Why do some of you think that the NCAA may award extra initial counters this year?

Cryptical Envelopment

What a long strange trip it's been
Banned
Is this based on something real, something actively being proposed, something that has legs? If so, if you can help me out with a link or two.

Or is this a media noche wish sandwich we are making up?

Genuine question... want to know of this is a real thing. Thanks team.

Advertisement
If the season gets cancelled dudes might want to stay one more year to up the draft stock

idk about anyone else, but Barton Simmons and Bud Elliott have been talking about it for a few weeks on the podcast. I just assume they have an idea that this is at least being discussed as an option considering the weird roster issues that will come up as a result of COVID.

Any specifics they can site, or are they their own source? Are they reporting that its being discussed by the NCAA?

Advertisement
Is this based on something real, something actively being proposed, something that has legs? If so, if you can help me out with a link or two.

Or is this a media noche wish sandwich we are making up?

Genuine question... want to know of this is a real thing. Thanks team.

Obviously it is going to happen because Pops Cooney tweeted 5 ticket stubs, which represents 5 extra ICs.

Yeah, that's a load of bullcrap, I'm just being sarcastic.

A lot of people suspect that if Baga want more ICs, they will get it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t want to start a new thread so I’ll just add to this one for discussion. I saw a thread on the gaytor 247 board that copied a thread on the Canes 247 board started by Drewny86, aka @2.0. I do not know much about it so hopefully @TheOriginalCane can chime in on what Drew heard or said as copied from 247:

“1. Look for transfers to not count towards the initial 25 count for the next 2 seasons.

2. The NCAA is going to allow football teams to carry 95 Non-Senior football players this upcoming season with a gradual 5 scholarship step down the next 3 seasons to get back to 85 scholarships. Senior transfers will count towards this number. So pretty much, if your a senior this year and you transfer, you will count towards the new schools overall scholarship count but not the initial count.

3. NCAA is debating waiving the Standarized test scores permanently but raising the GPA requirement to a 2.75.

4. Another topic being debated is freezing the eligibility clock for players in the portal at the start of the 2021 season.”

I don’t want to start a new thread so I’ll just add to this one for discussion. I saw a thread on the gaytor 247 board that copied a thread on the Canes 247 board started by Drewny86, aka @2.0. I do not know much about it so hopefully @TheOriginalCane can chime in on what Drew heard or said as copied from 247:

“1. Look for transfers to not count towards the initial 25 count for the next 2 seasons.

2. The NCAA is going to allow football teams to carry 95 Non-Senior football players this upcoming season with a gradual 5 scholarship step down the next 3 seasons to get back to 85 scholarships. Senior transfers will count towards this number. So pretty much, if your a senior this year and you transfer, you will count towards the new schools overall scholarship count but not the initial count.

3. NCAA is debating waiving the Standarized test scores permanently but raising the GPA requirement to a 2.75.

4. Another topic being debated is freezing the eligibility clock for players in the portal at the start of the 2021 season.”

Drewny86 really doesn't know what he is talking about.

Lots of schools have made lots of suggestions. So there is a lot of "discussion". That doesn't mean that all of those things will come to pass.

The simple reality is that the NCAA has to do something, because MATH. There are just way too many kids in the portal, and too few remaining ICs (under the current IC rules). Unless the NCAA wants to have a ton of kids who never finish their degrees, they will do something soon.

The next step is what to do. There are lots of "easy fixes" that would work for one year, but not on a permanent basis. For instance, "let a school get back to 85" would let F$U sign about 40 transfers, but it would also lead to questionable future practices where schools push out kids. Or "giving an extra 5 ICs" would help, but what is to prevent Alabama or Clemson from using their windfall ICs on high school kids?

"Sustainable" would be a situation where schools are allowed an extra "transfer-IN-only-IC" for every in-good-standing "transfer-out". I am not sure if the NCAA will do that for 2021, they may do something quick-and-easy for now, but the one-transfer-in-for-one-transfer-out is a very workable solution for the future.

Don't wager your grocery money on anything that Drewny86 says, he really doesn't have any inside info, he just regurgitates what others say.

