Why does Miami media suck so much?

What do you expect from College Football reporting?

Every teams reporters are going to pump up the team saying this new years team has enough to get them to the ***, when they go 6-6 every year and maybe have 1 guy drafted.

There's nothing that the reporters can actually report on. The starters of teams are pretty much all known. The new freshmen who are starter-level are almost all known. Every team has known realistic expectations every year.

Teams like Miami are even easier. The seniors are all going to start off with the most playing time, and will gradually lose time to the underclassmen. Guaranteed.

Its not like the NFL, where you have players bouncing around teams, and great coaches moving around. Signing impact players like Mahomes and building offenses around him and addressing needs over each draft cycle. Seeing how seasoned veterans will mesh with rookies or new coaching.

The analysis we do here is literally the best available.

Advertisement
I remember when I first learned to read at age 12 I would always find Pope in the Herald and sit with my dad at the table while he read the news.

A lot of people say Miami is just a bad sports town, or that everyone loves a winner and I would say that is true everywhere. However, there are other reasons Miami is just different in terms of sports and I think it is also different in terms of it's diversity. That isn't bad but it could factor into the equation and LA doesn't exactly have the greatest football following now either. This is just a guess I did no research.

Also, there is just so much to do in Miami year-round. On a college note, there really is no 'city' school that traditionally does well because I believe kids want to go to college towns as there is much less to compete with. In those college towns are your diehard journalists because how those colleges do are all the people who live there care about.

Of course, I could be wrong and we do just have garbage for journalism.

Some South FL sports coverage is lacking, but this is a nitpicky example. Omar Kelly is obnoxious but he's thorough with the Phins coverage. Ethan Skolnick and Ira Winderman are very good with Heat coverage. There is a dearth of good Canes coverage. When Barry Jackson is the best game in town.. ugh.

I remember when I first learned to read at age 12 I would always find Pope in the Herald and sit with my dad at the table while he read the news.

A lot of people say Miami is just a bad sports town, or that everyone loves a winner and I would say that is true everywhere. However, there are other reasons Miami is just different in terms of sports and I think it is also different in terms of it's diversity. That isn't bad but it could factor into the equation and LA doesn't exactly have the greatest football following now either. This is just a guess I did no research.

Also, there is just so much to do in Miami year-round. On a college note, there really is no 'city' school that traditionally does well because I believe kids want to go to college towns as there is much less to compete with. In those college towns are your diehard journalists because how those colleges do are all the people who live there care about.

Of course, I could be wrong and we do just have garbage for journalism.
I know **** well you started reading before age 12 dawg. Lol

Not only did Miami add more pro sports teams but the demographic changed a lot as well.

Advertisement
Nashville sports media coverage is just “happy to be here” and it’s really annoying lol. They rarely go after their teams. Too much optimism and sunshine for me. No real takes there.

With that said, I admire how passionate the fans are for how small a market it is. Preds games are wild.
Yeah I'd watch games at bars and titans fans and even volunteer fans come out in huge groups to watch. I'm more near Alabama in middle tennessee so I see tons of Bama fans. Seen a couple Canes up here

"... I remember when I first learned to read at age 12... "
Well look at Mr Fancy Pants and his English Honors classes!

I just finished Hooked on Phonics Vol II myself. Don't want to brag, but my teacher was saying there might be a spot for me in the AP level Vol III class. I'm just saying.

Top that huh!?

😁

Well look at Mr Fancy Pants and his English Honors classes!

I just finished Hooked on Phonics Vol II myself. Don't want to brag, but my teacher was saying there might be a spot for me in the AP level Vol III class. I'm just saying.

Top that huh!?

😁
I said only if somebody dropped out. I will let you know.

Consider yourself "topped" lol

You mean you don’t like Susan and Ferman. These are some of the best in the nation (serious sarcasm.) The only show worth listening to sometimes is Hoch and Crowder. They at least have local guys on the show with some good stories. They make halfway decent judgment calls. Joe Rose is getting dementia. I don’t think a week goes by anymore where he doesn’t talk about being beaten by nuns in CA as a kid. It relates to absolutely nothing.
It’s painful how out of touch most of these guys are with college sports especially. There’s never been a better time for someone to step up and take over. There’s no insiders worth a crap on any site. There’s barely anyone even covering top recruits locally other than a few games here and there.
I’m just happy Joe Rose doesn’t host the Jimbo Fischer show anymore.

That used to drive me crazy. I’m not sure if there was another show in the country that would give the rival coach a platform like that.

Advertisement
Some South FL sports coverage is lacking, but this is a nitpicky example. Omar Kelly is obnoxious but he's thorough with the Phins coverage. Ethan Skolnick and Ira Winderman are very good with Heat coverage. There is a dearth of good Canes coverage. When Barry Jackson is the best game in town.. ugh.
Kelly is good on some points but he comes off arrogant and takes things personally when the team doesn’t do what he thinks they should do.

He’s too negative as well. It’s like pulling teeth for him to say anything positive about the Dolphins because he’s heartbroken they took Phillips instead of the Bama RB.

He lost credibility with me especially when he said the fins hadn’t improved the roster after the draft.

Barry offers a better balance.

