Why Dan Mullen should not be coach

407cane

All-ACC
Recounting Mississippi State's struggles against ranked opponents in Mullen era

"But Mississippi State has actually struggled more as Mullen’s tenure in Starkville has progressed."

^he's getting worse

Dan Mullen is 4-25 (13%) against ranked teams

this year he went 0-4

This year 8-4 not counting bowl game yet

0-4 against ranked teams (lsu, alabama, ole miss, texas A and M) 3 of these teams are not even currently ranked so maybe we can count that as losing to three unranked teams? or not winning against ranked teams. however you wanna look at it I guess

Last year his best year and ceiling 10-3 (

3-3 against ranked teams (beat #8 lsu, #6 tx A&m, #2 auburn) (loss to #5 alabama, #19 ole miss, #13 georgia tech)

georgia tech, alabama, auburn, and ole miss were the only ones who finished the season ranked (lsu and texas a&m finished terribly)

so if we're going on final rankings, he went 1-3 against ranked teams here

keep in mind he won ten games. These are the teams he beat to win ten games:
1)South Alabama
2Southern Miss
3)UAB
4)UT Martin
5)Vanderbilt
6)Kentucky
7)Arkansas

I'll give him props for beating LSU and Tx A&M however both of these teams finished UNRANKED

only legit win here was auburn and beating guz malzahn

2013 7-6
the year that really bothers me

Mullen went up against 5 ranked teams and lost all five games ( he also lost to auburn who ended the season ranked 2nd.) All of these teams, okie state, auburn,lsu, texas A&M, alabama, south carolina ended up ranked in the top 25

so that puts him at 0-6 against ranked teams for the year and finished the season with two over time nail biter wins against 8-5 ole miss and 3-9 arkansas

2012 8-5

0-4 against ranked teams (loss to alabama 38-7, texas A&M 38-13, LSU 37-17, 34-20 Northwestern and got blown out by unranked ole miss 41-24
the four teams outside of ole miss I mentioned, all finished season ranked. so that 0-4 for the year

his wins that year?
1)jackson state
2)unranked auburn
3)troy in a nail biter
4)south alabama
5)kentucky
6)tennessee
7)middle tennessee
8)arkansas (4-8)

2011 7-6

faced 4 ranked teams at the time, lost all four games (lsu, south carolina, arkansas, alabama). also lost to auburn and georgia (thats all six sec losses for those keeping track)

all these teams except auburn finished ranked, so thats 0-5 against ranked teams

2010 9-4

he faced five ranked teams that year. Auburn, LSU, Florida, Arkansas, and Alabama.

He went 1-4 against them, beating florida 10-7 (oh and florida finished the year unranked)

I won't include 2009 because it was his first year

It is clear to anyone that this man is not the right choice for miami football. i'm not saying that Richt is amazing or Butch I'm just saying that it would be a complete failure by this admin to hire this fraud. I don't know how he's getting so much money to do absolutely nothing remarkable

I know his fans will neg me and say he was undermatched...HE'S IN YEAR 7!! it's his fault he is undermatched! he needs to recruit better. He hasn't shown any ability to recruit at an elite level, the guy has the biggest ego ever, and his been abysmal his whole coaching career

I'm not arguing for another candidate here. I just want someone to justify him being a legit candidate. I know people say he's undermatched however 7 years in, that is only on him and it's apparent that he can't recruit effectively then so that is not an excuse for continuing to lose to good teams

I don't have time to run the numbers but i would love to see the teams he's beaten winning percentage. I'm guessing historically low (not counting the numerous FCS opponents)

he has beaten 3 teams this year with a winning record: LA Tech, Southern Mississippi, and 7-5 Arkansas( won 51-50 on a late blocked field goal to the save the game)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have come to the collusion only a few people on here want him

Are those retards and trolling us?

I think trolling

no Miami can want this guy

Mullen detractors are low IQ individuals who lack foresight and are incapable of understanding context.

neg all you want. nobody has any defense for that and he's proven to be a corch

Mullen detractors are low IQ individuals who lack foresight and are incapable of understanding context.

No we just don't like average coaches that never best teams they shouldn't and finish in 5th place in their division yearly

nothing he has done has shown he can lead us

Advertisement

any defense for mullen or against the FACTS that are stated in the OP? or just want to state dumb insults?

The defense would be that Mullen has taken Mississippi State to it's reasonable apex in the most difficult division in college football and it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

Advertisement
"But Mississippi State has actually struggled more as Mullen’s tenure in Starkville has progressed."

It is clear to anyone that this man is not the right choice for miami football. i'm not saying that Richt is amazing or Butch I'm just saying that it would be a complete failure by this admin to hire this fraud. I don't know how he's getting so much money to do absolutely nothing remarkable

I know his fans will neg me and say he was undermatched...HE'S IN YEAR 7!! it's his fault he is undermatched! he needs to recruit better. He hasn't shown any ability to recruit at an elite level, the guy has the biggest ego ever, and his been abysmal his whole coaching career

I'm not arguing for another candidate here. I just want someone to justify him being a legit candidate. I know people say he's undermatched however 7 years in, that is only on him and it's apparent that he can't recruit effectively then so that is not an excuse for continuing to lose to good teams

I don't have time to run the numbers but i would love to see the teams he's beaten winning percentage. I'm guessing historically low (not counting the numerous FCS opponents)

The underlined part: this is untrue. Both his winning percentage in conference and out of conference have gone up.

