Why does Miami media suck so much?

HighSeas

Sophomore
I was listening to the Through the Smoke podcast with David Lake and Gaby Urrutia cause I ran out of good content for my dog walks and they discussed the landing spots for all the Canes in the draft. They talked about how the Bucs are a perfect landing spot because Ryan Succop is a journeyman kicker and Borregales is the favorite to beat him out in an open competition...Ryan Succop just signed a 3 year deal with $4M in dead money for 2021 that would cost the Bucs an additional 500K against the cap if they cut him, for a team that barely has enough space to sign their rookies. There is no competition - Borregales was signed to be the emergency kicker on the practice squad.

This got me thinking about how awful the Canes media with the ITU clowns, SMD and I don't even know who else is out there besides Navarro who's been covering the team for an eternity and still doesn't seem to know the game or the program that well. Compared to the coverage you find of NFL teams or other big-time college programs it's a lazy, complacent group that rarely brings anything compelling to the table.

I had to rant about this but feel free to tell me why this is the case or why I'm wrong if you disagree.

Advertisement
I was listening to the Through the Smoke podcast with David Lake and Gaby Urrutia cause I ran out of good content for my dog walks and they discussed the landing spots for all the Canes in the draft. They talked about how the Bucs are a perfect landing spot because Ryan Succop is a journeyman kicker and Borregales is the favorite to beat him out in an open competition...Ryan Succop just signed a 3 year deal with $4M in dead money for 2021 that would cost the Bucs an additional 500K against the cap if they cut him, for a team that barely has enough space to sign their rookies. There is no competition - Borregales was signed to be the emergency kicker on the practice squad.

This got me thinking about how awful the Canes media with the ITU clowns, SMD and I don't even know who else is out there besides Navarro who's been covering the team for an eternity and still doesn't seem to know the game or the program that well. Compared to the coverage you find of NFL teams or other big-time college programs it's a lazy, complacent group that rarely brings anything compelling to the table.

I had to rant about this but feel free to tell me why this is the case or why I'm wrong if you disagree.
curious:

What would be the "perfect" sports coverage media?

Advertisement
We're a city filled with fair weather fans and I don't think our media market is as big as most of you think (16th in the US). So you add those two things together you get subpar coverage w/ lesser talent.

I will say though that I think this is just how a good chunk of sports fans feel about media for their city/teams. It's either a) my city's media coverage is trash or b) no one cares enough to have an opinion. I've lived in Philly, Phoenix, Nashville, and DC (born and raised in Miami).

I think the few of us that care recognize the lack of decent content but it's few and far between. But we're more of a Phoenix than we are a Philly or NYC.

Not knowing cap situations of NFL teams doesn't exactly make the Miami Hurricanes media terrible. But just about everything else does.

Oh, and yes, Borregales going there was incredibly moronic. Unless that was literally the only team who would sign him, which I find hard to believe.

We're a city filled with fair weather fans and I don't think our media market is as big as most of you think (16th in the US). So you add those two things together you get subpar coverage w/ lesser talent.

I will say though that I think this is just how a good chunk of sports fans feel about media for their city/teams. It's either a) my city's media coverage is trash or b) no one cares enough to have an opinion. I've lived in Philly, Phoenix, Nashville, and DC (born and raised in Miami).

I think the few of us that care recognize the lack of decent content but it's few and far between. But we're more of a Phoenix than we are a Philly or NYC.
👆100%.

The grandeur of the "Miami market" is more myth than reality according to the data.

Advertisement
You mean you don’t like Susan and Ferman. These are some of the best in the nation (serious sarcasm.) The only show worth listening to sometimes is Hoch and Crowder. They at least have local guys on the show with some good stories. They make halfway decent judgment calls. Joe Rose is getting dementia. I don’t think a week goes by anymore where he doesn’t talk about being beaten by nuns in CA as a kid. It relates to absolutely nothing.
It’s painful how out of touch most of these guys are with college sports especially. There’s never been a better time for someone to step up and take over. There’s no insiders worth a crap on any site. There’s barely anyone even covering top recruits locally other than a few games here and there.

Anybody good in the south Florida media scene is just looking to break into one of the major markets. Nobody stays here except mediocre talent.

I think all you have to do to get a job in the media is (1) know someone and either (1a) know how to spell without spell checker on or (1b) not crap your pants on camera.

Advertisement
You mean you don’t like Susan and Ferman. These are some of the best in the nation (serious sarcasm.) The only show worth listening to sometimes is Hoch and Crowder. They at least have local guys on the show with some good stories. They make halfway decent judgment calls. Joe Rose is getting dementia. I don’t think a week goes by anymore where he doesn’t talk about being beaten by nuns in CA as a kid. It relates to absolutely nothing.
It’s painful how out of touch most of these guys are with college sports especially. There’s never been a better time for someone to step up and take over. There’s no insiders worth a crap on any site. There’s barely anyone even covering top recruits locally other than a few games here and there.
I used to listen to hochman, crowder, And Krantz. I liked that show. Didn't like Joe Rose. Lebatard was the best thing on in the time slot, but I didn't really like it. I liked Romberg, but Joy was unlistenable, I found her too annoying to listen to the show. Beast was one of the better radio guys, don't know why he wasn't on more. I haven't listened to SFL sports radio in like 7-8 years. I can't imagine it has gotten any better.

The industry is dying. They can't compete with podcasts. The majority of hosts don't know more than their listeners. Their opinions are uninformed and follow a pattern of acceptable analysis, which makes them boring as ****, no insights.

Advertisement
Brother...why do you need the media when you get the absolute best (and worst) takes for free (w/ ads) right here at Canes InSight Dot Com Slash Forums?

The reality is, there are very few good sports reporters left. Its an industry that doesn't exactly pay a lot and college beat reporting is lower on the food chain than local high school beat writer. Journalism in general pretty much sucks these days and its filtered all of the way down to the lowest level niche beats. Unfortunate...but, America. Even the good reporters concentrating on one site (TheAthletic for example) are struggling to stay alive and already talking about a merger with Axios or the NYT (gross). That's hard times.

Its just all been shît since Dan William Sileo departed.

#MisunderstoodGenius

🤣

I heard he used to post here???

How many of us would be like the video if we were the Athletic Director at the University of Miami?

All of us. Maybe like that until we gathered ourselves and then spoke with the coaches in a more diplomatic manner until of course we got ****ed and went off on a tangent lol.

Our current Athletic Director is not this way which could be the problem with all of our sports at the moment.

I don't think that Miami is the sports hotbed that most posters here believe it to be. It doesn't draw top sports media stars to report or write.
You need championship teams to be a sports hotbed, we were kings when the Heat had the big three 2011-2014. or when the U was dominate.
The focus is always on winners.

Advertisement
Back