Look at his "claims":

1. "Look for transfers to not count towards the initial 25 count for the next 2 seasons." I have long made the argument for separate treatment for HS/JuCo kids and "transfer" kids. If this "nugget" was anywhere close to being a "known reality" among universities and colleges, though, you would already see a LOT more transfers immediately declaring their destinations. Sorry, but I don't think "Drewny86" has solid info here. Maybe it will happen, maybe it will not, but it's not anywhere near as much of a done deal as he seems to claim.

2. "The NCAA is going to allow football teams to carry 95 Non-Senior football players this upcoming season" yada yada yada. First, the NCAA has already said that 2020 seniors are exempt, so I'm not sure how/why/why Drewny86 has chosen a number of 95, with an elaborate stepdown mechanism. Second, it is baffling as to why Drewny86 even mentions this, as there are two different and distinct problems to deal with, (a) the potential overflow on COUNTER numbers due to the "free Covid year" of eligibility, and (b) the high number of transfers. Again, 25 ICs and 85 counters are two separate rules, and the NCAA has already made a one-year rule change on 85 counters. I would also point out that (similar to my response in #1), if this was such a "known solution", you would already see more schools taking more transfers NOW, because it won't impact their HS/JuCo recruiting numbers. And that is not currently happening.

3. "NCAA is debating waiving the Standarized test scores permanently but raising the GPA requirement to a 2.75" Again, I'm not even sure why Drewny86 mentions this, he probably took this "nugget" from someone and included it to appear more insider-ish. Very few kids fail to qualify SOLELY because of the test score. There is a strong overlap between "poor GPA/core curriculum" and "poor test scores". And the NCAA has already been moving heavily towards the "GPA/core curriculum" emphasis, with the new "academic redshirt" rule. Plus, I would simply argue that if THIS RULE was really so imminent, there is NO WAY that the Gaytors would have dropped MULTIPLE talented commits for academic reasons, they would have just signed them and put up with the 1 lost year of eligibility in order to keep that "Gaytor recruiting class ranking".

4. "Another topic being debated is freezing the eligibility clock for players in the portal at the start of the 2021 season." Nobody even knows what in the **** this means. Who will be in the portal at the START of the 2021 season? Is Dopey Drew suggesting that kids will STILL be in the Portal nine months from now, and that the NCAA will just toll their eligibility? Makes no sense at all. The NCAA wants kids enrolled, wants kids making academic progress, wants kids earning degrees.

Look, I could take about 10 pieces of NCAA ****-rumors, and fling them at a wall, and if four of them come true, I could appoint myself as some sort of insider, which is pretty much what Drewny86 is doing here.

The NCAA is going to do something, and soon. But Drewny86 has no freaking clue.

Honest educated guesses: NCAA rule-changes for transfers (and "transfer ICs") happen in the first 2-3 weeks of January, so that transfers can enroll in the spring semester. Then, there will be a wild 100-car-pile-up for the remaining HS, JuCo, and transfer kids, NOT SOLELY BASED ON ICS AND COUNTERS, but also based on depth chart perceptions and playing-time promises. It's already happening at F$U, some transfers have already picked the SemenHoles because they are GUARANTEED to have roster spots AND playing time.

Advertisement
Drewny86 really doesn't know what he is talking about.

Lots of schools have made lots of suggestions. So there is a lot of "discussion". That doesn't mean that all of those things will come to pass.

The simple reality is that the NCAA has to do something, because MATH. There are just way too many kids in the portal, and too few remaining ICs (under the current IC rules). Unless the NCAA wants to have a ton of kids who never finish their degrees, they will do something soon.

The next step is what to do. There are lots of "easy fixes" that would work for one year, but not on a permanent basis. For instance, "let a school get back to 85" would let F$U sign about 40 transfers, but it would also lead to questionable future practices where schools push out kids. Or "giving an extra 5 ICs" would help, but what is to prevent Alabama or Clemson from using their windfall ICs on high school kids?

"Sustainable" would be a situation where schools are allowed an extra "transfer-IN-only-IC" for every in-good-standing "transfer-out". I am not sure if the NCAA will do that for 2021, they may do something quick-and-easy for now, but the one-transfer-in-for-one-transfer-out is a very workable solution for the future.

