Why do we offer some lower rated kids while ignoring seemingly better prospects?

Nope. Never even met him. I just know his uncle pretty well. He's been telling me about him and sending me video's for years. I'm just puzzled by our lack of interest, while many other programs including Notre Dame and Texas A&M have definite interest, as I'm sure they do evaluations as well.
I trust Manny and his staff until they prove untrustworthy.
I never said we should offer Steven, I just asked why we aren't interested. To say the star system means NOTHING is ludicrous to me. If so, why do Bama and Clemson load up on 5*'s instead of 3*'s. I guess time will tell with this kid.

Clemson doesnt just load up on Five Stars. They've never even had a Top 5 recruiting class under Dabo. They have perfected their evaluation methods and only take guys they think fit into their system. And say what you want about Bama but they are two epically mind numbing collapses by Georgia from being O-fer in national titles in the last 6-7 years, despite having the #1 overall recruting classes every single year during that time frame.

Advertisement
To those with more knowledge than me: why does the staff go after some lower rated recruits, while ignoring other, more highly rated kids who have a REAL interest in coming to the U?
I’m referring to a kid like 2021 CB Steven Ortiz, Jr. from Desert Edge HS in Arizona. He’s a 4* CB who is rising in the rankings. Rivals lists him as the 8th overall CB in the nation, while 24/7 has him 10th. (The 24/7 will probably go up because he rose in Rivals recently.)
He has family in South Florida and spends time down here. I know for sure that UM was one of his top choices. He’s a good kid who doesn’t get in trouble, gets good grades, is focused, and grinds every day. He shows up big in games and dominates on one of the best 7v7 teams in the nation. The kid took a visit to a Canes game last season on his own dime. He has lots of offers, including from Penn State and Oregon.
But, for some reason, the staff seems lukewarm on him. We recently offered a out of state 2021 CB that is rated much lower than Steven, has only a couple of mid-major offers, and has a slower 40 time.
I’m NOT criticizing our staff or our recruiting strategy. I just don’t get it. I’m hoping someone can school me.
View attachment 87905
*Sees a good topic, jumps in.*

Clemson doesnt just load up on Five Stars. They've never even had a Top 5 recruiting class under Dabo. They have perfected their evaluation methods and only take guys they think fit into their system. And say what you want about Bama but they are two epically mind numbing collapses by Georgia from being O-fer in national titles in the last 6-7 years, despite having the #1 overall recruting classes every single year during that time frame.

Go back a number of years and the only program consistently in the top five is Alabama. That's their philosophy and bags + solid coaching certainly doesn't hurt. Can't argue with the results, but as the rankings pretty much prove no other school can do that, though UGA under Kirby is rivaling it recently.

Clemson's model, or rather I should say our model (before Coker) should and appears to be our approach. Now the staff has to prove they can evaluate, but I'm not going to ***** about the philosophy. If you see them start chasing stars you'll know we are ****ed again coaching/recruiting wise (see Mullen).

Kid needs to camp.
Get evaluated by the staff.
Let them decide he is a Miami fit
End of story.

Here is Banda on "stars" from yesterday...

“Listen to me whoever is listening to this, we do not care, honestly,” Banda said. “We do not give—I’m not going to cuss—but I don’t care about your stars. And fans get tied up into that and I get it because it’s a non-season opportunity to get excited about your team and there’s nothing wrong with that.

We will take players that are good enough to play at Miami despite their stars. That young man over there, number 8, DJ Ivey, was not one of—-a couple of you guys (in the media) who rank them—the highest-rated corners, periods. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I’m going to say you’re wrong because I know how good he is and how good he will be because I know tangibly, because I see it every day, it doesn’t matter. He may have been a 3-star or a 4-star when he came to Miami, but that’s how it works. We don’t care. What we will do is very throughout in the evaluation process. We will be in their high schools. We will have them on campus. We will talk to the janitors, the trainers, the youth football coaches, and that will essentially tell us if he is fit, cut, and ready to play at Miami. The stars (won’t). I get it is good and rightfully so, but it will never dictate how we recruit.”