I was listening to the Through the Smoke podcast with David Lake and Gaby Urrutia cause I ran out of good content for my dog walks and they discussed the landing spots for all the Canes in the draft. They talked about how the Bucs are a perfect landing spot because Ryan Succop is a journeyman kicker and Borregales is the favorite to beat him out in an open competition...Ryan Succop just signed a 3 year deal with $4M in dead money for 2021 that would cost the Bucs an additional 500K against the cap if they cut him, for a team that barely has enough space to sign their rookies. There is no competition - Borregales was signed to be the emergency kicker on the practice squad.

This got me thinking about how awful the Canes media with the ITU clowns, SMD and I don't even know who else is out there besides Navarro who's been covering the team for an eternity and still doesn't seem to know the game or the program that well. Compared to the coverage you find of NFL teams or other big-time college programs it's a lazy, complacent group that rarely brings anything compelling to the table.

I had to rant about this but feel free to tell me why this is the case or why I'm wrong if you disagree.
All media suck so much.

Nobody cares about a mediocre college sports team in a major metropolitan city. Let alone one with pro teams in every major sport.

Advertisement
This is not actually true. Enough people care of Miami to go to the games.
But that doesn’t mean those 50k people are constantly reading Canes articles. The rabid fan base is on this site. The average fan is not listening to ITU podcasts for recruiting updates unless we’re good. Unless you are a big fan yourself you aren’t moving here to cover a team that isn’t that good. Covering Miami lately isn’t going to make you famous unless it’s from a scandal

I was listening to the Through the Smoke podcast with David Lake and Gaby Urrutia cause I ran out of good content for my dog walks and they discussed the landing spots for all the Canes in the draft. They talked about how the Bucs are a perfect landing spot because Ryan Succop is a journeyman kicker and Borregales is the favorite to beat him out in an open competition...Ryan Succop just signed a 3 year deal with $4M in dead money for 2021 that would cost the Bucs an additional 500K against the cap if they cut him, for a team that barely has enough space to sign their rookies. There is no competition - Borregales was signed to be the emergency kicker on the practice squad.

This got me thinking about how awful the Canes media with the ITU clowns, SMD and I don't even know who else is out there besides Navarro who's been covering the team for an eternity and still doesn't seem to know the game or the program that well. Compared to the coverage you find of NFL teams or other big-time college programs it's a lazy, complacent group that rarely brings anything compelling to the table.

I had to rant about this but feel free to tell me why this is the case or why I'm wrong if you disagree.
Pinned..would read again.
P.S you should tune in to SEC country media coverage..makes South Florida coverage sound like Jonas Jameson’s pod

Advertisement
But that doesn’t mean those 50k people are constantly reading Canes articles. The rabid fan base is on this site. The average fan is not listening to ITU podcasts for recruiting updates unless we’re good. Unless you are a big fan yourself you aren’t moving here to cover a team that isn’t that good. Covering Miami lately isn’t going to make you famous unless it’s from a scandal

In the context of talking about things like local podcasts, and sites like ITU, and others, you’re right. Maybe I missed your point.

In that case, it’s only a very small percentage of fans, though, that are going to be sucking dry all the media outlets on a team, even if they are a rabid fan. There’s only so many hours in a day, and if you work for a living, you only have so much time.

As far as the Miami hurricanes, we just have fewer fans overall. So our rabid fan base is smaller, therefore when the base is small to begin with, like ours is, it’s hard for the numbers to support a lot of media.

Not knowing cap situations of NFL teams doesn't exactly make the Miami Hurricanes media terrible. But just about everything else does.

Oh, and yes, Borregales going there was incredibly moronic. Unless that was literally the only team who would sign him, which I find hard to believe.
They could showcase him off he has a good camp and gets traded. Like the Ravens did with one dude who was nice but wasn't going to replace Tucker.

What do you expect from College Football reporting?

Every teams reporters are going to pump up the team saying this new years team has enough to get them to the ***, when they go 6-6 every year and maybe have 1 guy drafted.

There's nothing that the reporters can actually report on. The starters of teams are pretty much all known. The new freshmen who are starter-level are almost all known. Every team has known realistic expectations every year.

Teams like Miami are even easier. The seniors are all going to start off with the most playing time, and will gradually lose time to the underclassmen. Guaranteed.

Its not like the NFL, where you have players bouncing around teams, and great coaches moving around. Signing impact players like Mahomes and building offenses around him and addressing needs over each draft cycle. Seeing how seasoned veterans will mesh with rookies or new coaching.

The analysis we do here is literally the best available.

I'm less on hearing the X's and O's from media members...

But there is a dearth of human interest stories surrounding a single college football team at any level. They've literally made documentaries on junior college sports following just a small sample of human interest stories. There may be limited news and analysis...but there is a never ending list of human interest stories that a good journalist could produce.

It may not get the most hits, clicks, etc. But, I'd like to expect more from college sports journalists.

I think it's funny everyone is defending how ****** the media coverage is and acting like Miami is some podunk town where you can't find 2-3 non dip****s to talk about football coherently.

You guys are giving me BOT vibes (I'm kidding on this part, I'd never disrespect you all like that).

Advertisement
Back