us, while the d kept us in it. They couldn't over come his **** of a game.
My dude, let me give you a little insight for a change, and this is coming from a player who played in that game, the partying that took place prior to that game, killed us. Players were hung over that entire trip. Erickson lost control.

My dude, let me give you a little insight for a change, and this is coming from a player who played in that game, the partying that took place prior to that game, killed us. Players were hung over that entire trip. Erickson lost control.
Dennis never had any control to lose it lol. On top of the partying the players were super ****y and over confident. Every article was a player talking about what they were going to do to bama.

WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

Both cost us CFB Championships.

Both were playing against undefeated #2 teams.

Both Miami teams stunk up the joint offensively.

Vinnie's game was closer, while Gino's game was generally considered a blowout.

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??
1986 team was maybe Miami's most talented ever, even re 2001, the fact that it's debatable means they were crazy talented.
86 PSU wasn't as good as 92 Bama, especially on defense.
92 O-Line was starting a tight end on it that converted over to OL mid-season.
Gino wasn't expected to be drafted #1 overall.

I remember listening to the Jimmy Johnson Show after the Fiesta Bowl. He said it was his decision to throw when we had first and goal on the last drive. He then blamed Testaverde for talking him into throwing. Yes, Stevens should have ran Highsmith 30 times that game.
The head coach blamed his player for 'talking him into throwing' and it was on TV... Jesus H the small ballsification of America started a long a$$ time ago.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back