Why do some fans have a problem with Duke?

***** Duke. Yes, all RBs fumble, but Duke is known for Fumbling. Good riddance of his "No Signature Game" having ***.....

Advertisement
I like Duke and all, but you are simply wrong, OP.

1) Of the top ten running backs in the country this year, duke is the most prolific fumbler from a carry/fumble standpoint over the course of his career. People can defend the volume of fumbles all they want, but it is merely a product of duke being injury prone and missing so many reps throughout his career. Duke has fumble problems. This is a fact.

2) We only played two big games this year. Nebraska and FSU. Guess what my memory of those games is going to be? Duke losing a game changing fumble against Nebraska, Duke being on the sideline late in the game vs. FSU. He did not make big time plays, in big time games.

He sacrificed himself during what may turn out to be the darkest period of being a cane fan since color TV. For that I am greatful and am glad to have watched him. But lets not make him something he is not. I can acknowledge these things and not have a problem with Duke.

I hope you choke on dirty horse cack

Would you take duke with 5 fumbles a game that are meaningless
Or
One per game at key moments
Well duke has had tons of key plays that went wrong bc of him alone

Folden groomed Duke to be a Fumbler. Duke was never punished for Fumbling. Let's take a look back. Remember the USF game a few years ago? Duke fumbled not once but twice inside the 10 yard line and was never told to have a seat on the bench.

Good riddance.....

Advertisement

1) Of the top ten running backs in the country this year, duke is the most prolific fumbler from a carry/fumble standpoint over the course of his career. People can defend the volume of fumbles all they want, but it is merely a product of duke being injury prone and missing so many reps throughout his career. Duke has fumble problems. This is a fact.

2) We only played two big games this year. Nebraska and FSU. Guess what my memory of those games is going to be? Duke losing a game changing fumble against Nebraska, Duke being on the sideline late in the game vs. FSU. He did not make big time plays, in big time games.

He sacrificed himself during what may turn out to be the darkest period of being a cane fan since color TV. For that I am greatful and am glad to have watched him. But lets not make him something he is not. I can acknowledge these things and not have a problem with Duke.

Lol how can u say he was a prolific fumbler after op just pulled up the stats for u and compared them to all the other top backs!?

Lol how can u say he was a prolific fumbler after op just pulled up the stats for u and compared them to all the other top backs!?

Here is a list of the top ten rushers in the country this year, except it is in order of career carries/fumble lost. Which one is duke johnson?

1- Never lost a fumbled in his career
2- 303
3- 211
4- 132
5- 113
6- 97
7- 90
8- 89
9- 80
10- 75

Duke is number 10. You can say 7 lost fumbles isn't a lot, but duke also missed a lot of time injured, and doesn't carry the ball as much. I get it, all of the anti golden crowd is valiantly defending anything and everything player at the moment, and this comes off as blasphemous. Whatever. This isn't something that will be contested in a few years time.

Here is a list of the top ten rushers in the country this year, except it is in order of career carries/fumble lost. Which one is duke johnson?

1- Never lost a fumbled in his career
2- 303
3- 211
4- 132
5- 113
6- 97
7- 90
8- 89
9- 80
10- 75

Duke is number 10. You can say 7 lost fumbles isn't a lot, but duke also missed a lot of time injured, and doesn't carry the ball as much. I get it, all of the anti golden crowd is valiantly defending anything and everything player at the moment, and this comes off as blasphemous. Whatever. This isn't something that will be contested in a few years time.

Does that include receptions?

Advertisement
Lmao at the Goldenbots calling Duke a "prolific fumbler".

630+ career touches as a KR, RB and receiver, and 7 fumbles total.

"Fumbles lost" is a moot stat, you can't credit other RBs for having a lucky bounce. Duke put the ball on the ground 7 times.

Is Kaaya a "prolific interception thrower?" Because by your metric his 12 int's in one season is going to be 5 times worse than Dukes "prolific fumbling" after three seasons.

Folden groomed Duke to be a Fumbler. Duke was never punished for Fumbling. Let's take a look back. Remember the USF game a few years ago? Duke fumbled not once but twice inside the 10 yard line and was never told to have a seat on the bench.

Good riddance.....

I'm pretty sure he lost the start the next game and was listed as second on the depth chart. Either way, yoh are correct that he basically went unscathed after fumbles since we had no better option.