Here is his record over the first 4 years: 29-22 (13-19)
Here is his record over the last 3 years: 25-13 (13-11) [Keep in mind this year isn't finished]

Recruit better at MSU. Here is his recruiting ranking since his tenure began...

2009: 25th
2010: 38th
2011: 44th
2012: 30th
2013: 26th
2014: 37th
2015: 16th

I think he has been recruiting better.

Here is his recruiting average over the first 4 years: 34.25
Here is his recruiting average over over the last 3 years: 26.33

Although the numbers aren't dramatic, the increase can be seen above. Perhaps this is part of the reason why his on the field performance is improving because his talent is improving. I think the other reason he is improving is he is learning. He is only 43. He went to the job at 37. He learned under Meyer for awhile. I think if he stays at MSU, he will improve a little more. I think MSU has a ceiling though and it would take a special coach to lift that bar.

I don't think anyone has said he was "undermatched". I think we described the program as inferior and a cesspool when compared to the other SEC teams. Now the program is getting better, it still isn't great but they're out of the cesspool category. People fail to realize what he inherited and in an extremely difficult conference. This isn't building a program at a crap school in a crap conference. This is tough conference.

I also don't think that anyone has this guy as their number one choice. I think he is better and worth the risk over the named potential candidates we keep hearing (Butch, Schiano and Richt).

Last edited:

any defense for mullen or against the FACTS that are stated in the OP? or just want to state dumb insults?

The defense would be that Mullen has taken Mississippi State to it's reasonable apex in the most difficult division in college football and it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

He's finished 4th or 5th in the SEC West every year, but last year (2nd). And even that year he absolutely blew it down the stretch to Ole Miss and Ga Tech. He only beat one end-of-year ranked team - Auburn.

For seven years of work, that does not indicate he's a top level coach that will resurrect UM.

can he win big games?
can he assemble great staffs?
can he recruit?

No one can answer yes to these

He's actually assembled pretty good staffs at MSU. His former offensive coordinator is one of the more respected young mid major coaches in the country. His former defensive coordinator is a budding star coaching prospect. Even Manny Diaz was able to parlay some success to an opportunity at Texas.

Advertisement

This.

I've already written a lengthy post on how amazing Mullen's accomplishments at Mississippi State have been relative to the program's history and its position within its conference.

I have no desire to engage with common street peasants on the subject any longer when they fail to account for circumstances, so instead I'll continue chucking tomatoes at you and laughing.

The underlined part: this is untrue. Both his winning percentage in conference and out of conference has gone up.

Here is his record over the first 4 years: 29-22 (13-19)
Here is his record over the last 3 years: 25-13 (13-11) [Keep in mind year 3 isn't finished]

Recruit better at MSU. Here is his recruiting ranking since his tenure began...

2009: 25th
2010: 38th
2011: 44th
2012: 30th
2013: 26th
2014: 37th
2015: 16th

I think he has been recruiting better.

Here is his recruiting average over the first 4 years: 34.25
Here is his recruiting average over over the last 3 years: 26.33

Although the numbers aren't dramatic, the increase can be seen above. Perhaps this is part of the reason why his on the field performance is improving because his talent is improving. I think the other reason he is improving is he is learning. He is only 43. He went to the job at 37. He learned under Meyer for awhile. I think if he stays at MSU, he will improve a little more. I think MSU has a ceiling though and it would take a special coach to lift that bar.

I don't think anyone has said he was "undermatched". I think we described the program as inferior and a cesspool when compared to the other SEC teams. Now the program is getting better, it still isn't great but they're out of the cesspool category. People fail to realize what he inherited and in an extremely difficult conference. This isn't building a program at a crap school in a crap conference. This is tough conference.

I also don't think that anyone has this guy as their number one choice. I think he is better and worth the risk over the named potential candidates we keep hearing (Butch, Schiano and Richt).

My point was against ranked teams, not his overall winning record. The majority of his wins have come against low echelon teams in my opinion

I know his recruiting has gotten better, I wasn't knocking that. it's jsut his fans biggest excuse was that his teams were worse than the competition but in year 7 that falls on him

Advertisement

This.

I've already written a lengthy post on how amazing Mullen's accomplishments at Mississippi State have been relative to the program's history and its position within its conference.

I have no desire to engage with common street peasants on the subject any longer when they fail to account for circumstances, so instead I'll continue chucking tomatoes at you and laughing.

It is comical.

He's finished 4th or 5th in the SEC West every year, but last year (2nd). And even that year he absolutely blew it down the stretch to Ole Miss and Ga Tech. He only beat one end-of-year ranked team - Auburn.

For seven years of work, that does not indicate he's a top level coach that will resurrect UM.

Which is why it's important to project potential, consider how the coach would do given the resources available at Miami. Look beyond number. Be a visionary.

What's funny is, if he were a hot coordinator that took a Group of 5 gig, padded his numbers against so so teams year in and year out, his resume would appear cleaner. He'd be easier for people to digest. But because he builds a respectable program in the SEC and takes his lumps, it's more difficult for people to have foresight beyond the numbers.

Every coaching candidate available has worst. That's apart of the industry.

Last edited:

This.

It is comical.

Whats comical is he hasn't accomplished anything and you want him to coach at Miami.
Again average nothing more

i'm not even trying to argue I just don't honestly understand how anyone could think he would be a good hire. He has shown no ability to coach against average-to-good teams

Advertisement
Back