Advertisement
Yup. We should focus on 247 and Rivals rankings that are based on evals from guys who likely never played a down of football past HS (if that) rather than evaluations from Manny his staff. I like that strategy.

ROFL, always great to see im not the only one that addresses stupidity!

Kid needs to camp.
Get evaluated by the staff.
Let them decide he is a Miami fit
End of story.

Here is Banda on "stars" from yesterday...

“Listen to me whoever is listening to this, we do not care, honestly,” Banda said. “We do not give—I’m not going to cuss—but I don’t care about your stars. And fans get tied up into that and I get it because it’s a non-season opportunity to get excited about your team and there’s nothing wrong with that.

We will take players that are good enough to play at Miami despite their stars. That young man over there, number 8, DJ Ivey, was not one of—-a couple of you guys (in the media) who rank them—the highest-rated corners, periods. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I’m going to say you’re wrong because I know how good he is and how good he will be because I know tangibly, because I see it every day, it doesn’t matter. He may have been a 3-star or a 4-star when he came to Miami, but that’s how it works. We don’t care. What we will do is very throughout in the evaluation process. We will be in their high schools. We will have them on campus. We will talk to the janitors, the trainers, the youth football coaches, and that will essentially tell us if he is fit, cut, and ready to play at Miami. The stars (won’t). I get it is good and rightfully so, but it will never dictate how we recruit.”

It's against NCAA rules for a coach or program to announce who they've offered a scholarship to until signing day. When you read about payer X receiving an offer, it's solely based on what player X wants to tell the public, usually via social media. Someone claiming to have a Miami offer could be 100% lying about it. The school isn't allowed to say whether they do or not. On that same note, a kid could have a Miami offer and for whatever reason doesn't brag about it and nobody knows he has an offer outside of the kid and Miami's staff. Some players pretend to have an offer list of big name programs to entice other schools or gain status on recruiting websites. You see kids get bumps in recruiting ratings based solely on perceived offers all the time. The truth is, the general public has no idea who has been offered or how many offers have been made.

Advertisement
To those with more knowledge than me: why does the staff go after some lower rated recruits, while ignoring other, more highly rated kids who have a REAL interest in coming to the U?
I’m referring to a kid like 2021 CB Steven Ortiz, Jr. from Desert Edge HS in Arizona. He’s a 4* CB who is rising in the rankings. Rivals lists him as the 8th overall CB in the nation, while 24/7 has him 10th. (The 24/7 will probably go up because he rose in Rivals recently.)
He has family in South Florida and spends time down here. I know for sure that UM was one of his top choices. He’s a good kid who doesn’t get in trouble, gets good grades, is focused, and grinds every day. He shows up big in games and dominates on one of the best 7v7 teams in the nation. The kid took a visit to a Canes game last season on his own dime. He has lots of offers, including from Penn State and Oregon.
But, for some reason, the staff seems lukewarm on him. We recently offered a out of state 2021 CB that is rated much lower than Steven, has only a couple of mid-major offers, and has a slower 40 time.
I’m NOT criticizing our staff or our recruiting strategy. I just don’t get it. I’m hoping someone can school me.
View attachment 87905

Could it be him not fitting into the scheme? I believe Coach Mike is also recruiting SFL first then out of area/state kids only after locals turn us down.

Be careful. Some of you are starting to sound like the star whores Gaytor fans are known to be. Stars are definitely important, but not gaytor fan important!

Advertisement
Could be how they fit into our system, work ethic, academics, problems in their background, etc.

Also has the player peaked? Some lesser stars may be still maturing or needed weight training, etc. Look at Zion Nelson.

This is his dad so I’m sure they’re reading the board. Stefan wrote about him and I’m sure the staff knows about him.

Kid needs to come earn his offer.

Advertisement
Different coaches have different visions...all ill say is if the gators did this or fsu we would be in the tears thread laughing.

Lets see how this works out im not to souped about it either...but its recruiting we have been weak at it since Butch left did u expect anything else.

Advertisement
Back