Why do we offer some lower rated kids while ignoring seemingly better prospects?

StCane

Recruit
To those with more knowledge than me: why does the staff go after some lower rated recruits, while ignoring other, more highly rated kids who have a REAL interest in coming to the U?
I’m referring to a kid like 2021 CB Steven Ortiz, Jr. from Desert Edge HS in Arizona. He’s a 4* CB who is rising in the rankings. Rivals lists him as the 8th overall CB in the nation, while 24/7 has him 10th. (The 24/7 will probably go up because he rose in Rivals recently.)
He has family in South Florida and spends time down here. I know for sure that UM was one of his top choices. He’s a good kid who doesn’t get in trouble, gets good grades, is focused, and grinds every day. He shows up big in games and dominates on one of the best 7v7 teams in the nation. The kid took a visit to a Canes game last season on his own dime. He has lots of offers, including from Penn State and Oregon.
But, for some reason, the staff seems lukewarm on him. We recently offered a out of state 2021 CB that is rated much lower than Steven, has only a couple of mid-major offers, and has a slower 40 time.
I’m NOT criticizing our staff or our recruiting strategy. I just don’t get it. I’m hoping someone can school me.

Advertisement
Well a couple things.

The recruiting sites do not evaluate players (all players) unless they camp or have a huge following.

Certain sites (ahem Gator tears) will arbitrarily lobby for players to receive higher ranking than they deserve simply because the site has a huge subscription base. See the Rivers comparison to that random *** kid no one heard about getting a 1300 spot ranking boost.

Look at the NFL 1st round. Every single year there are kids who are 3 stars, 2 stars or NR'ed for a reason.

Per your comparison Miami should basically never leave South Florida for a corner/safety especially one from Arizona. Arizona is not a football hotbed.

Advertisement
Well a couple things.

The recruiting sites do not evaluate players (all players) unless they camp or have a huge following.

Certain sites (ahem Gator tears) will arbitrarily lobby for players to receive higher ranking than they deserve simply because the site has a huge subscription base. See the Rivers comparison to that random *** kid no one heard about getting a 1300 spot ranking boost.

Look at the NFL 1st round. Every single year there are kids who are 3 stars, 2 stars or NR'ed for a reason.

Per your comparison Miami should basically never leave South Florida for a corner/safety especially one from Arizona. Arizona is not a football hotbed.
Never say never, there are always going to be better players outside our state that we should never be afraid to pursue. HOWEVER, I do agree with this as a general statement, especially the dubious assessment and ratings by these sites.

Advertisement
To those with more knowledge than me: why does the staff go after some lower rated recruits, while ignoring other, more highly rated kids who have a REAL interest in coming to the U?
I’m referring to a kid like 2021 CB Steven Ortiz, Jr. from Desert Edge HS in Arizona. He’s a 4* CB who is rising in the rankings. Rivals lists him as the 8th overall CB in the nation, while 24/7 has him 10th. (The 24/7 will probably go up because he rose in Rivals recently.)
He has family in South Florida and spends time down here. I know for sure that UM was one of his top choices. He’s a good kid who doesn’t get in trouble, gets good grades, is focused, and grinds every day. He shows up big in games and dominates on one of the best 7v7 teams in the nation. The kid took a visit to a Canes game last season on his own dime. He has lots of offers, including from Penn State and Oregon.
But, for some reason, the staff seems lukewarm on him. We recently offered a out of state 2021 CB that is rated much lower than Steven, has only a couple of mid-major offers, and has a slower 40 time.
I’m NOT criticizing our staff or our recruiting strategy. I just don’t get it. I’m hoping someone can school me.
View attachment 87905

Welcome to the board Mr. Ortiz!

Never say never, there are always going to be better players outside our state that we should never be afraid to pursue. HOWEVER, I do agree with this as a general statement, especially the dubious assessment and ratings by these sites.

You know what Im saying Mang

Que the

Ed Reed came from LA reference lol

Well a couple things.

Well there’s these things called evaluations

Thread could be deaded after these two replies

OP don't always go by rankings and stuff. It's a great talking point that helps us get through the offseason and also bragging rights between fans but they don't always tell the whole story.

Also, as many of y'all have said, i'd rather trust my staff on who THEY have evaluated and feel they have a better and legit shot at as well as who fits their scheme, team culture, etc than a recruitnik. Some of these 2 and 3 star recruits are just as talented if not more talented than some of these 4 and 5 stars yet they just don't have the exposure.

For example, how many recruits get a 500 spot boost just because they were offered by a certain school yet football season has been over with for **** near 7 months?

View attachment 87905

In all seriousness, our decline started when we relied solely on ratings and highlights. Just let the staff do their thing.

**** Coker

Advertisement
the staff also chooses players that are a good fit for their scheme and do a more in depth evaluation of the players they are after while the site rate players they have never seen. REMEMBER RIVALS rated a player recently that never existed, someone made up a fictious name and stat and the idiots at rivals gave him a rating. Do you still think we should recruit based on their evaluations.

I’ve heard this name from a number of people and it’s clear he has interest. I don’t understand why he hasn’t camped at UM tho if he’s interested.

It’s always played that if a school doesn’t offer, they can’t visit.

Look at the last two cycles:
Sam Brooks is not a 3*
This kid Love on the DL that we are on now is not a 2* or low 3*

Advertisement
I’ve heard this name from a number of people and it’s clear he has interest. I don’t understand why he hasn’t camped at UM tho if he’s interested.

It’s always played that if a school doesn’t offer, they can’t visit.
Any kid can unofficially visit. Right?

OP above said Ortiz came to a game last year

Welcome to the board Mr. Ortiz!
Nope. Never even met him. I just know his uncle pretty well. He's been telling me about him and sending me video's for years. I'm just puzzled by our lack of interest, while many other programs including Notre Dame and Texas A&M have definite interest, as I'm sure they do evaluations as well.
I trust Manny and his staff until they prove untrustworthy.
I never said we should offer Steven, I just asked why we aren't interested. To say the star system means NOTHING is ludicrous to me. If so, why do Bama and Clemson load up on 5*'s instead of 3*'s. I guess time will tell with this kid.

Advertisement
Back