Why does Miami media suck so much?

Advertisement
Perhaps, you’re expectations of media coverage from kids who are trying to establish experience and build a resume through recruiting websites are a tad too high..

I was listening to the Through the Smoke podcast with David Lake and Gaby Urrutia cause I ran out of good content for my dog walks and they discussed the landing spots for all the Canes in the draft. They talked about how the Bucs are a perfect landing spot because Ryan Succop is a journeyman kicker and Borregales is the favorite to beat him out in an open competition...Ryan Succop just signed a 3 year deal with $4M in dead money for 2021 that would cost the Bucs an additional 500K against the cap if they cut him, for a team that barely has enough space to sign their rookies. There is no competition - Borregales was signed to be the emergency kicker on the practice squad.

This got me thinking about how awful the Canes media with the ITU clowns, SMD and I don't even know who else is out there besides Navarro who's been covering the team for an eternity and still doesn't seem to know the game or the program that well. Compared to the coverage you find of NFL teams or other big-time college programs it's a lazy, complacent group that rarely brings anything compelling to the table.

I had to rant about this but feel free to tell me why this is the case or why I'm wrong if you disagree.
Perhaps, you’re expectations of media coverage from kids who are trying to establish experience and build a resume through recruiting websites are a tad too high..

Unfortunately, we haven't given local media much reason to talk about us for a long time. Around '01 and thereafter, Manny was on the beat for the Herald and did a good job. IIRC, Sun Sentinel had a dedicated Cane guy too (Michael Cunningham was one I remember). But that was when we were nationally relevant. Outside of Barry Jackson now, it's slim picking.

Advertisement
curious:

What would be the "perfect" sports coverage media?
Good question. Perfect beat reporting is what I see from people like Jourdan Rodrigue or Nick Underhill. They have an intimate understanding of the team - what they value, their thought processes, their schemes, the history of individual members, etc. They seek to grow their knowledge about the Xs and Os of the game to integrate that into their coverage. They have sources to confirm or expand upon the things they write about, explaining the process behind decisions and future plans. And they do interviews with team members that yield actual insights, like the article Jeff Duncan just posted interviewing Jeff Ireland about the Saints' draft.

There's no reason why college reporters can't put the same level of effort into that stuff. If you can jocksniff teenagers and their families for low-hanging fruit recruiting updates you can try to better understand the team side. @DMoney does this (seeing the big picture, not the jocksniffing part lol) and he's not a reporter. If you're telling me Quan Lee is a "slot type guy" when he plays more like Tylan Wallace on film that says a lot.

Lake has been with ITU since I first started porsting on Cane forums. Dude has had plenty of time to "establish" something useful.

Anyone remember that tool Matt Porter? That guy was a beatdick and three quarters.
Whoa. I haven't heard that name in a long, long time. Michael Casagrande was also covering UM for a short period. Last I heard from him, he was covering Bama.

Advertisement
Whoa. I haven't heard that name in a long, long time. Michael Casagrande was also covering UM for a short period. Last I heard from him, he was covering Bama.
I don't recall that dude. Porter was an arrogant POS. Miami was just a pitstop for him. Think he's a northeast guy and covers the Boston Bruins now. Seems fitting for him....

We're a city filled with fair weather fans and I don't think our media market is as big as most of you think (16th in the US). So you add those two things together you get subpar coverage w/ lesser talent.

I will say though that I think this is just how a good chunk of sports fans feel about media for their city/teams. It's either a) my city's media coverage is trash or b) no one cares enough to have an opinion. I've lived in Philly, Phoenix, Nashville, and DC (born and raised in Miami).

I think the few of us that care recognize the lack of decent content but it's few and far between. But we're more of a Phoenix than we are a Philly or NYC.
I just moved to Nashville area and I forget the guys name but on his sports radio show whenever he talks about tannehill and Henry it's like he gets a hard on

I just moved to Nashville area and I forget the guys name but on his sports radio show whenever he talks about tannehill and Henry it's like he gets a hard on
Nashville sports media coverage is just “happy to be here” and it’s really annoying lol. They rarely go after their teams. Too much optimism and sunshine for me. No real takes there.

With that said, I admire how passionate the fans are for how small a market it is. Preds games are wild.

Advertisement
The problem is everybody and his brother has a podcast or some other attention getting medium that has flooded the market in the 24/7 “news” culture. I listen to or read hardly any of those attention whores as most don’t know there *** from a hole in the ground. I’ll be damned if I’m going to waste however many minutes/ hours of my day listening or reading a bunch of drivel from a bunch of clowns.

Lake has been with ITU since I first started porsting on Cane forums. Dude has had plenty of time to "establish" something useful.
Peace Out Whatever GIF

Advertisement
Because you have guys like Dan La Batard always looking for the next big scandal and looking for a way to move up in market. It's one thing to be fair and objective. It's quite the other to be vindictive and damaging and self-promoting. Of all the current and former writers in Miami, that scumbag is the worst and he being a former alum makes it even more heinous.

The Canes aren’t the Canes any longer. They are an average college football program sitting in a professional market- one of which is an NFL team.

It used to only be the Phins to compete with- now you have baseball- basketball- hockey and soccer.

Most journalists are careerists. Miami media is similar to almost all forms of journalism in this country, especially political journalism. There is an inverse correlation between 'access' and good journalism. Most would not trade job security or future opportunities for hard hitting critiques, serious analysis or tough questions. They'd be locked out. So they play the long career game and we suffer.

Advertisement
Back