Don't wager your grocery money on anything that Drewny86 says, he really doesn't have any inside info, he just regurgitates what others say.

Look at his "claims":

1. "Look for transfers to not count towards the initial 25 count for the next 2 seasons." I have long made the argument for separate treatment for HS/JuCo kids and "transfer" kids. If this "nugget" was anywhere close to being a "known reality" among universities and colleges, though, you would already see a LOT more transfers immediately declaring their destinations. Sorry, but I don't think "Drewny86" has solid info here. Maybe it will happen, maybe it will not, but it's not anywhere near as much of a done deal as he seems to claim.

2. "The NCAA is going to allow football teams to carry 95 Non-Senior football players this upcoming season" yada yada yada. First, the NCAA has already said that 2020 seniors are exempt, so I'm not sure how/why/why Drewny86 has chosen a number of 95, with an elaborate stepdown mechanism. Second, it is baffling as to why Drewny86 even mentions this, as there are two different and distinct problems to deal with, (a) the potential overflow on COUNTER numbers due to the "free Covid year" of eligibility, and (b) the high number of transfers. Again, 25 ICs and 85 counters are two separate rules, and the NCAA has already made a one-year rule change on 85 counters. I would also point out that (similar to my response in #1), if this was such a "known solution", you would already see more schools taking more transfers NOW, because it won't impact their HS/JuCo recruiting numbers. And that is not currently happening.

3. "NCAA is debating waiving the Standarized test scores permanently but raising the GPA requirement to a 2.75" Again, I'm not even sure why Drewny86 mentions this, he probably took this "nugget" from someone and included it to appear more insider-ish. Very few kids fail to qualify SOLELY because of the test score. There is a strong overlap between "poor GPA/core curriculum" and "poor test scores". And the NCAA has already been moving heavily towards the "GPA/core curriculum" emphasis, with the new "academic redshirt" rule. Plus, I would simply argue that if THIS RULE was really so imminent, there is NO WAY that the Gaytors would have dropped MULTIPLE talented commits for academic reasons, they would have just signed them and put up with the 1 lost year of eligibility in order to keep that "Gaytor recruiting class ranking".

4. "Another topic being debated is freezing the eligibility clock for players in the portal at the start of the 2021 season." Nobody even knows what in the **** this means. Who will be in the portal at the START of the 2021 season? Is Dopey Drew suggesting that kids will STILL be in the Portal nine months from now, and that the NCAA will just toll their eligibility? Makes no sense at all. The NCAA wants kids enrolled, wants kids making academic progress, wants kids earning degrees.

Look, I could take about 10 pieces of NCAA ****-rumors, and fling them at a wall, and if four of them come true, I could appoint myself as some sort of insider, which is pretty much what Drewny86 is doing here.

The NCAA is going to do something, and soon. But Drewny86 has no freaking clue.

Honest educated guesses: NCAA rule-changes for transfers (and "transfer ICs") happen in the first 2-3 weeks of January, so that transfers can enroll in the spring semester. Then, there will be a wild 100-car-pile-up for the remaining HS, JuCo, and transfer kids, NOT SOLELY BASED ON ICS AND COUNTERS, but also based on depth chart perceptions and playing-time promises. It's already happening at F$U, some transfers have already picked the SemenHoles because they are GUARANTEED to have roster spots AND playing time.
Drew’s post is in VIP so I am copying what the gaytor board posted which they credited to him.

Drew’s post is in VIP so I am copying what the gaytor board posted which they credited to him.

Yeah, Dopey Drew can pay for access, so that he has a lower chance of being banned over there, but that doesn't make him an expert.

It's all good. There are a lot of proposals that have been made to the NCAA, but if any of the universities had greater-than-50%-certainty on the transfer rule changes, they'd be taking verbals from transfer kids like crazy.

he gets his info from people outside these fan boards. I don't believe he makes it up. I have also seen speculation about some of what he says on other team 247 boards - not the entirety of what he posted but pieces.

he gets his info from people outside these fan boards. I don't believe he makes it up. I have also seen speculation about some of what he says on other team 247 boards - not the entirety of what he posted but pieces.
He’s had information before. I don’t know where he gets it.

Advertisement
Back