I'll say this, I thought he was suspect until this past season. I still wouldn't put him in my top five at his position, but those are some great backs ahead of him. He's also played under our worst staff in three decades.

The rest I said above. We'll miss him this year for certain and no, I'm not sleeping on Yearby....I just don't see a game changer there.

Let me understand this, Duke leaves at end of three years as leading rusher in the hist history of a school once known as Running Back U with only 7 fumbles, one I believe while sustaining a broken leg a the is a FACTUAL fumbling problem? Put Duke Johnson on a Cane team with real coaching from any of 4 former HCs and he has an historic career of unbelievable status. Them same would be true of OJ and Foreman. You cannot ignore the fact that for 2/3 of Duke's career the TE was a forgotten position at TE U. Until Brad got here and started throwing over the middle to the TE, safeties and MLBs had no fears loading the box. This staff is horrific in every aspect of coaching. The truth is that Duke is the one player we have that is good enough to overcome their horrible coaching.

Let me understand this, Duke leaves at end of three years as leading rusher in the hist history of a school once known as Running Back U with only 7 fumbles, one I believe while sustaining a broken leg a the is a FACTUAL fumbling problem? Put Duke Johnson on a Cane team with real coaching from any of 4 former HCs and he has an historic career of unbelievable status. Them same would be true of OJ and Foreman. You cannot ignore the fact that for 2/3 of Duke's career the TE was a forgotten position at TE U. Until Brad got here and started throwing over the middle to the TE, safeties and MLBs had no fears loading the box. This staff is horrific in every aspect of coaching. The truth is that Duke is the one player we have that is good enough to overcome their horrible coaching.

He wasn't the only one but yes. I agree.

Advertisement

Unless I'm mistaking and you can correct me if I'm wrong, there is only one person saying he doesn't like Duke and that is a known FSU fan. Any real or even a casual Cane doesn't hate Duke. Did Duke have some fumbles? Yes, but most of them came to him trying to do too much, get more yards because he and everyone knew the team went through him. Duke is prob top 5 if not top 10 player in Miami history.

westcoastcanes, I'm not questioning your stats. But where did you get them?

You should question them, they are garbage. Outside of gurley, duke has by far the best touch to fumble ratio of all top rb's in the country. Those are the facts. These fans are clowns. Everytime this comes up I hear all this talk of all these major fumbles that cost us. then for some strange reason, all they mention is the ONE against Nebraska.

Advertisement
Here is the problem with anyone who criticizes Duke is about. He did fumble on key plays but only after taking some brutal shots (like damaging his ankle by FSU) and almost knocking him out in a couple of other games because of poor execution. I would argue that Duke was UM's best player in 2012 and 2013 because of the all purpose yardage advantage it gave to Morris and the O. He became fine pass receiver in his senior year. Basically, he got better each year. Life is Life, sometimes all the stars align for you and sometimes they don't. Duke has earned everyone's respect. You need a guy to run a solid 4 yards on any play but also be a factor in the passing game. The NFL game is changing. Duke is like Sam Shields. You just can't ignore the speed. Toss him a pass out of back field and you get at least five yards. Shades of Tony Nathan. Someone is going to jump on Duke's talent more than anyone here thinks will happen.

OP, I will always be thankful Duke decided to come play for this program, but never play down our past greats. In order to try and prove a point.

Anyone of those backs you mentioned would have put up the same. If not better numbers as Johnson if you swapped them. It's not as if those 3 you mentioned never proved any worth beyond playing here. 1 has over 11,000 yards and another in just shy of 10 grand in 9 seasons. The 3rd may not have had the greatest NFL career, but he **** sure may have had the greatest single season in this programs history.

Also was a major reason for that 2002 team making it back to the title game.

[video=youtube;E54uCb7zZBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E54uCb7zZBI[/video]

His 6 TD vs VT was another reason.

I don't think many people really dislike Duke. It's just another way to **** with low-IQ, easy marks on here.

I could probably start a thread saying that great Sean Taylor was the worst safety in UM history and it would turn into a 50 page thread.

Because NO ONE says **** about Sean Taylor

It is not that Duke was bad, So who's to blame for us having to depend on Duke so much. I believe that we depended on him so much that we ran him to the dirt.

Advertisement
Back