Why do we consistently not show up

No, this is more than that. This goes beyond Richt and as long as I can remember. Even some of our best teams have either lost or almost lost against vastly inferior opponents. It's not just CFB it's Miami. You don't see Alabama player down to all of their opponents.
I hear you. It's frustrating. It goes back to the 80s. But you're trying to reason with people who started following this team three weeks ago.

Advertisement
In today’s world of college football, we’ll never come out and dominate every game. When you don’t do that, you are bound to get upset. There’s only 2 undefeated power 5 teams.

Having a good oline and QB makes a ton of difference, something we haven’t had in 16 years. This team can’t run the ball consistently and Rosier misses wide open guys. Looking back, I’m shocked we made it to 10-0 with our glaring deficiencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1990 - BYU
2001 - Almost lost to BC with the great college team ever
2017 - Almost lost to UNC, and GT; lost to Pitt

You have the perspective of being a fan for a long time. I try best not to think of the BYU game and I was at the Maryland and BC games. I stopped betting the spread in the 90’s because of Miami. True story.

three things

1. O line play

2. quarter back play

3. special teams

we literally got beat in those 3 areas HANDIDLY

Plus, their defense - yesterday - played at least as well as ours did. I laugh at all the talk about our receivers "running free" all over the field. Yes, they were open and Rosier should have hit a couple but ... on my TV, Pitt DBs were always in the screen shot in decent position. Rosier needs more separation. We could easily have been 8-4 this year so ... amazing we're still in the playoff hunt with a QB that Richt selected as the best of a mediocre/poor set of options.

Advertisement
No matter who our head coach is, Miami always has problems showing up. What is it about our players that causes this?

This is the best thing that could have happened. Team was hearing the hype and all the TO chain bs.
Now they actually have to focus again and score in 1st half like the ND game. Can’t rely and comebacks.

While I agree with this sentiment on the whole, I don't think that's what happened yesterday at all. We've been an overachieving team all year, with a glaring potential weakness at QB. Malik had yet to have a 4 quarter dud. If he did in any of our other close scrapes we'd have already taken an L.

It's hard to understate how grossly inept he was.
I’d add to this, that bama never loses games like these because they arguably have the greatest college coach of all time on the sideline. There isn’t a single other team that doesn’t take games off including urban Meyers teams. It happens, but that’s not really what happened yesterday.

This was an easy win if the qb does what he was supposed to do.

When a team is good (I mean really good)...the ‘not showing up’ games seem to stick out in our mind more than the expected blowouts. There are plenty of blowout games vs not good opponents. Yet, we remember the close games.

And these are 18-19 yr old kids. It’s just how it is.

Look at MR's history- Averaged 1-2 loses per year and played in Orlando/Tampa Bowl games. It is what it is.

1-2 loses a year?
Nick Saban, the best college football coach in America, has 19 losses in his 12th year at Alabama.
That's about 1.5 loses a year.
Urban Meyer is also about 1.5 losses a year at OSU.

Advertisement
While I agree with this sentiment on the whole, I don't think that's what happened yesterday at all. We've been an overachieving team all year, with a glaring potential weakness at QB. Malik had yet to have a 4 quarter dud. If he did in any of our other close scrapes we'd have already taken an L.

It's hard to understate how grossly inept he was.
I’d add to this, that bama never loses games like these because they arguably have the greatest college coach of all time on the sideline. There isn’t a single other team that doesn’t take games off including urban Meyers teams. It happens, but that’s not really what happened yesterday.

This was an easy win if the qb does what he was supposed to do.
Bama has also had the OL to maul everyone with the running game when needed.

2 words:

MARK. RICHT.
As usual you've got it backwards. Mark Richt is supposed to beat Pitt, UNC, SU, Toledo, etc. but lose to VT and ND. But this is typical, you've been asleep for years and then after we beat ND you magically show up again.

Bc the HC is soft, this is what UGA went through for a decade.

There’s truth to this.

Ask any UGA fan. Richt couldn’t win the SEC east when it was gift wrapped for him. That’s why he got fired. Not just because he lost to Saban and Meyer....losing to goofs like Muschamp got him fired.

The HC is soft but he won against our biggest three rivals this season. And has us playing in the ACCCG with a QB that struggles to complete a 10 yard pass. Ok, that makes sense

not to mention, against our biggest rival, he went for the kill shot vs settling for a field goal and sending it OT. yeah real soft. today wasn't about anyone not showing up. it was about the QB being horrific and missing a million throws (short and deep) and a defense having to be out on the field for an entire game on a short week. that game was 10-7 for the majority of the third and we had multiple chances to do something on offense and went three and out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back